+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

indusvision

Sep 8, 2008
TyrusX said:
I think he is wrong. He may have some internal information with respect to processing. Maybe the processing is on hold, but the applications can still be sent. But it is hard to believe they would put the stream on hold and not inform us.
I agree with TyrusX and asbereth. If you look at CIC website: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who-instructions.asp
It says "(A maximum of 1,000 applications from this category will be considered for processing each year. This will not be included in the total for any other cap. Applications will be considered in the order they are received. The first cap year for the PhD stream began on November 5, 2011.)"

Now according to this means that the cap is reset on 5 November 2012 and eligible applicants can submit their applications.

However, in early 2013 (month not known yet), they will issue new rules and criteria, and PhD applicants (after announcement of the new rules in early 2013) will then have to comply with the new rules and points system rather than the current one.

Seniors please comment.

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
First: -03-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
http://www.theprovince.com/business/Canada+should+boost+immigration+levels+starting+2014+report+says/7626210/story.html#axzz2Dd8XGNcw

This government is crazy. They can't deal with the current number of people applying, just imagine the mess it will be in a few years.

websphereguy

Mar 28, 2012
Singapore
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17 Jan 2014
Doc's Request.
send altogether during filing
Nomination.....
17 Apr 2014
Med's Request
23 Jun 2014
Med's Done....
02 Oct 2014
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
08 Apr 2015
VISA ISSUED...
27 Apr 2015
LANDED..........
02 May 2015
TyrusX said:
http://www.theprovince.com/business/Canada+should+boost+immigration+levels+starting+2014+report+says/7626210/story.html#axzz2Dd8XGNcw

This government is crazy. They can't deal with the current number of people applying, just imagine the mess it will be in a few years.
Same story with a wee bit more detail
http://www.thestarphoenix.com/business/Canada+should+boost+immigration+levels+starting+2014/7623990/story.html

salam20

Jun 29, 2012
LANDED..........
indusvision said:
I agree with TyrusX and asbereth. If you look at CIC website: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who-instructions.asp
It says "(A maximum of 1,000 applications from this category will be considered for processing each year. This will not be included in the total for any other cap. Applications will be considered in the order they are received. The first cap year for the PhD stream began on November 5, 2011.)"

Now according to this means that the cap is reset on 5 November 2012 and eligible applicants can submit their applications.

However, in early 2013 (month not known yet), they will issue new rules and criteria, and PhD applicants (after announcement of the new rules in early 2013) will then have to comply with the new rules and points system rather than the current one.

Seniors please comment.
I do not they would bother themselves and putting new rules to PhD stream.

S.David

Nov 19, 2012
Stuck In Quebec said:
Hi S.David

As I read in earlier posts that some of the applicants from Quebec were asked by the visa office to provide proof or explanation that they intend not to settle in Quebec. I got my PER earlier this month and plan to submit my CSQ rejection letter as proof that I am no way intending to stay in Quebec. Also the person who was asked to provide such a proof quoted the body of the letter ( skim through earlier posts) and the query posed was that he has just finished 2nd year and by the time he lands, he won't finish his PhD and can't land in Quebec without CSQ. I will be done in 4-5 months and I have job offers from outside of Quebec so that's my plan to show my thesis completion and job offer plus letter of rejection from Quebec. I in reality have no intentions of staying in Quebec and want out asap.

If I am you, depending upon your level of french and time to finish the degree, will apply to Quebec and have a file opened as a back up. There are a few good counsellors at Quebec Immigration and have brains where it's supposed to be. You might get lucky. I have intermediate level french now but will not apply to Quebec again to save time and money. Last option is PEQ which is guranteed. Even CSQ is almost guranteed once you graduate. I have friends with masters who were issued CSQ. If going this way, show intentions to stay in Quebec and ask your supervisor to employ you for a while.

Best of luck. I am pretty sure you will be more than ok.
I have no problem in staying in Quebec, and I am thinking of this option. But I need to strengthen myself in French first. I know some basics, but I need more I guess. For PEQ, I guess I need to have 6 months or less to be graduated to be eligible under this program, don't I?

Thanks

websphereguy

Mar 28, 2012
Singapore
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17 Jan 2014
Doc's Request.
send altogether during filing
Nomination.....
17 Apr 2014
Med's Request
23 Jun 2014
Med's Done....
02 Oct 2014
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
08 Apr 2015
VISA ISSUED...
27 Apr 2015
LANDED..........
02 May 2015
http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/world/canadian-visas-awarded-through-it-glitch-319774.html

How nice if it was - "IT glitch puts 1000 PhD stream applicants on front seat for PR"

indusvision

Sep 8, 2008
Guyz, an IT glitch granted visas to all applicants applied in PhD Stream ... oops sorry, just woke up !!!

