Star Member
Jul 13, 2021
Singapore
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-07-2022
Thanks, I'm enquiring a few from rentfaster. Otherwise, I guess needa use airbnb even though it's a bit more pricey since my move in is just 2 months away.

Rach WLT

Star Member
Jul 13, 2021
Singapore
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-07-2022
If I were you, I would click on a listing and contact the listing agent in rentfaster.ca.
In rentfaster.ca, how could we avoid rental scams when we have to rent without physically viewing the unit? Could you share if you have any tips? TIA.

Reactions: placos

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
In rentfaster.ca, how could we avoid rental scams when we have to rent without physically viewing the unit? Could you share if you have any tips? TIA.
IMO it's best to be able to physically there to rent an apartment for longer term. You still have to watch for scams even if you can view the rental.

balakri

Star Member
May 16, 2009
Hello All - I am a realtor in Ontario (GTA) area, The rental market is very competitive now with mortgage interest rates hike/more people looking for a place to say - rental units can be found on multiple platforms including Kijiji/Facebook/realtor.ca - Things to be careful about -validate the person showing are the actual owners of the unit/no upfront payment to see the house. Very low price for a excellent unit etc/Request to move in on the same day or next day.
When you go through a realtor the landlord pays them money (Commission for renting out their unit) you dont have to as a renter (Also money gets deposited in the brokerage account) so less chances of being scammed etc. There are no right and wrong approach. Whatever works for you go for it.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Unlike many countries renting doesn’t often involve real estate agents in Canada. Some purpose built rentals have employees that deal with rental applications while smaller landlords often manage the rentals themselves or use a property manager. Most landlords want to meet people in person before renting and to protect yourself I would want to see a rental in person before signing a 1 year lease which is standard. Photos often only highlight the best aspects of an apartment and can be misleading

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Unlike many countries renting doesn’t often involve real estate agents in Canada. Some purpose built rentals have employees that deal with rental applications while smaller landlords often manage the rentals themselves or use a property manager. Most landlords want to meet people in person before renting and to protect yourself I would want to see a rental in person before signing a 1 year lease which is standard. Photos often only highlight the best aspects of an apartment and can be misleading
At least temporary to short term, people will still have to rely on photos and reviews to rent airbnbs, vacation homes and other housing. Misleading or not. Landlords cannot always meet people in person before renting.

dsgn

Star Member
Oct 30, 2020
Hello All - I am a realtor in Ontario (GTA) area, The rental market is very competitive now with mortgage interest rates hike/more people looking for a place to say - rental units can be found on multiple platforms including Kijiji/Facebook/realtor.ca - Things to be careful about -validate the person showing are the actual owners of the unit/no upfront payment to see the house. Very low price for a excellent unit etc/Request to move in on the same day or next day.
When you go through a realtor the landlord pays them money (Commission for renting out their unit) you dont have to as a renter (Also money gets deposited in the brokerage account) so less chances of being scammed etc. There are no right and wrong approach. Whatever works for you go for it.
Can I have your contact bc my brother That hot admission at Seneca college newnham is looking for a house to rent.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Can I have your contact bc my brother That hot admission at Seneca college newnham is looking for a house to rent.
This person isn’t allowed to solicit business on this forum. Rentals are usually not listed with real estate agents in Canada. Higher end rentals are more likely to be listed with real estate agents but student rentals are rarely listed with agents. Look at housing resources at Senenca, kijiji, look at nearby rental high rises which have their own application process, etc.

Reactions: iSaidGoodDay

moubitang

Dec 1, 2022
I've just decided to go with airbnb as it's a safer option for now. Thanks for all the info.
Were you able to find something? I land in September and I booked an airbnb for the first two weeks but I’m scared I won’t find anything by then. All I have is savings

Rach WLT

Star Member
Jul 13, 2021
Singapore
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-07-2022
Were you able to find something? I land in September and I booked an airbnb for the first two weeks but I’m scared I won’t find anything by then. All I have is savings
I have booked air bnb for 6 months. I know it's a little bit more expensive, but I don't want my pr card to get lost in the mail while updating new address and all these complications. I also don't wanna stress with house finding again after just move in.

• Wow

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
I have booked air bnb for 6 months. I know it's a little bit more expensive, but I don't want my pr card to get lost in the mail while updating new address and all these complications. I also don't wanna stress with house finding again after just move in.
6 months? :O I've a backup reservation at an Airbnb in Calgary for month, it is hard to find long term rentals (with good reviews). You got lucky I guess.

Rach WLT

Star Member
Jul 13, 2021
Singapore
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-07-2022
6 months? :O I've a backup reservation at an Airbnb in Calgary for month, it is hard to find long term rentals (with good reviews). You got lucky I guess.
Yes, actually some of the hosts blocked the date so that it's only available to rent for a short term. But I contacted through msg and explained my situation to ask if they're open for a longer term like a 6-month. Then some of them, I found are actually willing to do that.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, actually some of the hosts blocked the date so that it's only available to rent for a short term. But I contacted through msg and explained my situation to ask if they're open for a longer term like a 6-month. Then some of them, I found are actually willing to do that.
I hope you:

1) Get the PR card in less than 6 months
2) Otherwise, the host let you extend your stay until you get the card (someone in this forum said not receive the card over 6 months).