+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

indusvision

Sep 8, 2008
Hi TyrusX,

Did you get medical request by email or by regular post mail ?

Thanks.

TyrusX said:
nothing requested and nothing sent.

Also, I got an appointment already. Can you guys believe that they are packed? First available date is on February 5. I got mine with another doctor on February 8, but
i heard very good things about her!

ASG

Star Member
Aug 18, 2011
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
congrats Tyrus!!

now, I'm getting very worried about the NOC code I provided: I didn't give the TA/RA one, rather, I said that my NOC was for "biologist" because what I've been doing during my PhD totally corresponds to that job, but obviously I am a TA/RA...
So I didn't misrepresent myself, but I wonder if they might give me a hard time with this.

Any thoughts?

should I send them an email to explain that? or should I just wait, knowing that I filed my application in Feb 2012?
Or should I withdraw, hoping to get my money back or is it too late for that?

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
First: -03-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
indusvision said:
Hi TyrusX,

Did you get medical request by email or by regular post mail ?

Thanks.
email.

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
First: -03-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
ASG said:
congrats Tyrus!!

now, I'm getting very worried about the NOC code I provided: I didn't give the TA/RA one, rather, I said that my NOC was for "biologist" because what I've been doing during my PhD totally corresponds to that job, but obviously I am a TA/RA...
So I didn't misrepresent myself, but I wonder if they might give me a hard time with this.

Any thoughts?

should I send them an email to explain that? or should I just wait, knowing that I filed my application in Feb 2012?
Or should I withdraw, hoping to get my money back or is it too late for that?
I wonder about that as well. Maybe the best course of action would be to try to clarify it, but this would depend on the kind of work description that you used.

ASG

Star Member
Aug 18, 2011
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ok, here is the letter from my supervisor:

I have been ASG 's PhD advisor at XXX University since September 2008. Her role as a Ph.D. student has been to work as a teaching assistant for several undergraduate courses at the University (paid positions), conduct data analyses, fieldwork and lab work as part of her Ph.D. research. This work also includes presenting her research findings in the form of presentations at international conferences and peer-reviewed publications. Thus far her publications include:

Pub 1

Pub 2

ASG receives a total funding of $ XXX each year for four years of full-time study, including an annual tuition waiver of $ XXX. ASG works a minimum of 40 hours a week towards achieving her Ph.D., and performs teaching assistant duties as well as scientific research which roughly corresponds to the work a biologist would do.

Overall, ASG has a good academic standing in her graduate courses and is expecting to publish at least one more paper in the near future. As such, ASG has "professional" experience through her Ph.D. that would make here a candidate for several occupations after graduation (biologist, environmental consultant, research technician, among others). Should you need further information regarding ASG, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours truly,

ASG

Star Member
Aug 18, 2011
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
and here are the descriptions for NOC 2121 (the one I applied under)
2121 Biologists and related scientists

Biologists and related scientists conduct basic and applied research to extend knowledge of living organisms, to manage natural resources, and to develop new practices and products related to medicine and agriculture. They are employed in both laboratory and field settings by governments, environmental consulting companies, resource and utilities companies, chemical, pharmaceutical and biotechnical companies and health and educational institutions.

Main duties

Biologists perform some or all of the following duties:
Plan and conduct studies of the environment, and of the population, distribution, structure and functional characteristics and behaviour of plants and animals
Conduct ecological and environmental impact studies and prepare reports
Study, identify and classify plant and animal specimens
Conduct experiments in plant or animal growth, heredity and breeding
Prepare reports and plans for management of renewable resources
May supervise biological technologists and technicians and other scientists.

and 4012, for RA
4012 Post-secondary teaching and research assistants

Post-secondary teaching and research assistants assist university professors, community college and CEGEP teachers and other faculty members in teaching and research activities at universities and colleges.

