+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

aililia

Star Member
Nov 12, 2012
Hi guys,

I am new to this forum following the discussion.

What I understood from the last issue is that once the cap is reached they stop processing the applications and return them and starting Nov. 1st they restart reviewing the applications which is fine up to now and makes sense.

So my question is here:
When they receive an application they do not start reviewing it at the moment and it most likely stuck in there till someone responsible receive it. What date does the officer consider as the date of application; the day it was received by CIC or the date the officer review it?

indusvision

Sep 8, 2008
In my opinion it the date on which your application reaches CIO-Sydney. As per the CAIPS notes for many of my colleagues, there is a field where it says Application reached CIC. It does not matter when they open it (a week later or two or more ....), but they look at the date when it was marked received by CIC.

aililia said:
Hi guys,

I am new to this forum following the discussion.

What I understood from the last issue is that once the cap is reached they stop processing the applications and return them and starting Nov. 1st they restart reviewing the applications which is fine up to now and makes sense.

So my question is here:
When they receive an application they do not start reviewing it at the moment and it most likely stuck in there till someone responsible receive it. What date does the officer consider as the date of application; the day it was received by CIC or the date the officer review it?

indusvision

Sep 8, 2008
In that case, why don't we just email CIO-Sydney and request them to confirm if the cap has been reset on 5th November 2012 or not ?

maytheflower said:
cio-sydney-search-enquiry @ cic.gc.ca

the same one as indicated in the website

Stuck In Quebec

Jul 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
complicated
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2012
Doc's Request.
17-04-2013
AOR Received.
08-11-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
08-11-2012
Med's Request
23-11-2013
Med's Done....
29-11-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
06-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
16-01-3014
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
snow_walker said:
"The current cap year for the PhD stream ends on October 31, 2012, and unless otherwise indicated in a future Ministerial Instruction, the cap will be automatically reset on November 1, 2012." quoted from http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2012/ob438.asp

So OBVIOUSLY any application reached before November 1 WILL BE RETURNED and any application reached on or after 1 November WILL BE PROCESSED. WHICH PART HERE DIDN'T MAKE SENSE??!!!! Pls refrain from introducing confusion among applicants.
I completely agree with Snow_walker, the cap is reset after 1st Nov and unfortunately, applications received before will not be considered, though it sounds and is completely stupid. The online application status shows the date they received the application not when they opened it. So technically they have to return the application if the cap was reached on that date. The office goes by the book as they are trying to make the system transparent and faster. :eek:

@ The_Prince, your frustration is totally understandable but they have not returned yours yet. Wait and watch. God forbid if they do return, the cap is reset and it will give you another chance to open and check that everything is in order so that it is not returned for some bizarre reason. Nonetheless, they are gonna slow anyways due to holiday season (evident from the spreadsheet from last year's timelines). Take a deep breath. Besides aler123 has not responded yet, lets hear his/her story.

We are here to help each other and learn from mistakes made by others and prevent them. Let's keep it friendly.

Glass half full, glass half empty, choice is yours!!!

Good luck to all and hopefully all will be well soon.

The_Prince

Oct 3, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-12-2012
Doc's Request.
POF: 21-03-2014
Nomination.....
PER: 18-02-2013
IELTS Request
CELPIP (sent with application)
Med's Request
28-03-2014
Med's Done....
31-03-2014
Passport Req..
21-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
05-06-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
Stuck In Quebec said:
I completely agree with Snow_walker, the cap is reset after 1st Nov and unfortunately, applications received before will not be considered, though it sounds and is completely stupid. The online application status shows the date they received the application not when they opened it. So technically they have to return the application if the cap was reached on that date. The office goes by the book as they are trying to make the system transparent and faster. :eek:

@ The_Prince, your frustration is totally understandable but they have not returned yours yet. Wait and watch. God forbid if they do return, the cap is reset and it will give you another chance to open and check that everything is in order so that it is not returned for some bizarre reason. Nonetheless, they are gonna slow anyways due to holiday season (evident from the spreadsheet from last year's timelines). Take a deep breath. Besides aler123 has not responded yet, lets hear his/her story.

We are here to help each other and learn from mistakes made by others and prevent them. Let's keep it friendly.

Glass half full, glass half empty, choice is yours!!!

Good luck to all and hopefully all will be well soon.
Thanks for this nice and balanced post ;)

vickyfellas

Oct 2, 2012
Hey Guys!

So, my question is if the cap has reached, let say September 15, why they didn't update the website in the past 48 days?
Is it such a difficult job!

They can easily update their website but till now they have refused to do it!
This kind of behavior really sucks!

I don't know why I have had expected more respectful behavior.

VickyFellas!

maytheflower

Star Member
Sep 16, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Calm down. Guys, half a year's waiting is piece of cake. The time is flying especially when you are doing a PhD.

vickyfellas

Oct 2, 2012
Actually, I believe that they even don't know what they will going to do,
Probably there would be opposing view between those in charge and they didn't make decision till now.
Otherwise, they have updated the website!

So, unfortunately, I hardly believe that the cap has been reset and I have to wait to receive my application package for the second time!

