Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
25-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
22-06-2011
LANDED..........
10-09-2011
Hi, I just wanted to let people know that we have just landed in Vancouver with our two cats. The came all the way from Perth Australia. First was a 5 hour flight from Perth to Sydney, an overnight stay in Sydney to get custom papers and vet check then a 15 hour flight from Sydney to Vancouver. I arranged with Worldwide Animal Travel in Vancouver to clear the cats through customs for me as I wasn't sure how long I would be in the landing process. They did that and took the cats to their premises next to the airport and fed and cleaned them up for me. The cats were a bit wet because the water dish had spilled.

I was very worried...but my cats handled the trip extremely well. The pilot is given a report on what animals are on board each flight and so he ensures that the area they are kept in is pressurized. The cages are bolted down and cats and dogs are kept separate to control the stress. I put in some article of clothing in the cage that the cats had slept on before so they had something of comfort with them. They don't get food during the flight but they get plenty of water.

From what I have been told, cats handle flights a little better than some dogs as cats settle down and sleep but the standards for transporting animals are very high now and all animals are taken care of very well. The main thing is, to make sure that you have the correct paperwork and an IATA approved transport box. They will not be allowed to fly otherwise.

pelipeli

Champion Member
Sep 30, 2011
Calgary Alberta CND
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 25, 2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
Sponsor approved: May 1,2012; file rcvd by CEM: May 8
Med's Done....
Dec 19,2011
Passport Req..
PPR date: May10, PPR rcvd: May16, PP sent: May 17 ,PP rcvd by CEM:May18
VISA ISSUED...
IP: Aug16, DM: Aug19 Visa Issue Date: August 16, 2012 Visa rcvd: Aug24
LANDED..........
September 20, 2012, PR card received Nov 23,2012
thanks for that TracyS! was very helpful! im gonna check out worlwide animal travel myself. can i ask how much it cost you? and they took care of all customs clearing and such? did they meet u at the arrival area or what? thanks so much! am very worried with my pet chow chow, he is 50 lbs and he does get stressed quite easily and has separation anxiety, its gonna be a 10 to 15 hr flight as well .

pelipeli

Champion Member
Sep 30, 2011
Calgary Alberta CND
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 25, 2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Dec 19,2011
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
just want to share my pet travel woes:

my dog's move to canada will still be next year and as early as now im already stressing out.. he is a large dog, gets anxious/stressed/ panicked in unfamiliar surroundings, especially if at least me or my husband is not with him.

when my husband and i got married in my hometown which is 6 hr drive away from where we live, it was a super stressful experience (more stressful than all the wedding preparations), nobody can calm / control him besides us.. not even my brother in law who lives with us for many years and is already used to our dog and vice versa. it was just anxious whimpering and moving around the car all throughout!

i've seen petrelocator.com, their services are good, they will coordinate everything from contacting your vet to get necessary requirements,flight bookings, pick up from ur house, check in, in flight, customs clearing, take care of dogs needs in between flights, up to dropping off to ur new home. ive seen the testimonials and they all sound great but the cost ... whew! it costs more than our own plane tickets and sponsorship fees.. for our peace of mind and pets safety we will consider availing their services (id have to save up for a couple of months for that) but problem is my dog doesnt like anybody to handle him besides me and my husband. I almost wish we could call Cesar Milan to the Philippines so he could work on our dog to be more calm and friendly to other people before the big move to Canada!

shamsia

Champion Member
Jan 27, 2011
Visa Office......
New Delhi
App. Filed.......
30-06-2011
File Transfer...
31-08-2011
Med's Done....
16-06-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
10-01-2012
LANDED..........
April 6th, 2012
Hi there,

It breaks my heart to leave my cat behind when I get the visa, but it is just not possible to take her to Canada with me. More than the costs involved, I would be living with my husband alongwith my 2 sisters-in-law and parents-in-law in Canada (a typical Indian joint family). And they all hate animals, particularly cats :( There's no way in hell I could make anybody understand my love for my cat. Im already stressed and depressed about leaving her behind. I have made provisions for her stay here already, and a friend is willing to take her in. But my cat cannot stand anybody but me, she eats only when I feed her & she's an outdoor cat too. As soon as she comes home, she searches for me. Im so sad to make her go through this :( Any suggestions to deal with my sad state of mind? I would greatly appreciate them.

pelipeli

Champion Member
Sep 30, 2011
Calgary Alberta CND
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 25, 2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Dec 19,2011
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
shamsia said:
Hi there,

It breaks my heart to leave my cat behind when I get the visa, but it is just not possible to take her to Canada with me. More than the costs involved, I would be living with my husband alongwith my 2 sisters-in-law and parents-in-law in Canada (a typical Indian joint family). And they all hate animals, particularly cats :( There's no way in hell I could make anybody understand my love for my cat. Im already stressed and depressed about leaving her behind. I have made provisions for her stay here already, and a friend is willing to take her in. But my cat cannot stand anybody but me, she eats only when I feed her & she's an outdoor cat too. As soon as she comes home, she searches for me. Im so sad to make her go through this :( Any suggestions to deal with my sad state of mind? I would greatly appreciate them.
thats so heartbreaking.. i feel for u coz my dog is the same, he wont eat or drink if he is sad.. didnt u try talking to ur husband abt bringing ur pet with u? coz i think if ur pet is that attached to u and u to her, ur hubby will understand.. it is really so sad that we have grown to love our pets as our children and they cant come if we go away. for us though, we never considered leaving our dog behind and we will really go thru any measure just to have him with us. if u cannot convince ur hubby to bring ur cat, try to look for a relative or friend who will adopt ur cat and pray and hope that she will be in good hands..

