+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anyone want to join a thread for people applying in the near future?

lleahdoll

Nov 12, 2012
USA
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
Sep 9th, 2014
Doc's Request.
May 5th, 2015 (CSQ requested)
AOR Received.
Oct 14th, 2014
File Transfer...
Nov 14th, 2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 29th, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM: Aug 1st, 2015 COPR: Aug 6th, 2015
LANDED..........
Sep 1st, 2015
kcorbin said:
I have a question about filling out some forms.. I'm getting OC over here and I don't want to mess up my application because of discrepancies.. :p

We'll be applying outland but we plan on staying together in Canada while I'm visiting him (I'm US citizen so I'm visa-exempt).

Soooo, my question is... Which address should I write on the application forms? I'll definitely write my future hubby's Canadian address as my mailing address. But what about my residential address (form IMM0008)? and present address (form 5406)? I don't want to commit any misrepresentation or something...

What do you guys think? Will appreciate your responses! ;D
Oh my gosh. I have the same dilemma as I will be visiting/staying with my hubsy during the process. SO I want to make sure if they mail anything to me, it'll get mailed here.
Hopefully a senior stumbles on this!!!

agarand8

Aug 21, 2013
Regina, Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-03-2014
Doc's Request.
10-06-2014
AOR Received.
21-05-2014...#2 - 10-06-2014
File Transfer...
22-05-2014
Med's Request
Additional tests requested on 05-06-2014
Med's Done....
Feb. 2014 & August 5th 2014
Interview........
24-FEB-2015
Passport Req..
24-MAR-2015...received at VO 6-APR-2015
I think you should just tell the truth. If you go back to USA you can send them an email letting them know.

Lil_lulu86

Feb 22, 2014
United States going to Ontario
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Working on it
I would love to join. I plan on submitting my app in July. I will be crossing in a few days hoping to live wit my fiancée during the process. What do I tell them at the border about how long I will be staying.

kcorbin

Star Member
Feb 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-07-2014
Med's Done....
09-06-2014
agarand8 said:
I think you should just tell the truth. If you go back to USA you can send them an email letting them know.
Is it okay if I write a Canadian address under residential address, even though I'm still "visiting" and not legally allowed to live in Canada yet?

kcorbin

Star Member
Feb 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-07-2014
Med's Done....
09-06-2014
lleahdoll said:
Oh my gosh. I have the same dilemma as I will be visiting/staying with my hubsy during the process. SO I want to make sure if they mail anything to me, it'll get mailed here.
Hopefully a senior stumbles on this!!!
I found an answer here!!
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t27834.0.html;msg832494#msg832494

Apparently, we could write our canadian address as our residential address as we are physically staying there. :p

Ellasg

Oct 7, 2013
Japan
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-12-2013
AOR Received.
29-01-2014
File Transfer...
03-02-2014
Med's Done....
29-10-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
24-04-2014, DM: 19-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
15-05-2014
LANDED..........
06-06-2014
kcorbin said:
Is it okay if I write a Canadian address under residential address, even though I'm still "visiting" and not legally allowed to live in Canada yet?
I wrote my Canadian address as my residential address but I had to come back to Japan a few days before my boyfriend filed the application, I've sent them a case specific enquiry updating this information but I made sure to emphasize my intentions to return to my spouse as soon as possible and that I would provide any additional doc. if the officer finds it necessary (I didn't want to overwhelm them with unnecessary information so I only uploaded one document). They changed my status to "In Process" and no additional documents were requested.

lleahdoll

Nov 12, 2012
USA
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
Sep 9th, 2014
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Oct 14th, 2014
File Transfer...
Nov 14th, 2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 29th, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Sep 1st, 2015
Lil_lulu86 said:
I would love to join. I plan on submitting my app in July. I will be crossing in a few days hoping to live wit my fiancée during the process. What do I tell them at the border about how long I will be staying.
Welcome! ^_^

kcorbin said:
I found an answer here!!
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t27834.0.html;msg832494#msg832494

Apparently, we could write our canadian address as our residential address as we are physically staying there. :p
Thanks KCorbin! :D

Ellasg said:
I wrote my Canadian address as my residential address but I had to come back to Japan a few days before my boyfriend filed the application, I've sent them a case specific enquiry updating this information but I made sure to emphasize my intentions to return to my spouse as soon as possible and that I would provide any additional doc. if the officer finds it necessary (I didn't want to overwhelm them with unnecessary information so I only uploaded one document). They changed my status to "In Process" and no additional documents were requested.
They def want to know your address in the US to though. Is that what you put for permanent address?

