+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

aidina

Nov 21, 2012
dmn1363 said:
Hi guys,
My application for PhD stream was received at 9th December 2011. They rejected my application due to lack of work experience even though it has received PER at CIO. It seems people at Ottawa likes to reject applications.
It looks like no Iranian student got to the medical exam. (I'm Iranian too).
I attached the rejection reasons of my application while you can see how they can make couple of mistakes and reject your application.

Quote:"I am not satisfied that you meet the first part of these requirements because you have not demonstrated that you have at least one year of continuous, full-time work experience. According to your letter of reference from the University of British Columbia dated May 9, 2012, you worked as a Research Assistant from January 2009 until the date of your application for 50 weeks per year at 15 hours per week. This is the equivalent of 525 hours or 3.5 months of full-time work experience. The same letter indicated your work experience as a Graduate Teaching Assistant of 175 hours and as a Sessional Instructor of 210 hours. This is the equivalent of 2.5 months of full-time work experience. Your letter of reference from the National Research Council indicated that you worked for 25 hours per week between May 2010 and August 2010 and from January 2011 until April 2011. This work experience is the equivalent of 5 months of full-time work experience. Your total claimed work experience in NOC skill type 0 or skill level A or B occupations is 11 months; there was no indications that this work experience is continuous."
If all the numbers in the text above are right: 50*15=750 hrs which is equivalent to about 5 month! Furthermore, your letter states 750 hrs per year, not in total. He has made a mistake for sure, but it is unrelated to your nationality for sure. I totally disagree this newly arisen attitude towards Iranians. Please stop it my dear people. You can easily appeal this by the way.

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
First: -03-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
aidina said:
If all the numbers in the text above are right: 50*15=750 hrs which is equivalent to about 5 month! Furthermore, your letter states 750 hrs per year, not in total. He has made a mistake for sure, but it is unrelated to your nationality for sure. I totally disagree this newly arisen attitude towards Iranians. Please stop it my dear people. You can easily appeal this by the way.
No. It is not easy to appeal at Visa Office level. If he presents more information about work experience during that period of time he needs to be careful not to contradict what he stated before. If he presents documents saying he work 500 hours(lets say) as a RA in a year, he can't just resend another document saying that he worked 2000. He will have to explain it very well that he was mistaken at first. Maybe even necessary to get a lawyer for this case. The case here also seems to be the requirement for continuous work experience.

dmn1363

Star Member
Jan 12, 2013
TyrusX said:
No. It is not easy to appeal at Visa Office level. If he presents more information about work experience during that period of time he needs to be careful not to contradict what he stated before. If he presents documents saying he work 500 hours(lets say) as a RA in a year, he can't just resend another document saying that he worked 2000. He will have to explain it very well that he was mistaken at first. Maybe even necessary to get a lawyer for this case. The case here also seems to be the requirement for continuous work experience.
I agree. I talked to an immigration consultant at university and she told me in Canada there is no appeal for refusal. As you said, my work experience based on the letter was 50 weeks per year for 15 weeks which gave me 750 hrs not 525 (and not mentioning the years). I don't want to disappoint my Iranian fellow, and I just wanted to share my experience and as well to give you guys a heads up. *** Before sending any document, get a verified copy of that from a notary public, so in case they rejected your application, you would have that document for other stream's application ***

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
sent with application
dmn1363 said:
I agree. I talked to an immigration consultant at university and she told me in Canada there is no appeal for refusal. As you said, my work experience based on the letter was 50 weeks per year for 15 weeks which gave me 750 hrs not 525 (and not mentioning the years). I don't want to disappoint my Iranian fellow, and I just wanted to share my experience and as well to give you guys a heads up. *** Before sending any document, get a verified copy of that from a notary public, so in case they rejected your application, you would have that document for other stream's application ***
The fact that we are getting way more rejection than PR is a bit disturbing.

dmn1363

Star Member
Jan 12, 2013
TyrusX said:
The fact that we are getting way more rejection than PR is a bit disturbing.
I received the message TyrusX, but it seems I can't send out a message.
Following is my application details:
9 Dec 2011 received by CIO.
21 March 2012 NER for "Not meeting the minimum requirement of 1 year experience"
23 March 2012 Conctacted the CIO to provide a letter from University.
29 May 2012 PER from CIO.
27 Dec 2012 Rejection from CPP-Ottawa "Not meeting the minimum requirement of 1 year experience"
28 Dec 2012 Contacted the CPP-Ottawa for review due to the mistake in their calculation
29 Dec 2012 Received a letter mentioning no appeal is being considered

BTW:
4th year PHD student and Iranian

nouroz99

Jan 6, 2013
Hi dmn1363
I don't know what to say here. I completely cannot understand how a miscalculation can make a final decision?
Moreover, to me:

50 weeks/year*15hrs/week*3years (Jan 2009 - Dec 2011)= 2250 Hrs... + additional hrs from TA (let's not count NRC experience fr simplicity) :eek:

Am I doing something wrong here??
Regards

aililia

Star Member
Nov 12, 2012
dmn1363 said:
Hi guys,
My application for PhD stream was received at 9th December 2011. They rejected my application due to lack of work experience even though it has received PER at CIO. It seems people at Ottawa likes to reject applications.
I attached the rejection reasons of my application while you can see how they can make couple of mistakes and reject your application.