TracyS

Star Member
Jan 21, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
AOR Received.
11-04-2011
File Transfer...
28-03-2011
Med's Done....
10-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
25-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
22-06-2011
LANDED..........
10-09-2011
Hi pelipeli,

The total cost for my two cats from Australia to Vancouver was around $2500 CAD. A lot of money but totally worth it because I couldn't bear the thought of leaving them behind. I'm not 100% sure of the cost of Worldwide Animal Travel to collect them was because it was included in my overall cost but it could have been a couple of hundred dollars (maybe less??). The cost included all the customs clearing for me, and Bruno (the nicest man ever!) took my cats to their offices which is just near the international airport and I collected them there. I rang him several times before the cats went on the flights and he was very reassuring.

On top of everything, we also had to get to Vancouver Island so the cats went on the ferry and then had a six hour drive to their destination.

Shamsia, if it's any consolation, we are staying with my husbands parents until we find a place of our own and they have a dog. The cats are kept safe in their own room and they don't leave it. They are content and the dog doesn't bother them. Could you take your cat and keep her in your room? We have put a child gate up in the door and they can't get out. Perhaps you could set up a kitty litter in the room like we did.

My vet told me before I left Australia that the most stress for an animal is a new owner and a new place. Less stress is a new place but with the same owner. That made my decision to take them with me easier.

Canooknic

Sep 20, 2010
England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
17th May 2011
Shamsia - it is so hard to say goodbye, I cried for about a week, but we took our little fur-baby to his new home about 2 weeks before we left so I had time to get used to him not being around and when I left I knew that he was settled with our friend.
We get regular Facebook updates now, and video of him running around - he's very happy and I'm not sure he would have been over here. It's a long flight and they are pretty strict on keeping them in your yard where I am so he would have struggled with that too.

It's not easy, but she will be ok. It takes time, but she'll adjust....and so will you.
Good luck xxx

shamsia

Champion Member
Jan 27, 2011
Visa Office......
New Delhi
App. Filed.......
30-06-2011
File Transfer...
31-08-2011
Med's Done....
16-06-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
10-01-2012
LANDED..........
April 6th, 2012
pelipeli said:
thats so heartbreaking.. i feel for u coz my dog is the same, he wont eat or drink if he is sad.. didnt u try talking to ur husband abt bringing ur pet with u? coz i think if ur pet is that attached to u and u to her, ur hubby will understand.. it is really so sad that we have grown to love our pets as our children and they cant come if we go away. for us though, we never considered leaving our dog behind and we will really go thru any measure just to have him with us. if u cannot convince ur hubby to bring ur cat, try to look for a relative or friend who will adopt ur cat and pray and hope that she will be in good hands..
Thank you for your kind words :) I have tried everything I could. My husband understands, but his family do not consider a pet as family. To them, it is merely an animal. To first change that attitude is an uphill task in itself. I already have a friend who is willing to take her in & Im hoping for the best here. But I will miss my sweetheart dearly & I know she will miss me too :(

TracyS said:
Shamsia, if it's any consolation, we are staying with my husbands parents until we find a place of our own and they have a dog. The cats are kept safe in their own room and they don't leave it. They are content and the dog doesn't bother them. Could you take your cat and keep her in your room? We have put a child gate up in the door and they can't get out. Perhaps you could set up a kitty litter in the room like we did.

My vet told me before I left Australia that the most stress for an animal is a new owner and a new place. Less stress is a new place but with the same owner. That made my decision to take them with me easier.
You are right! I know its going to be stressful for my kitty, but I honestly do not see any way I could take her with me. Its the whole familial and cultural pressure Im in right now with my in-laws. Im definitely not in a position to be calling any shots :( Comes with the territory of being an Indian bride ::)

Canooknic said:
Shamsia - it is so hard to say goodbye, I cried for about a week, but we took our little fur-baby to his new home about 2 weeks before we left so I had time to get used to him not being around and when I left I knew that he was settled with our friend.
We get regular Facebook updates now, and video of him running around - he's very happy and I'm not sure he would have been over here. It's a long flight and they are pretty strict on keeping them in your yard where I am so he would have struggled with that too.

It's not easy, but she will be ok. It takes time, but she'll adjust....and so will you.
Good luck xxx
Your words are a balm to my sore heart. You give me hope that she will be alright :) And besides, she is an outdoor-indoor cat. If by some quirk of fate I manage to being her with me, Im sure she will have to be confined indoors. But thank you for your kind words! Im ever so grateful to you :)

hopetoland

Star Member
Apr 24, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
berlin
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 2011
it wasnt a problem bringing my two puppies,

bye

pelipeli

Champion Member
Sep 30, 2011
Calgary Alberta CND
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 25, 2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Dec 19,2011
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
hopetoland said:
it wasnt a problem bringing my two puppies,

bye
thats great! how were they after the flight? :)