Ellasg

Oct 7, 2013
Japan
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-12-2013
AOR Received.
29-01-2014
File Transfer...
03-02-2014
Med's Done....
29-10-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
24-04-2014, DM: 19-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
15-05-2014
LANDED..........
06-06-2014
lleahdoll said:
They def want to know your address in the US to though. Is that what you put for permanent address?
The principal applicant's address isn't as relevant as the sponsor's and the mailing address, that's why they require proofs of their intention to return when they're residing outside of Canada, but the principal applicant could be anywhere. But I remember we have to inform our previous addresses for the past 5 or 10 years in another form so i think they'd know their address in the States as well.
A senior recommended me to inform the VO that I'm in Japan mostly because I'm in a common-law relationship and cohabitation is the key. ::)

lleahdoll

Nov 12, 2012
USA
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
Sep 9th, 2014
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Oct 14th, 2014
File Transfer...
Nov 14th, 2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 29th, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Sep 1st, 2015
Ellasg said:
The principal applicant's address isn't as relevant as the sponsor's and the mailing address, that's why they require proofs of their intention to return when they're residing outside of Canada, but the principal applicant could be anywhere. But I remember we have to inform our previous addresses for the past 5 or 10 years on another form so i think they'd know their address in the States as well.
A senior recommended me to inform the VO that I'm in Japan mostly because I'm in a common-law relationship and cohabitation is the key. ::)
Ok, cause technically I don't really have an address. I mean, my family is storing my belongings in my home state but I haven't "lived" there in over a year as I've been visiting my husband.
So I don't get mail there or anything....

CutiePie92

Dec 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Bucharest
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-05-2014
AOR Received.
10-07-2014
File Transfer...
07-08-2014
Med's Done....
30-04-2014; remed 24-04-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
10-04-2015; 02-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
23-06-2015
LANDED..........
24-07-2015 soon 8)
Hey y'all! :D

We plan to submit in may - we're gettin married next week! ;D I'm from eastern Europe and we'll apply outland through Quebec (yay... additional waiting ::) )

For sure i`ll have loads of questions about completing all the forms and about the proofs.

I envy you people that are from visa-exempt countries , you can visit your sponsor in Canada as much as you like! For us it's impossible to get a TRV once we're married & already applied for PR.

Anyways, good luck to anyone and i`ll be hearing from you soon! :-*

lleahdoll

Nov 12, 2012
USA
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
Sep 9th, 2014
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Oct 14th, 2014
File Transfer...
Nov 14th, 2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 29th, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Sep 1st, 2015
CutiePie92 said:
Hey y'all! :D

We plan to submit in may - we're gettin married next week! ;D I'm from eastern Europe and we'll apply outland through Quebec (yay... additional waiting ::) )

For sure i`ll have loads of questions about completing all the forms and about the proofs.

I envy you people that are from visa-exempt countries , you can visit your sponsor in Canada as much as you like! For us it's impossible to get a TRV once we're married & already applied for PR.

Anyways, good luck to anyone and i`ll be hearing from you soon! :-*
Welcome CutiePie!! ;D

I plan to submit in May/June and we got married in AUGUST. Don't procrastinate like we did :p Start doing the forms now and reading over stuff.

I'm applying Outland through Quebec as well!!! I keep almost forgetting about submitting that extra sponsor application to Quebec! Eek!!! O_O

kcorbin

Star Member
Feb 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-07-2014
Med's Done....
09-06-2014
Lil_lulu86 said:
Hey! We're in the same boat! =) I will also be flying in to Canada in 5 days to be with my fiancé! Then we'll get married first week of May then submit our application afterwards. I'll be staying with him while waiting out the process, then plan to apply for extension before the 6-month mark is over. It makes me nervous just thinking about what to say at the border!!

How about you? Do you plan to stay with your fiancée until your PR comes through?

I'll share with you what I'll do based on what I've read and what others have told me.

1) Pack all your things in suitcases. I plan to bring 3 luggage with me. Dont use boxes since it gives an impression that you're moving to Canada. I'm not sure if you're flying or driving across the border, but dont bring furniture or appliances with you.

2) Arrange a return plane ticket or an AMTRAK ticket to get you outside Canada. You have to let them believe that you know that your stay is temporary and you intend to leave Canada when you need to. I plan to buy a refundable ticket for September so I have something to show to the agent then cancel the flight when I get inside Canada.

3) Prepare proof of employment after your "trip", if you can. My previous employer had been so kind to write me a letter that she approves my trip to Canada and my job will be waiting for me after my "vacation". Of course, I have no plans of going back. :p shhhhh!

4) Prepare other documents that you have ties to the US, like your lease or bills or bank statements. I have no lease or bills since I'm living with family. But the bank statement could show that you can financially support yourself during your trip..

5) Bring copies of your completed or partially completed application and have your receipt ready. I'm planning to show my application form from my laptop since its not yet 100% complete. I also paid for the fees.

6) Be honest at all times with the border agent but don't offer too much information unless asked. Also, dont let your nervousness show! I'm planning to tell the border agent that I'll be getting married to my fiancé on May, we'll be submitting our application for spousal sponsorship right after, then I would want to stay with him during my visit to Canada. Then depending on my feel of the agent's mood that time and whether I'm feeling extra gutsy, I'll go ahead and ask for a 1 year visitor record. :p They also would want to hear that you understand that you are not yet moving to Canada and you are not allowed to work or study during your stay. If they ask for additional proof, I'll show them my receipt for the application, my application forms on my laptop, the letter from my employer, itinerary of my return ticket, and bank statement.