Quote:"I am not satisfied that you meet the first part of these requirements because you have not demonstrated that you have at least one year of continuous, full-time work experience. According to your letter of reference from the University of British Columbia dated May 9, 2012, you worked as a Research Assistant from January 2009 until the date of your application for 50 weeks per year at 15 hours per week. This is the equivalent of 525 hours or 3.5 months of full-time work experience. The same letter indicated your work experience as a Graduate Teaching Assistant of 175 hours and as a Sessional Instructor of 210 hours. This is the equivalent of 2.5 months of full-time work experience. Your letter of reference from the National Research Council indicated that you worked for 25 hours per week between May 2010 and August 2010 and from January 2011 until April 2011. This work experience is the equivalent of 5 months of full-time work experience. Your total claimed work experience in NOC skill type 0 or skill level A or B occupations is 11 months; there was no indications that this work experience is continuous."
I think the most interesting part of their decision is the very last part, i.e. continuous work experience. I think the officer was decided to reject your application and unfortunately they know how to do it.
In your case, I highly recommend you to consult with a immigration lawyer and appeal against the decision. You should take the decision to court, it would be costly and time consuming but for sure better than trying other ways.

and a question, are you single?

indusvision

Sep 8, 2008
hi dmn1363,

750 hours + 175 hours of GAT + 210 of sessional instructor + (25 x 8 hours in NRC) are your total hours, right ?

That makes total hours as 1335 hours.

1335 hours / 37.5 = 35.6 weeks of full time work = almost 9 months.

So, clearly this work experience is not enough for one year of full time equivalent experience.

Please correct me if I am wrong .

dmn1363 said:
Hi guys,

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
sent with application
dmn1363 said:
I received the message TyrusX, but it seems I can't send out a message.
Following is my application details:
9 Dec 2011 received by CIO.
21 March 2012 NER for "Not meeting the minimum requirement of 1 year experience"
23 March 2012 Conctacted the CIO to provide a letter from University.
29 May 2012 PER from CIO.
27 Dec 2012 Rejection from CPP-Ottawa "Not meeting the minimum requirement of 1 year experience"
28 Dec 2012 Contacted the CPP-Ottawa for review due to the mistake in their calculation
29 Dec 2012 Received a letter mentioning no appeal is being considered

BTW:
4th year PHD student and Iranian
Thanks dude. It s a pity you didn't come here before, we could have found a way to improve on your application. But here we can see a clear example of CIC work. It is easy to pass PER, because that's way they keep your money. I'm getting a bit anxious about the status of mine application already...

30pixie

Mar 29, 2012
TyrusX: I'm sorry, I have nothing new to tell you. As I said last time, when/if I get something new, I'll post here. Otherwise, please just assume I don't have news. Also, the forum doesn't allow me to reply to your direct messages.
Hope everyone's getting good news soon.

dmn1363

Star Member
Jan 12, 2013
indusvision said:
hi dmn1363,

750 hours + 175 hours of GAT + 210 of sessional instructor + (25 x 8 hours in NRC) are your total hours, right ?

That makes total hours as 1335 hours.

1335 hours / 37.5 = 35.6 weeks of full time work = almost 9 months.

So, clearly this work experience is not enough for one year of full time equivalent experience.

Please correct me if I am wrong .
Almost correct, just miss the 3 years of GRA which 750*3. Anyway, I hope it was just a mistake by an officer. Just as I said, keep several certified copies of your document, in case they make a mistake.
I won't go for appeal cause it needs lots of resources (time+money). I will send another application for PNP program. Hope that one works for me.
Best of luck for all you guys.

dmn1363

Star Member
Jan 12, 2013
indusvision said:
why wait for PNP ? just get another letter of work expereince from university and apply under PhD stream as cap is open now.
It seems to me the PhD stream is a new category for immigration officers (and a new section) and they are a bit strict on every aspects. PNP is well established now and has less requirements (just graduation letter). I won't try PhD and suggest others to wait and see the application results of the first groups (when I applied the CIC website showed the application number at that time was 58)

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
sent with application
dmn1363 said:
It seems to me the PhD stream is a new category for immigration officers (and a new section) and they are a bit strict on every aspects. PNP is well established now and has less requirements (just graduation letter). I won't try PhD and suggest others to wait and see the application results of the first groups (when I applied the CIC website showed the application number at that time was 58)
I think the PhD Stream is the hardest stream right know. But I think they are as strict as the others with respect to the regulations. One just needs to fulfill the requirements. All the information used by VO are available online for consultation. One just need to prepare a good application and get it checked against them. I'm not saying there will be no mistakes or misjudgments, but it should be fine if well done.