+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apartment renting for newcomers

radicalprotnns

Star Member
Nov 10, 2022
Hi,

I've recently gotten my copr and I'm planning to land sometime in the fall. My plan is to stay in an airbnb for the first couple of months. Eventually, I'd like to rent an apartment.

I'm sorry if this has been asked before. I saw a list of websites like Kijiji.ca and viewit.ca to search for apartments. Can anyone point me to a reliable website or to a post on this forum on how to deal with renting as a newcomer? Like what if I don't find employment yet, will my bank statements be sufficient? I have seen posts here that income + credit history + references are required but no one has mentioned what to do in case some of these are not applicable.

Are websites like rentals for newcomers reliable? Are there any other rental websites that are geared to newcomers who might not have the income + credit history yet?

If anyone can link me to a website or to a post on this forum addressing this matter, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks a lot.

Reactions: placos

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi,

I've recently gotten my copr and I'm planning to land sometime in the fall. My plan is to stay in an airbnb for the first couple of months. Eventually, I'd like to rent an apartment.

I'm sorry if this has been asked before. I saw a list of websites like Kijiji.ca and viewit.ca to search for apartments. Can anyone point me to a reliable website or to a post on this forum on how to deal with renting as a newcomer? Like what if I don't find employment yet, will my bank statements be sufficient? I have seen posts here that income + credit history + references are required but no one has mentioned what to do in case some of these are not applicable.

Are websites like rentals for newcomers reliable? Are there any other rental websites that are geared to newcomers who might not have the income + credit history yet?

If anyone can link me to a website or to a post on this forum addressing this matter, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks a lot.
Kijijji has a lot of scams. Should include where you will be living. Search local property management companies or real estate agents. What you will need to provide will depend on landlord and whether an individual or company. Most ask for first and last months rent.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi,

Thanks a lot.
If you’re in Toronto , find a real estate agent. They can look for you . However they may ask you for a lot of information. I rented a place . I had to provide an employment letter , copy of my credit report, references , first & last rent , plus insurance

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In BC, for example, you would need to pay the security/damage deposit, that equals 50% of the monthly rent amount, once your application has been accepted and approved, followed by the first month 's rent when you take possession. You would NOT have to pay the last month's rent up front.

radicalprotnns

Star Member
Nov 10, 2022
If you’re in Toronto , find a real estate agent. They can look for you . However they may ask you for a lot of information. I rented a place . I had to provide an employment letter , copy of my credit report, references , first & last rent , plus insurance
Hi, did you use a real estate agent? If so, may I know what are the reputable real estate agencies that you used to help you find a place? Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks to everyone for the responses ! I forgot to mention that I'm planning to settle in Toronto for the meantime.
Most rentals don’t use real estate agents. Tend to be used by the higher end properties. You will find lots of listings on Kijiji but do your due diligence. Visit the properties. Don’t give money in advance. Verify that the person actually own the property or is able to list the property. It is tough to rent a property without employment unless you have proof that you have a very significant amount of savings. Many offer to pay for 6 months upfront for example if they don’t have employment yet. It really depends on the landlord and your price range and what you are looking to rent.

Reactions: radicalprotnns

Rach WLT

Star Member
Jul 13, 2021
Singapore
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-07-2022
Hi, can anyone answer me how the reference of previous landlords etc are given on rental application as a newcomer ? Is there any other way other than airbnb to rent from overseas?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi, did you use a real estate agent? If so, may I know what are the reputable real estate agencies that you used to help you find a place? Thanks!
I’ve rented a couple places in Toronto thru real estate agents . I went thru condos.ca. Depends what you’re looking for . I told the agent what I was looking for , price range etc . They sent over listings . I chose ones to look at . I never met my landlords . All the paperwork is done thru agents . Application. First & last .Note these were condos . Not apartments. More higher end & located in Toronto .
On the other hand a sibling & his wife moved recently to Toronto . They never used an agent , they looked online and went directly to apartments. There application they put together was 40 pages . Like a rental biography of their life . Desperate times I guess means desperate measures

Reactions: placos and YVR123

Rach WLT

Star Member
Jul 13, 2021
Singapore
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-07-2022
I’ve rented a couple places in Toronto thru real estate agents . I went thru condos.ca. Depends what you’re looking for . I told the agent what I was looking for , price range etc . They sent over listings . I chose ones to look at . I never met my landlords . All the paperwork is done thru agents . Application. First & last .Note these were condos . Not apartments. More higher end .
Hi, I'm looking for a whole apartment/condo in Calgary. Do you have any idea or recommendation for the agent? TIA

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I was in Calgary prior . Calgary is a different type of market then Toronto . They don’t use a real estate agent for rentals . It’s more looking online
Even realtors advertise their clients' properties online. They use Real estate agents for rentals. Calgary and Toronto are no different.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, can anyone answer me how the reference of previous landlords etc are given on rental application as a newcomer ? Is there any other way other than airbnb to rent from overseas?
Look for short term listings especially those listed by a Real estate agent. Live there sometime before you sign anything for a year.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Even realtors advertise their clients' properties online. They use Real estate agents for rentals. Calgary and Toronto are no different.
Oh, then I guess the multiple agents / agencies I had contact with in Calgary during my stay there over the course of nine months were incorrect or didn’t know their market / demographics.