+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

pepe84

Champion Member
Jan 2, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Its illegal for the country issuing the passport. My country doesn't allow me to staple anything in my passport. Also, the picture you just showed is for USA authorities and I am referring to Canadian authorities. Again, I have never been asked to staple my study and work permits in my passport. On top of that, I will make a call to CIC this Monday to make sure this is something not mandatory at all. Thanks for all your suggestions but I still disagree with you because there is no information in CIC website saying we must staple all our study permits in our passports. Imagine this is the 10th time I renew my study and off campus work permits. If I were to staple all of them in my passport, I would have damaged such important travel document.

Diplomatru said:
I don't work for CBSA brother. I simply comply with what the authorities do and find it perfectly reasonable to have documents attached to each other the way they find it to their liking, so that they are not lost, etc. This whole discussion started with you saying that stapling immigration documents to PP is illegal which is completely at odds with what they do in Northern America.

Geotherm

Nov 7, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
C-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-09-2014
Doc's Request.
20-02-2015
AOR Received.
PER 23-12-2014
Med's Request
21-02-2015
Med's Done....
27-02-2015
Interview........
MR Uploaded 06-06-2015 DM 16-06-2015
Passport Req..
12-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
17-06-2015
LANDED..........
27-062015
Well for me I have never ever stapled my study permit or work permit to my passport I just fold it and leave it inside it. Well I don't know what we are really debating anyway.

pepe84 said:
Its illegal for the country issuing the passport. My country doesn't allow me to staple anything in my passport. Also, the picture you just showed is for USA authorities and I am referring to Canadian authorities. Again, I have never been asked to staple my study and work permits in my passport. On top of that, I will make a call to CIC this Monday to make sure this is something not mandatory at all. Thanks for all your suggestions but I still disagree with you because there is no information in CIC website saying we must staple all our study permits in our passports. Imagine this is the 10th time I renew my study and off campus work permits. If I were to staple all of them in my passport, I would have damaged such important travel document.

pepe84

Champion Member
Jan 2, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
+1 for you Geotherm!

Geotherm said:
Well for me I have never ever stapled my study permit or work permit to my passport I just fold it and leave it inside it. Well I don't know what we are really debating anyway.

rogelio

Star Member
Jul 12, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
23-12-2014 (PER)
Med's Request
23-02-2015
My SP had not been stapled to my passport for almost 1 year. But once I left it in Canada and went to Europe. I was lucky to get in without SP (I could have had problems), but this taught me a lesson, and I stapled it to the passport after that.

pyzdfr

Star Member
Sep 22, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-05-2014
Doc's Request.
20-10-2014
AOR Received.
13-08-2014
Med's Request
21-10-2014
Med's Done....
28-10-2014
Interview........
Not Requested
Passport Req..
08-01-2015
rogelio said:
My SP had not been stapled to my passport for almost 1 year. But once I left it in Canada and went to Europe. I was lucky to get in without SP (I could have had problems), but this taught me a lesson, and I stapled it to the passport after that.
The very first day that I came to Canada, the officer stapled my SP to my passport. Also, when I went to the airport after renewing my study permit, the officer strongly recommended to staple the new one to have it all the times.
Having said that, it's not law and as Pepe said, it might be even considered illegal in some countries. But personally, I think it's a good practice as long as we are in Canada.

pepe84

Champion Member
Jan 2, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I agree with you that you have to keep your study permit with you whenever you are entering Canada. But thats very far from stapling it in your passport. In addition, it is not mandatory at all to send the study permit to Ottawa for stamping an immigrant Visa. Came on guys, they are the autorities for immigration purposes, they already know we have a valid study permit that was confirmed through FOSS CHECK COMPLETED (check your GCMS notes)

My concepts are:

1. It is indeed illegal for some countries to make holes (i.e. with staplers) in your passport visa pages.

2. It is not mandatory at all to have your study permit stapled in your passport.

Thank you guys for all your valuable comments.

pyzdfr said:
The very first day that I came to Canada, the officer stapled my SP to my passport. Also, when I went to the airport after renewing my study permit, the officer strongly recommended to staple the new one to have it all the times.
Having said that, it's not law and as Pepe said, it might be even considered illegal in some countries. But personally, I think it's a good practice as long as we are in Canada.

pyzdfr

Star Member
Sep 22, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-05-2014
Doc's Request.
20-10-2014
AOR Received.
13-08-2014
Med's Request
21-10-2014
Med's Done....
28-10-2014
Interview........
Not Requested
Passport Req..
08-01-2015
pepe84 said:
I agree with you that you have to keep your study permit with you whenever you are entering Canada. But thats very far from stapling it in your passport. In addition, it is not mandatory at all to send the study permit to Ottawa for stamping an immigrant Visa. Came on guys, they are the autorities for immigration purposes, they already know we have a valid study permit that was confirmed through FOSS CHECK COMPLETED (check your GCMS notes)

My concepts are:

1. It is indeed illegal for some countries to make holes (i.e. with staplers) in your passport visa pages.

2. It is not mandatory at all to have your study permit stapled in your passport.

Agreed.

cantaloupe

Star Member
Jul 25, 2014
Ontario
In Canada, it's never illegal to staple something in your passport, and the reason some CBSA officers do it for foreign workers or students is to make sure it won't get lost.

