+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

Tempestleo

Mar 18, 2013
Luigiovemma said:
Nope. I only emailed them once using the email I provided in my appplication package, never this one. I have no idea why they sent me rejection using this email. All the previous emails were sent to the one I provided.

I may call to ask them why...just to make sure this email is not some system glitch. It does seem real with all the CIC logo and correct personal information and my file number. I'm a bit confused right now...too much to process...my brain is at capacity I guess ??? :(

Do you usually contact with your supervisor by your academic email? if so I think there is a possibility that they contacted with your supervisor for background check and maybe your supervisor occasionally give them your email address. they were just not satisfied in this step and just reject you by this email rather than checking other materials again.

Uwindsor2009

Star Member
Dec 5, 2012
Luigiovemma said:
Nope. I only emailed them once using the email I provided in my appplication package, never this one. I have no idea why they sent me rejection using this email. All the previous emails were sent to the one I provided.

I may call to ask them why...just to make sure this email is not some system glitch. It does seem real with all the CIC logo and correct personal information and my file number. I'm a bit confused right now...too much to process...my brain is at capacity I guess ??? :(
interesting !! they can track once email id. may be in their database through ur client id. May be you have provided that email id while applying your study permit or off campus work permit.

worth to investigate. Just email them about your concern with the email id you have provided in you application. Also try to split the wording of your reference letter according to the NOC code as asbereth did in some previous post. just make a try

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
First: -03-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
Luigiovemma said:
Just out of curiosity...I don't know how many of those who got rejected are still in this forum. A couple of questions regarding the rejection email:

1. Is the title "Application:Exxxxxxxxx (your file number)"?
2. At the end does it specified which visa officer it is? In my email, it only says "case officier" but no name or initials whatsoever.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid because of this whole email address mystery...
If in doubt, you can request a confirmation from them. I don't think you will get to know the name of the v officer.

Luigiovemma

Star Member
Mar 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-20-2013
Nomination.....
03-05-2014
AOR Received.
04-30-2014
Med's Request
04-30-2014
Tempestleo said:
Do you usually contact with your supervisor by your academic email? if so I think there is a possibility that they contacted with your supervisor for background check and maybe your supervisor occasionally give them your email address. they were just not satisfied in this step and just reject you by this email rather than checking other materials again.
I don't think so. Just spoke with my supervisor today she didn't mention anything. And she's even more surprised than me that they rejected my application because of the letter...

nouroz99

Jan 6, 2013
Ok I am back after a big shock when I got my rejection letter, I decided to reapply. Meanwhile my Ielts is expired that means I have to sit for it again... :( I got a date in April 6 and planning to apply before the new rule applies in May. The reason of my rejection was a common one: The letter I sent was not enough to prove my claimed experience. This is what I got from them.

"I am not satisfied that you meet these requirements. You chose to submit a letter of reference from the XXX dated November X, 2011 that did not include a list of job duties or responsibilities. As such, I am not satisfied that you have the work experience as a Post-Secondary Teaching and Research Assistant as claimed in your application. Similarly, you chose to submit a letter of reference from the XXX dated June 24, 2008 that did not include a list of job duties or responsibilities. As such, I am not satisfied that you have the work experience as a University Teaching as claimed in your application. I also note that you were studying for your Masters degree and working at another job at the same time. Although you did provide a letter of reference from XXX for your work experience as a Consultant, the job duties listed did not match the actions contained in the lead statement and a substantial number of the main duties. As such, I could not accept it as evidence of your claimed work experience."

Clearly I made a mistake without including the TA/RA duties in the first place. However, there are a lot of people who are getting rejected despite giving nice letters. Can anyone tell/suggest what is the criteria they are looking for or it is just random to gamble on the application fee and time? If there is any successful application please let me know any format available. Also, is there any official statistics how many of the applications were actually accepted in PhD Stream in NOV 2011-Nov2012. This might give us an indication where are we? One of my friends also got rejected this morning despite giving the TA/RA letter.

Thanks

sarsanballa

Star Member
Mar 6, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Luigiovemma said:
Just out of curiosity...I don't know how many of those who got rejected are still in this forum. A couple of questions regarding the rejection email:

1. Is the title "Application:Exxxxxxxxx (your file number)"?
2. At the end does it specified which visa officer it is? In my email, it only says "case officier" but no name or initials whatsoever.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid because of this whole email address mystery...
I'm sorry to hear about your rejection, I was also rejected a while ago with the same reason about my phd reference letter. :( Anyways, stay positive.