Example Titles

college laboratory assistant
college teaching assistant
graduate assistant – university
post-secondary research assistant
research assistant, university

Main duties

Post-secondary teaching assistants perform some or all of the following duties:
Organize reference materials, visual aids and other materials as required by university professors or college teachers for lectures
Conduct seminars, discussion groups and laboratory sessions to supplement lectures
Assist in the preparation and administration of examinations
Grade examinations, term papers and laboratory reports.

Research assistants perform some or all of the following duties:
Conduct literature reviews, surveys, laboratory experiments and other research for use in scholarly publications
Compile research results and assist professors in the analysis of results and the preparation of journal articles or papers.
Post-secondary teaching and research assistants specialize in a subject matter based on their field of study.

Employment requirements

Enrolment in a university or college program is required.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DOOOOOO :-[ :-[ :-[

indusvision

Sep 8, 2008
I think your application should be fine under 2121 Biologists and related scientists, as long as your work experience letter corresponds to the main duties described in the NOC.

You are not just a general TA and RA, but you have specific research work under a particular NOC. As long as you can demonstrate that, it should be fine.

Infact a general TA and RA has always been questionable.

I know some applications from year 2010, who had similar situation, but they are already PRs.

All the best !

mehroonir

Star Member
Jul 16, 2012
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
TyrusX said:
CONGRATS.

AND EXTRA GOOD NEWS.

I JUST GOT MEDICAL REQUEST. I am almost having a heart attach because my problems with my co-supervisor (that moved away and wants me to move to another country with him) were really upsetting me. I am glad!
Parabens meu amigo!!!

Dani1982

Star Member
Nov 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-07-2012
Nomination.....
26-09-2012
TyrusX said:
CONGRATS.

AND EXTRA GOOD NEWS.

I JUST GOT MEDICAL REQUEST. I am almost having a heart attach because my problems with my co-supervisor (that moved away and wants me to move to another country with him) were really upsetting me. I am glad!
Congrats man !

salam20

Jun 29, 2012
LANDED..........
ASG said:
and here are the descriptions for NOC 2121 (the one I applied under)
2121 Biologists and related scientists

Biologists and related scientists conduct basic and applied research to extend knowledge of living organisms, to manage natural resources, and to develop new practices and products related to medicine and agriculture. They are employed in both laboratory and field settings by governments, environmental consulting companies, resource and utilities companies, chemical, pharmaceutical and biotechnical companies and health and educational institutions.

Main duties

Biologists perform some or all of the following duties:
Plan and conduct studies of the environment, and of the population, distribution, structure and functional characteristics and behaviour of plants and animals
Conduct ecological and environmental impact studies and prepare reports
Study, identify and classify plant and animal specimens
Conduct experiments in plant or animal growth, heredity and breeding
Prepare reports and plans for management of renewable resources
May supervise biological technologists and technicians and other scientists.

and 4012, for RA
4012 Post-secondary teaching and research assistants

Post-secondary teaching and research assistants assist university professors, community college and CEGEP teachers and other faculty members in teaching and research activities at universities and colleges.

Example Titles

college laboratory assistant
college teaching assistant
graduate assistant – university
post-secondary research assistant
research assistant, university

Main duties

Post-secondary teaching assistants perform some or all of the following duties:
Organize reference materials, visual aids and other materials as required by university professors or college teachers for lectures
Conduct seminars, discussion groups and laboratory sessions to supplement lectures
Assist in the preparation and administration of examinations
Grade examinations, term papers and laboratory reports.

Research assistants perform some or all of the following duties:
Conduct literature reviews, surveys, laboratory experiments and other research for use in scholarly publications
Compile research results and assist professors in the analysis of results and the preparation of journal articles or papers.
Post-secondary teaching and research assistants specialize in a subject matter based on their field of study.

Employment requirements

Enrolment in a university or college program is required.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DOOOOOO :-[ :-[ :-[
I guess RA experience as long as you ar a student.

MH_A

Star Member
Aug 12, 2012
TyrusX said:
CONGRATS.

AND EXTRA GOOD NEWS.

