+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

mengoose

Aug 10, 2012
Diplomatru said:
Your SP should stapled to your PP at ALL time!!!
Thanks for replying. When I first got my SP, it was. But now I am having a renewed one. So should I staple it and send it along with my passport to CIC?

Diplomatru

VIP Member
May 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mengoose said:
Thanks for replying. When I first got my SP, it was. But now I am having a renewed one. So should I staple it and send it along with my passport to CIC?
YES, by all means!

pepe84

Champion Member
Jan 2, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I did not send my study permit with my passport and have never sent it when renewing my TRV of myself and my spouse. I have had no problem so far. When we renew our study permits they come separate and CIC has never asked me to staple it in my passport.

When I first entered Canada, the immigration officer told me not to lose my permit and if possible attach it to the passport but it is not mandatory at all.

pepe84

Champion Member
Jan 2, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passports are for visa counterfoils only. It is not legal to make holes in the visa pages of our passports.

pepe84

Champion Member
Jan 2, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Don't forget to print out the ready for visa email.
It is more important to send along with your passport than the study permit.

mengoose said:

Diplomatru

VIP Member
May 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pepe84 said:
Passports are for visa counterfoils only. It is not legal to make holes in the visa pages of our passports.
I tend to disagree.
It's legal as per Canadian and US immigration practice.

Diplomatru

VIP Member
May 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pepe84 said:
I did not send my study permit with my passport and have never sent it when renewing my TRV of myself and my spouse. I have had no problem so far. When we renew our study permits they come separate and CIC has never asked me to staple it in my passport.

When I first entered Canada, the immigration officer told me not to lose my permit and if possible attach it to the passport but it is not mandatory at all.
Since it has no picture, you need a piece of ID to verify it. Thus, it is a good idea to keep'em stapled and that's what CIC did in regards of all my acquaintances who got SP.

pepe84

Champion Member
Jan 2, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well, I can tell you I have never stapled any permit in my passport. In fact, study and work permits say at the bottom: IT DOES NOT AUTHORIZE RE ENTRY. so why keeping it in a passport that is to be used to enter and re enter a country?

Diplomatru said:
I tend to disagree.
It's legal as per Canadian and US immigration practice.

Diplomatru

VIP Member
May 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pepe84 said:
Well, I can tell you I have never stapled any permit in my passport. In fact, study and work permits say at the bottom: IT DOES NOT AUTHORIZE RE ENTRY. so why keeping it in a passport that is to be used to enter and re enter a country?
Because it doesn't authorize re-entry, but it does explain why you are entering Canada. The CBSA guy stapled it next to my S-1 visa and made a stamp underneath. Same happened to all the international students I know.
The other reason would be that SP is not recognized without a photo ID, so why not holding them together?

pepe84

Champion Member
Jan 2, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Like I said, you must show your study permit together with your passport but nowhere in CIC website says you must staple it in your passport. I keep saying it is not mandatory at all to staple it in your passport. Sorry but I completely disagree with you.

Diplomatru said:
Because it doesn't authorize re-entry, but it does explain why you are entering Canada. The CBSA guy stapled it next to my S-1 visa and made a stamp underneath. Same happened to all the international students I know.
The other reason would be that SP is not recognized without a photo ID, so why not holding them together?

Diplomatru

VIP Member
May 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pepe84 said:
Like I said, you must show your study permit together with your passport but nowhere in CIC website says you must staple it in your passport. I keep saying it is not mandatory at all to staple it in your passport. Sorry but I completely disagree with you.
I don't work for CBSA brother. I simply comply with what the authorities do and find it perfectly reasonable to have documents attached to each other the way they find it to their liking, so that they are not lost, etc. This whole discussion started with you saying that stapling immigration documents to PP is illegal which is completely at odds with what they do in Northern America.