As for the answer to your questions,
1. yes, the title of my rejection e-mail is "Application: Exxxxxxx (my file number)"
2. It didn't specify any visa office at the end of the e-mail, as a matter of fact, the following is what I have in the rejection e-mail:

Case Officer
Case Processing Pilot - Ottawa | Centre de Traitement Pilote – Ottawa – FA01772
Citizenship and Immigration Canada | Citoyenneté et Immigration Canada
219 Laurier Avenue West Ottawa ON K1A 1L1 | 219 avenue Laurier Ouest
7th Floor | 7ème étage, Section B
Ottawa ON K1A 1L1 Canada
Facsimile | Télécopieur 613-946-6059
E-mail I Courriel : OttPilot-immigration@cic.gc.ca
Site : www.cic.gc.ca
Disclaimer: By supplying your email address, you are initiating an email communication with CIC and thereby authorizing CIC to use your email address for communication with you including the transmission of personal information on your file/case.

+++++++++++++++

Désistement : En fournissant votre adresse électronique, vous établissez une communication par voie électronique avec CIC et, par conséquent,
CIC est autorisé à utiliser l'adresse électronique fournie à cette fin, y compris pour la transmission de renseignements personnels au sujet de votre dossier/cas

Hope this will help. :)

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
First: -03-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
nouroz99 said:
Ok I am back after a big shock when I got my rejection letter, I decided to reapply. Meanwhile my Ielts is expired that means I have to sit for it again... :( I got a date in April 6 and planning to apply before the new rule applies in May. The reason of my rejection was a common one: The letter I sent was not enough to prove my claimed experience. This is what I got from them.

"I am not satisfied that you meet these requirements. You chose to submit a letter of reference from the XXX dated November X, 2011 that did not include a list of job duties or responsibilities. As such, I am not satisfied that you have the work experience as a Post-Secondary Teaching and Research Assistant as claimed in your application. Similarly, you chose to submit a letter of reference from the XXX dated June 24, 2008 that did not include a list of job duties or responsibilities. As such, I am not satisfied that you have the work experience as a University Teaching as claimed in your application. I also note that you were studying for your Masters degree and working at another job at the same time. Although you did provide a letter of reference from XXX for your work experience as a Consultant, the job duties listed did not match the actions contained in the lead statement and a substantial number of the main duties. As such, I could not accept it as evidence of your claimed work experience."

Clearly I made a mistake without including the TA/RA duties in the first place. However, there are a lot of people who are getting rejected despite giving nice letters. Can anyone tell/suggest what is the criteria they are looking for or it is just random to gamble on the application fee and time? If there is any successful application please let me know any format available. Also, is there any official statistics how many of the applications were actually accepted in PhD Stream in NOV 2011-Nov2012. This might give us an indication where are we? One of my friends also got rejected this morning despite giving the TA/RA letter.

Thanks
Statistics from 2012 are going to take another year to be out. But you should not expect more than 70% of people approved. Considering that the processing time is greater than 14 months for a lot of people here, I am not very hopeful we are going to see much on that statistics neither, only on the 2013 ones, that will be out by 2014-5.
My suggestion about the letter is to ask you supervisor to put as much detail as possible. I had 3 jobs and each job had about a page long of text describing what I did, for how long, how much I got and the outcomes. A lot of stuff.

salam20

Jun 29, 2012
LANDED..........
asbereth said:
Hi salam20,

Can you tell us exactly what work experience you provided in your application? Also, you said you would get 66 points with just one year of work experience, did you include adaptability points for your wife's education? Depending on what she has, you can get up to 5 extra points.

About work experience, if my calculation is correct, you have around 3,100 hours for your experience back home (about 2,350 of which are continuous, so you're fine for minimum requirements) , so you'd need an additional 800 hours from RA/TA. If I understand correctly, you have 654 hours from your taxable RA from Jan 09 to April 10. And you have an additional 12 hours per week from TA in the period of September 09 to April 10? Did you include these hours with your initial submissions? If you did, then that should easily put you above 3,900 hours based only on your taxable RA/TA, and you have nothing to worry about, provided of course they accept your job descriptions and your foreign work experience as well.

The question is, once again, what did you provide with the initial submission? In my opinion, I think you should try your best to refrain from sending them additional documents unless they make a request for extra information. They may not consider it at all. As I said, the monthly award can be considered as 'salary' for RA (two of my friends got their PR through mostly non-taxable RA), even if it's non-taxable, but did you include it with your initial submissions? If you did, then they will consider it, provided they accept the descriptions. If you did not, then convincing them to add it to your work experience may be tough.
asbereth said:
Hi salam20,

Can you tell us exactly what work experience you provided in your application? Also, you said you would get 66 points with just one year of work experience, did you include adaptability points for your wife's education? Depending on what she has, you can get up to 5 extra points.