Between, this disrespectful behavior just wasted my time and money.

VickeyFellas!

vickyfellas said:
Hey Guys!

So, my question is if the cap has reached, let say September 15, why they didn't update the website in the past 48 days?
Is it such a difficult job!

They can easily update their website but till now they have refused to do it!
This kind of behavior really sucks!

I don't know why I have had expected more respectful behavior.

VickyFellas!

maytheflower

Star Member
Sep 16, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
From the title of the office 'Case Processing Pilot', guys we should know we are the white mice in the lab. They are now thinking about changing the experimental parameters for next round experiment. ;D

I am not surprised CIC will change the rule again, as they did many times in the past 6 years.

But according to my experience, they will not work until Feburary. They will enjoy their vacation in advance, and wait for the new year's quota to take effect.

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
First: -03-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
http://www.canada.com/Buffalo+immigration+backlog+leaves+Canadians+limbo/7651119/story.html

maytheflower

Star Member
Sep 16, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
http://canadianimmigrant.ca/news-and-views/immigration-backlog-slashed-pre-2008-applicants-upset

This is worse story. Seven years' waiting for nothing ...

Feb2004

Feb 27, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa (OPNP)
NOC Code......
NA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-8-2014
Nomination.....
11-8-2014
AOR Received.
29-10-2014
IELTS Request
Med's Request
31-10-2014
Med's Done....
1-12-2014
Interview........
PCC & RPRF 21-5-2015 (in process);PCC reached 4th June, RPRF paid 5th June.
Passport Req..
DM & PPR 13 Aug
VISA ISSUED...
20 Aug 2015. PP & COPR recd 26-8-2015
LANDED..........
6 Sept 2015
I have received my application back. The letter says the cap has been reached and that the cap reopened on November 1st, 2012.
The letter states:
The Minister of Citizenship and Immigrtion issued instructions which were punlished in the Canada Gazette on June 25, 2011. Further instructions were published in the Canada Gazette on November 5, 2011. Only applicants who meet the criteria specified in these Ministerial Instructions are eligible to be processed in the Federal Worker class.
Your application was reached after the Cap of 1000, and therefore you do not meet the Ministerial Instructions and your application is not eligible for processing.
Subsections 87.3(2)-(3) are the pertinent sections of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.(Then the details are given).

[I am still trying to sink in the news, no idea what to do next.]

Feb2004

Feb 27, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa (OPNP)
NOC Code......
NA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-8-2014
Nomination.....
11-8-2014
AOR Received.
29-10-2014
IELTS Request
Med's Request
31-10-2014
Med's Done....
1-12-2014
Interview........
PCC & RPRF 21-5-2015 (in process);PCC reached 4th June, RPRF paid 5th June.
Passport Req..
DM & PPR 13 Aug
VISA ISSUED...
20 Aug 2015. PP & COPR recd 26-8-2015
LANDED..........
6 Sept 2015
The strange thing about the returned application is that on the top page they have stamped the received date. Then the application was further checked with red marks. My letter of attestaion from the University was taken out the from the sealed envelope. It means they went through the documentation, and maybe the cap was not reached then. Anyway, I will have to get a new bank letter. Will I have to get a new attestation letter, a more recent on? I need advice from people who had to resend their applications.
What a waste of effort considering that I was in the middle of my comps exams when I sent my application for fear of cap closing.

dayammrma

Nov 22, 2012
Feb2004 said:
The strange thing about the returned application is that on the top page they have stamped the received date. Then the application was further checked with red marks. My letter of attestaion from the University was taken out the from the sealed envelope. It means they went through the documentation, and maybe the cap was not reached then. Anyway, I will have to get a new bank letter. Will I have to get a new attestation letter, a more recent on? I need advice from people who had to resend their applications.
What a waste of effort considering that I was in the middle of my comps exams when I sent my application for fear of cap closing.
You don't have to redo any documents or statements if it us a cumbersome task. I had my package returned before for some reason and everything in the package was missed up with and red markers were all over the place. I called the CIC and the agent told me not to change anything which I did and I had my PER which indicated no objections on resending the same documents without update including the bank statement which was a 3 month old back then.

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
First: -03-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
Feb2004 said:
I have received my application back. The letter says the cap has been reached and that the cap reopened on November 1st, 2012.
The letter states:
The Minister of Citizenship and Immigrtion issued instructions which were punlished in the Canada Gazette on June 25, 2011. Further instructions were published in the Canada Gazette on November 5, 2011. Only applicants who meet the criteria specified in these Ministerial Instructions are eligible to be processed in the Federal Worker class.
Your application was reached after the Cap of 1000, and therefore you do not meet the Ministerial Instructions and your application is not eligible for processing.
Subsections 87.3(2)-(3) are the pertinent sections of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.(Then the details are given).

[I am still trying to sink in the news, no idea what to do next.]

So sorry to hear that. Unfortunately there was no way for us to know.
Even today the cap is still not updated. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/complete-applications.asp
Shame on them. Just send everything back ASAP. Everyone that submitted after you will be in the same situation. But I believe there will be less applicants this time.