Med's Done....
07-09-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-05-2011
LANDED..........
04-06-2011
I drove across from the states to Canada as a returning resident and brought my cats with me ...all I had to do was get their rabies shots, have the vet give me the rabies vaccination papers signed with the tags and have each cat described with their names and ages on that same paper and showed them at the border with my list of goods ...and off i went ...it was a very simple process ..

campesinaj

Star Member
Jan 30, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Lima, Peru
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-05-2010
AOR Received.
29-06-2010 In Process in Lima
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
19-03-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
03-03-2011
LANDED..........
17-03-2011
my vet did not recommend a sedative, neither do most of the websites I have read, because it could have negative side effects and you won't be able to help the pet in mid-air, especially if he's in the cargo hold.
as well, it could affect their balance, making them feel tipsy and if there was any turbulence or they needed to get their balance during the loading/unloading, they could get injured. My cats were terrified of course but they made it just fine!

I have read the main reason for problems with animals is not properly securing the cage (i.e. they escape or have injury) or from overheating in extreme temperatures, so think about that when you are booking - weather, seasons, layovers, etc.

waitingintz

Jul 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-07-2010
Doc's Request.
01-11-2010
AOR Received.
28-09-2010
File Transfer...
24-08-2010
Med's Done....
22-06-2010
Interview........
waived!!
Passport Req..
16-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
22/02/2011
LANDED..........
19-5-2011 (hopefully!)
If there's any turbulence on the flight I will probably beg (bribe, threaten...) one of the flight attendants to check on her... I've heard that's possbile??

So stressed for my poor puppy... the thought of her lying down there whimpering for hours on end makes me want to cry already and the flight isn't for another 2 months!

If anyone has any more tips on how to make the flight easier for the pets please post!

And does anyone know, are we allowed to put a toy or something like that in with them? And are we supposed to provide food for them or does the airline do that (she's in their car for 40 hours). Would appreciate any info or suggestions

TracyS

Star Member
Jan 21, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
AOR Received.
11-04-2011
File Transfer...
28-03-2011
Med's Done....
10-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
25-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
22-06-2011
LANDED..........
10-09-2011
Hi waitingintz

I just saw your post as I was searching for similar info. I'll be taking 2 cats from Perth Australia to Vancouver Island and already I'm fretting. I spoke to a company here in Australia called Jetpets and I'll be using them to transport my cats. The lady on the phone told me that the animals are given two bowls of water in the cage. One is frozen so it will give water over a long period of time as it defrosts. The animals aren't given any food (I think it's because they might be sick or something like that). I was told it was a good idea to provide some sort of toy or clothing that has your smell on it (like a T-shirt that you wore) so they have that familiarity there with them. Hope this gives you a bit of comfort.

jckovacs

Star Member
Mar 14, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am so going with your passport idea. This time tomorrow (or a few months from now when I get around to it) I'm creating passports for my cats. And they will have extra pages for travel stamps. And specifics about them, their eye color, hair color, weight, and of course, a few pages just for their vaccinations. Hahaha, this is awesome!

We've taken our pets back and forth before and there were no problems transporting them. One time, they didn't even ask for records.

pinklady

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2010
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
09-04-2011
ariannecat said:
the fish hehehhehe :), guys most of aprtments in canada prohibited to have dogs inside the facilty? im worried, i love my baby dog so much...
I dont think this is true. Some don't allow dogs, but plenty do. Don't worry, you will find somewhere easily!

This thread is so useful! I was just researching at the weekend what I would need to take my baby dog on a trip to US and now I have all my answers right here. I'll call the vet and get her rabies booster shots done asap!
Thanks!

dominico

Star Member
Feb 22, 2010
my wife is american and brought her puppy into canada, all they wanted to see was up to date vaccination. no problems.

Apr 6, 2011
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-2011
Med's Done....
12-2010
I had parrots when I lived in the states but I had to make other arrangements for them when I moved to Canada. There was no way I was paying airfare for each one and taking them all to the vet to get individual health checks. It would have cost me over $1000!

shandymoo

Sep 30, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-01-2011
AOR Received.
17-02-11
File Transfer...
09-02-2011
Med's Done....
21-12-2010
Passport Req..
20-04-2011
VISA ISSUED...
19-05-2011
LANDED..........
27-05-2011
I have arranged with a pet cargo company to for my pets to go in the cargo hold. It took alot of sorting out to get it done though as they aren't your average pet!! It's costing me $1200, i guess some people are more dedicated to their pets than others.