Congrats TyrusX,
Wish you the best!

anjuku

Mar 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo (now transferred to Ottawa)
NOC Code......
4011 and 4012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-04-2012
Doc's Request.
16-05-2013
Nomination.....
25-04-2012 (PER)
IELTS Request
SENT WITH APPLICATION (OVERALL BAND SCORE 8.5)
Med's Request
17-05-2013
Med's Done....
23-05-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-06-2013; Passports sent in on 22-06- 2013; Passports received by ottawa on 25-06-2013
VISA ISSUED...
visas received on July 9, 2013
LANDED..........
July 10, 2013
ASG said:
ok, here is the letter from my supervisor:

I have been ASG 's PhD advisor at XXX University since September 2008. Her role as a Ph.D. student has been to work as a teaching assistant for several undergraduate courses at the University (paid positions), conduct data analyses, fieldwork and lab work as part of her Ph.D. research. This work also includes presenting her research findings in the form of presentations at international conferences and peer-reviewed publications. Thus far her publications include:

Pub 1

Pub 2

ASG receives a total funding of $ XXX each year for four years of full-time study, including an annual tuition waiver of $ XXX. ASG works a minimum of 40 hours a week towards achieving her Ph.D., and performs teaching assistant duties as well as scientific research which roughly corresponds to the work a biologist would do.

Overall, ASG has a good academic standing in her graduate courses and is expecting to publish at least one more paper in the near future. As such, ASG has "professional" experience through her Ph.D. that would make here a candidate for several occupations after graduation (biologist, environmental consultant, research technician, among others). Should you need further information regarding ASG, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours truly,
i think you should be fine...you should probably hear something from them soon since you are a feb applicant....so i don't think there is any point in sending any additional info right now....chances are they won't even look at it!

aidina

Nov 21, 2012
ahmadimo said:
Thanks for your answer, but for item 2., it is specified on the checklist that we should send Copies of letters of reference and originals might be requested later by an officer. Now I was wondering if non-English and English documents both need to be certified/notarized or not?

For item 3. , Could you give me a typical value for number of hours/week for a RA? because in my university it is not a common thing to supply hours/week

Thanks again
My RA was 36.25 hrs per week. Regarding the reference letters, mine were all original in English (RA and TA)

anjuku

Mar 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo (now transferred to Ottawa)
NOC Code......
4011 and 4012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-04-2012
Doc's Request.
16-05-2013
Nomination.....
25-04-2012 (PER)
IELTS Request
SENT WITH APPLICATION (OVERALL BAND SCORE 8.5)
Med's Request
17-05-2013
Med's Done....
23-05-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-06-2013; Passports sent in on 22-06- 2013; Passports received by ottawa on 25-06-2013
VISA ISSUED...
visas received on July 9, 2013
LANDED..........
July 10, 2013
aidina said:
My RA was 36.25 hrs per week. Regarding the reference letters, mine were all original in English (RA and TA)
i provided originals as well..

hamed_hamed_hamed

Jan 20, 2013
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-03-2013 (Re-app)
Doc's Request.
07-08-2013 & 20-10-2013
Med's Request
06-05-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Bluegen said:
It seems that CIC acknowledge your RA as working experience but the duties don't match NOC 4122 (RA by their definition). But the regulation does not require your job to cover all the duties mentioned. (i.e even if all you do is literature review, it should still count.) What CIC said essentially is your RA is not recognized as the RA experiences they are looking for, which, in my opinion, is ridiculous and unfair.

I updated my RAship and another work experience by sending a letter in June 2012. I sent them by mail. I don't know if it reached there or not. But they ignored it. Now, I'm preparing a letter to ask them why they did not consider my updated letter, while it is absolutely OK to send complementary documents. How can I better claim this? Any idea?

By the way in their email they say: "the list of duties contained in your letter of reference dated November 22, 2012 do not match the actions in the lead statement and a substantial number of the main duties under the NOC code you selected – NOC 4122."

What is the lead statement?