I think the real error is how fast they keep on changing their policies. If it continues, it will make a lot of mess !

goldon

Star Member
Apr 24, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: How to calculate the points for "adaptability"?

hooman2012 said:
I used to have this question. After I called cic several time, one officer made it clear for me.

it is your "Previous study in Canada " which means that you have to finish your phd in order to get the point for that.
if you are still student it is your Current study not your Previous study. And I guess you can get the point for your wife but not yours.
Thanks so much for your reply! I am clear about this question.

goldon

Star Member
Apr 24, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

asbereth said:
This is the impression that I got as well, especially after several applications got rejected precisely because they weren't awarded these previous study points.

The wording is ambiguous, and while it states that you need to have completed the program, it also explicitly mentions that "there is no need to have obtained a degree or diploma for these two years of study to earn these points".

Starting next year, however, the wording has been revamped to go as follows:

So it does look like that any study period of two years would make one qualify for the 5 adaptability points.

Can you provide us with other information as per required by the spreadsheet so we can update it?
Thanks for pointing out the details! Especially the new regulations.

goldon

Star Member
Apr 24, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

asbereth said:
This is the impression that I got as well, especially after several applications got rejected precisely because they weren't awarded these previous study points.

The wording is ambiguous, and while it states that you need to have completed the program, it also explicitly mentions that "there is no need to have obtained a degree or diploma for these two years of study to earn these points".

Starting next year, however, the wording has been revamped to go as follows:

So it does look like that any study period of two years would make one qualify for the 5 adaptability points.

Can you provide us with other information as per required by the spreadsheet so we can update it?
I have another question. Since I can not be awarded 5 points for study experience in Canada. I am thinking to claim another adaptability.

My wife starts to work as a sales associate( full time) from June 2010, then she stopped her work because of her maternity leave from Jan 2011 to Feb 2012( She still had the job reserved). She came back to work in March 2012.

My question is: based on my wife's situation, can we be awarded 5 points for "spouse worked as a full time in Canada for at least one year"?
because she stopped work for a year. I don't know if this still count "full-time" job.

Her employer wouldn't like to give her reference letter as CIC request. They just gave her a letter states that" she started as a full-time sales associate from June 2010 to Oct 2012, her pay rate is XXX, and she works approximately 37.5 hours/week."

It doesn't mention the annual salary, the duties, and her maternity leave. I don't know if this letter can be used or not.

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
sent with application

goldon said:
I have another question. Since I can not be awarded 5 points for study experience in Canada. I am thinking to claim another adaptability.

My wife starts to work as a sales associate( full time) from June 2010, then she stopped her work because of her maternity leave from Jan 2011 to Feb 2012( She still had the job reserved). She came back to work in March 2012.

My question is: based on my wife's situation, can we be awarded 5 points for "spouse worked as a full time in Canada for at least one year"?
because she stopped work for a year. I don't know if this still count "full-time" job.

Her employer wouldn't like to give her reference letter as CIC request. They just gave her a letter states that" she started as a full-time sales associate from June 2010 to Oct 2012, her pay rate is XXX, and she works approximately 37.5 hours/week."

It doesn't mention the annual salary, the duties, and her maternity leave. I don't know if this letter can be used or not.
That letter is incomplete. CIC would not accept that. Why do you think you don't have 67 points?

goldon

Star Member
Apr 24, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

TyrusX said:
That letter is incomplete. CIC would not accept that. Why do you think you don't have 67 points?
Oh, that's bad news.

I calculated my points based on the instruction from CIC website. without adaptability, i only have 57 points. so I need 10 points from
adaptability.

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
sent with application

goldon said:
Oh, that's bad news.

I calculated my points based on the instruction from CIC website. without adaptability, i only have 57 points. so I need 10 points from
adaptability.
Kind of weird you only have 57 points. Can you show how many points you assigned to each part? I can't see how you can have so few points, i think you are forgetting something.

asbereth

Feb 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012<br>PR Fee Charged: 05-03-2012<br>PER Received..: 21-03-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013<br>In process.....: 21-03-2013
Med's Request
22-03-2013
Med's Done....
26-03-2013 <br>Med's Received: 15-04-2013 <br>Decision Made: 15-04-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013 <br>COPR ISSUED..: 15-05-2013<br>VISA RECEIVED: 16-05-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013

TyrusX said:
Kind of weird you only have 57 points. Can you show how many points you assigned to each part? I can't see how you can have so few points, i think you are forgetting something.
I'm wondering about that too. Maybe he only had Bachelor's (which would only give him 20 instead of 25), and jumped straight to the PhD program? But even with a Bachelor's degree and only a year of work experience, one would have 61 points, unless, of course, his English scores are only 12, which would work out to be 57. If that is the case, then it's probably a good idea to try to boost the English scores. This is obviously under the old point system, since I'm assuming, PhD stream right now is not yet under the new FSW rules.