Canooknic

Sep 20, 2010
England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
17th May 2011
We have made the awful decision to leave our puss-cat behind. :'( He is very jumpy, hates going outside & sleeps under my bed until the kids go to bed. I couldn't put him through the flight, the drive to the airport would probably be too much for him!
Luckily my fella works with a lovely Australian who left her cat over there when she moved here so she is going to take him for us. I'm pretty sure that I get more upset about the thought of leaving him than my family!!

Apr 6, 2011
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-2011
Med's Done....
12-2010
shandymoo said:
i guess some people are more dedicated to their pets than others.
You're probably right. I love my pets but when it could be unsafe for me to transport them half way across the world I'd rather not risk it. If I was driving, I might have considered it. Besides, in the end, it was either buy myself a plane ticket or my pets. It's sad to say but my needs come first. C'est la vie.

pelipeli

Champion Member
Sep 30, 2011
Calgary Alberta CND
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 25, 2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
Sponsor approved: May 1,2012; file rcvd by CEM: May 8
Med's Done....
Dec 19,2011
Passport Req..
PPR date: May10, PPR rcvd: May16, PP sent: May 17 ,PP rcvd by CEM:May18
VISA ISSUED...
IP: Aug16, DM: Aug19 Visa Issue Date: August 16, 2012 Visa rcvd: Aug24
LANDED..........
September 20, 2012, PR card received Nov 23,2012
Hi. ive been searching for topics regarding this. i have a pet dog, the breed is chow chow so he's a
large one. we will be bringing him with us to canada
coz we simply cant live without him, my husband and i treat him like our son. we are already stressing out on how we are gonna bring him. i mean we know abt the reqmts
of airlines and canada already, what im
worried abt is the flight itself, like how are u going to know if they are fine, how abt food and water how will they eat and drink, and poopoo or pee.. for those who experienced bringing their dogs please share your stories
please... ours will be a 15 to 18 hr flight... thanks!

pelipeli

Champion Member
Sep 30, 2011
Calgary Alberta CND
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 25, 2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
Sponsor approved: May 1,2012; file rcvd by CEM: May 8
Med's Done....
Dec 19,2011
Passport Req..
PPR date: May10, PPR rcvd: May16, PP sent: May 17 ,PP rcvd by CEM:May18
VISA ISSUED...
IP: Aug16, DM: Aug19 Visa Issue Date: August 16, 2012 Visa rcvd: Aug24
LANDED..........
September 20, 2012, PR card received Nov 23,2012
waitingintz said:
If there's any turbulence on the flight I will probably beg (bribe, threaten...) one of the flight attendants to check on her... I've heard that's possbile??

So stressed for my poor puppy... the thought of her lying down there whimpering for hours on end makes me want to cry already and the flight isn't for another 2 months!

If anyone has any more tips on how to make the flight easier for the pets please post!

And does anyone know, are we allowed to put a toy or something like that in with them? And are we supposed to provide food for them or does the airline do that (she's in their car for 40 hours). Would appreciate any info or suggestions

hi how did it go? pls share ur experience... could really use some help thanks

Eswiz

Star Member
May 31, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-05-2011
AOR Received.
07-08-2011
File Transfer...
19-07-2011
Med's Done....
27-04-2011
Passport Req..
07-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
03-11-11
LANDED..........
10-11-11
Canooknic said:
We have made the awful decision to leave our puss-cat behind. :'( He is very jumpy, hates going outside & sleeps under my bed until the kids go to bed. I couldn't put him through the flight, the drive to the airport would probably be too much for him!
Luckily my fella works with a lovely Australian who left her cat over there when she moved here so she is going to take him for us. I'm pretty sure that I get more upset about the thought of leaving him than my family!!
I too left my cats behind. I had gone as far as finding a carrier who would transport them, but in the end I just couldn't bring myself to put them through it. One of them is 16 years old and I thought the trip would be too traumatic.

Add to that that in the UK they are outdoor cats, but here in Vancouver they would run the risk of being eaten by cougars or eagles. (I've seen quite a few cat remains and there are loads of missing pet posters for cats and small dogs). To make put them through a long traumatic flight then make them indoor cats seemed very cruel. I was lucky that my neighbour took them in and although I missed them terribly it was the best thing I could do. If it were a dog it would be different because dogs get so attached to their owners.

We got a new cat here. She's very pretty, but very dumb compared to my English cats. I think she's a bit inbred :D

Canooknic

Sep 20, 2010
England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
17th May 2011
Eswiz said:
We got a new cat here. She's very pretty, but very dumb compared to my English cats. I think she's a bit inbred :D
Maybe she's been going to that drug centre thats over there!! ;D

We have talked about getting another, but we're renting at the moment so I want to wait, and I'm not sure I'm ready to deal with the evil ways of a kitten yet!!