However, if I were to mail my passport to CIC, and I had a study permit in it, I'd certainly detach the permit. If it somehow gets lost during the shipping/visa issuance process, good luck with finding it! :D

pepe84

Champion Member
Jan 2, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Cantalupe. I am not saying its illegal for Canada but for the country issuing the passport. Remember foreign passports do not belong to Canadian authorities, thus they cannot decide whether something is legal or not because they did not issue the foreign passport. For my country, it is illegal to make a hole in your passport visa pages. Also, I agree that mailing the study permit with your passport is a risk some people like me would never consider to take.

Thanks for your comment.

cantaloupe said:
In Canada, it's never illegal to staple something in your passport, and the reason some CBSA officers do it for foreign workers or students is to make sure it won't get lost.

However, if I were to mail my passport to CIC, and I had a study permit in it, I'd certainly detach the permit. If it somehow gets lost during the shipping/visa issuance process, good luck with finding it! :D

zorroo

Apr 1, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pepe84 said:

My concepts are:

Very well said bro. This discussion came up from a question that somebody ask about sending SP with passport to get PR visa. The answer is No. As Pepe well explained CIC have all information and you do not need to send SP. Just you need to have your study permit with you when you come back to canada and you are still student. After getting your PR visa no need for that as well!

mirzathegr8

Star Member
Jul 26, 2013
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 3, 2014
Doc's Request.
September 10, 2014
IELTS Request
with application
Med's Request
September 11, 2014
Med's Done....
October 23, 2014
Passport Req..
January 8, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
January 21, 2015
LANDED..........
February 2, 2015
My first SP was stapled by immigration officer. After I had renewed it couple of times and have traveled multiple times (never stapled it again). Immigration Officer never asked me to stapled it.

I am trying to finish this SP discussion. Those who have sent their PP to Ottawa please do update their status. Is there anyone who received their PP back. I know someone got it back on Jan 15 (he/she got PP request on Jan 6th).........

itsvafa

Nov 10, 2014
m.samy said:
no difference what so ever between citizens and foreigners regarding driver license expiry date --i think u have to have your home country license valid.
http://www.drivetest.ca/en/licencing/pages/out-of-country-drivers.aspx
pepe84 said:
What province are you in? Please ask members of your province only as drivers licenses are managed by provincial government authorities and not federal government.

If in Ontario, no need to worry at all. Either PR or Student Visa, your driver license will have the same expiry date (5 years for G2 and longer for full G).
Thanks! I live in BC. BC friends, do you have any opinion in this regard. I reiterate my questions here:

Does it make a difference to get driver`s license on a student visa or pr visa? In other words, does the driver`s license expire for the students based on the expiry date of study permit or student visa?
Do you recommend that I wait for the result of my pr application and then apply for driver`s license, or do I apply now?
My home driver's license is expired.

pyzdfr

Star Member
Sep 22, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-05-2014
Doc's Request.
20-10-2014
AOR Received.
13-08-2014
Med's Request
21-10-2014
Med's Done....
28-10-2014
Interview........
Not Requested
Passport Req..
08-01-2015
itsvafa said:
Thanks! I live in BC. BC friends, do you have any opinion in this regard. I reiterate my questions here:

Does it make a difference to get driver`s license on a student visa or pr visa? In other words, does the driver`s license expire for the students based on the expiry date of study permit or student visa?
Do you recommend that I wait for the result of my pr application and then apply for driver`s license, or do I apply now?
The type of driving license has nothing to do with type of permit that you have, and it has the same vaidity period as if you were a canadian citizen.

If you have free time, I recommend you go and get it as soon as you can.

pepe84

Champion Member
Jan 2, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have a friend in BC with a work permit and he got the driver license for the same validity of his work permit. Not sure if the same thing applies for students, you better ask the ministry of transportation for BC.

[tquote author=itsvafa link=topic=87348.msg3936383#msg3936383 date=1421519726]

[/quote]

Adamant

Star Member
Dec 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
4012, 2142
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18/08/14
Doc's Request.
PCC of PA
Nomination.....
10/12/2014
AOR Received.
10/12/2014
IELTS Request
Submitted with Application
Med's Request
14-01-15
Med's Done....
19-01-15
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
20/03/2015
VISA ISSUED...
27/03/2015
LANDED..........
09/04/2015
Geotherm said:
I have been asked by the CBSA couple of times whether I prefer to stable with my passport or not, that means its up to you. No mendatory at all. Just have to make sure we keep that in a secure place. I personally put that with passport.