About work experience, if my calculation is correct, you have around 3,100 hours for your experience back home (about 2,350 of which are continuous, so you're fine for minimum requirements) , so you'd need an additional 800 hours from RA/TA. If I understand correctly, you have 654 hours from your taxable RA from Jan 09 to April 10. And you have an additional 12 hours per week from TA in the period of September 09 to April 10? Did you include these hours with your initial submissions? If you did, then that should easily put you above 3,900 hours based only on your taxable RA/TA, and you have nothing to worry about, provided of course they accept your job descriptions and your foreign work experience as well.

The question is, once again, what did you provide with the initial submission? In my opinion, I think you should try your best to refrain from sending them additional documents unless they make a request for extra information. They may not consider it at all. As I said, the monthly award can be considered as 'salary' for RA (two of my friends got their PR through mostly non-taxable RA), even if it's non-taxable, but did you include it with your initial submissions? If you did, then they will consider it, provided they accept the descriptions. If you did not, then convincing them to add it to your work experience may be tough.
0) Thanks alot for your reply, interest and help.
1) Yes, 66 including my wife.
2) The letter that I got from the univ. HR showed the following: ( 720 of continious work exp. and gap then 451 hours and a gap then 208 hours)
3) I guess what is considered that is equivelant to 12*(720/1950) = 4 months of full time.
4) I am worried of the wording and content of the work experience letter that I got from back home that shows 20 months. As, the duties are not listed not full time nor salary nor exact start nor end dates.
5) I have to get new work expereince letters to show the duties as stated by the NOC 2011 from both back home and Canada, 20 months and all hours of full time and part time, as well.
- I need to get new wording for the 20 months work exp. letters from back home.
- I need to get RA letters of full time work experience for the periods that is covered by awards / scholarships (taking into consideration the hours that I already submitted to CIC and minimum hour rates)
- I need to show that the part time work exp. was continious, but I will not be able to show that for the last period.
- Based on the new letters my work exp. will be (3 yrs +).
6) I am sorry for late reply but I was working on the letters, I need to provide the new letters asap.

aidina

Nov 21, 2012
nouroz99 said:

Thanks

What is your timeline by the way? Being rejected these days is something more than usual.

AF___

Star Member
Feb 1, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-01-12
Doc's Request.
09-01-13
Med's Request
22-03-13
Med's Done....
06-04-13
Passport Req..
22-11-13
VISA ISSUED...
06-12-13
AF___ said:
strange! so, they send me an email today as a reminder to submit the documents I sent them two month ago!!! I even sent them an email about a month ago and they acknowledged the receipt of the documents! Any thoughts?
f... idiots! they gave me a heart attack. Here is what they have to say, in case any of you is curious:

Please disregard the e-mail requesting the proof of funds again. The documents have been received and attached to your file.
I apologize for any confusion the second e-mail may have caused.
Currently, your application is in queue for review by an officer. No action is needed from your part, at this present time.
An immigration officer will be in contact with you if any further correspondence is needed.

ASG

Star Member
Aug 18, 2011
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone,

could the ones who have been accepted be kind enough to provide people of this forum an example of the TA/RA letter
you used?

It would be most hepful!

mike5182

Star Member
Feb 27, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, I also got rejected by the famous reason of reference letter. :'(

I am planning to apply again.

I have several questions, please help me.

1) For IELTS, can I just attach a copy and cover letter to explain it? the checklist indicated I can do this.
2) For my first application, I didn't provide my RA from my home county, can I provide it this time?
3) If I order a new copy of IELTS, how long will it take to get it? I am trying to call them, but the line is always busy. I sent an email to them and they didn't reply me.
Thanks for your help!

aidina

Nov 21, 2012
mike5182 said:
Hi, I also got rejected by the famous reason of reference letter. :'(

I am planning to apply again.

I have several questions, please help me.

1) For IELTS, can I just attach a copy and cover letter to explain it? the checklist indicated I can do this.
2) For my first application, I didn't provide my RA from my home county, can I provide it this time?
3) If I order a new copy of IELTS, how long will it take to get it? I am trying to call them, but the line is always busy. I sent an email to them and they didn't reply me.
Thanks for your help!
Regarding the IELTS, I think you can do it since they already have the original copy of it. You can also include RA from anywhere, why not? BTW, When did you get contacted?

Uwindsor2009

Star Member
Dec 5, 2012
nouroz99 said:

Thanks
Sorry to hear this......
Hope they want exact line from corresponding NOC code.

better to include those lines in the reference letter.