I hope I covered everything and I hope I didnt misinterpret anything. =))

lleahdoll

Nov 12, 2012
USA
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
Sep 9th, 2014
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Oct 14th, 2014
File Transfer...
Nov 14th, 2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 29th, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Sep 1st, 2015
kcorbin said:
Hey! We're in the same boat! =) I will also be flying in to Canada in 5 days to be with my fiancé! Then we'll get married first week of May then submit our application afterwards. I'll be staying with him while waiting out the process, then plan to apply for extension before the 6-month mark is over. It makes me nervous just thinking about what to say at the border!!

How about you? Do you plan to stay with your fiancée until your PR comes through?

I'll share with you what I'll do based on what I've read and what others have told me.

1) Pack all your things in suitcases. I plan to bring 3 luggage with me. Dont use boxes since it gives an impression that you're moving to Canada. I'm not sure if you're flying or driving across the border, but dont bring furniture or appliances with you.

2) Arrange a return plane ticket or an AMTRAK ticket to get you outside Canada. You have to let them believe that you know that your stay is temporary and you intend to leave Canada when you need to. I plan to buy a refundable ticket for September so I have something to show to the agent then cancel the flight when I get inside Canada.

3) Prepare proof of employment after your "trip", if you can. My previous employer had been so kind to write me a letter that she approves my trip to Canada and my job will be waiting for me after my "vacation". Of course, I have no plans of going back. :p shhhhh!

4) Prepare other documents that you have ties to the US, like your lease or bills or bank statements. I have no lease or bills since I'm living with family. But the bank statement could show that you can financially support yourself during your trip..

5) Bring copies of your completed or partially completed application and have your receipt ready. I'm planning to show my application form from my laptop since its not yet 100% complete. I also paid for the fees.

6) Be honest at all times with the border agent but don't offer too much information unless asked. Also, dont let your nervousness show! I'm planning to tell the border agent that I'll be getting married to my fiancé on May, we'll be submitting our application for spousal sponsorship right after, then I would want to stay with him during my visit to Canada. Then depending on my feel of the agent's mood that time and whether I'm feeling extra gutsy, I'll go ahead and ask for a 1 year visitor record. :p They also would want to hear that you understand that you are not yet moving to Canada and you are not allowed to work or study during your stay. If they ask for additional proof, I'll show them my receipt for the application, my application forms on my laptop, the letter from my employer, itinerary of my return ticket, and bank statement.

I hope I covered everything and I hope I didnt misinterpret anything. =))
I have traveled here 3 times and stayed 6 months each time. I get nervous each time I am at the airport. I have never been asked about a return ticket luckily bc I only had one the first time. My husband is relaxed about the situation and thinks it's not a big deal if I don't have a return ticket. -_- And refundable tickets are so much more expensive!!

1) Yep I always just bring a suitcase or two and a carry for my laptop and stuff.

2) Like I said above I have only had a return ticket once. Hopefully I can extend my stay May 1st (I'm here right now since December) and I can get a year extension since we're hoping to have filed the PR application by then.

3) I have not been employed since 2010 as I quit my last job because I moved for school. And I never ended getting another job, I just did school up until December 2012 when I came here. So I don't have ties to show them really. :/ That always worries me.

4) Again, I don't have bills, or utilities (I lived in a dorm before this and did not have a cell phone or other bills). I have a bank account but I'm broke so that wouldn't matter to show them. My husband pays for all my plane tickets which I don't think a VO would mind. He IS my husband. And he supports me while I'm here. I stay in his apartment and he buys me food lol

5) Yeah if I don't get the extension, I will do that for sure since we're finally starting it. Hopefully I can show them a receipt and a completed form.
I didn't know you could pay the fees way before you submit the application????? Could you clarify this for me Kcorbin?

6) Yep I got this advice as well. Answer yes/no. Answer their questions with short, concise answers. But don't divulge anything they don't ask for. It also could look suspicious because it's like you're trying to distract them/cover your tracks.
For example, a VO once asked how long I had stayed in Canada (I was going back the states) and I told him 6 months and he said "Only one suitcase for 6 months?" and I just said "Yep." and I wasn't questioned further about it. :)
And last time I crossed in December, I went to the VO and she asked what was the reason I was visiting. I told her I was visiting my husband. She stamped my passport and didn't asked anything else and that was that. Hahah

kcorbin

Star Member
Feb 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-07-2014
Med's Done....
09-06-2014
lleahdoll said:
I have traveled here 3 times and stayed 6 months each time. I get nervous each time I am at the airport. I have never been asked about a return ticket luckily bc I only had one the first time. My husband is relaxed about the situation and thinks it's not a big deal if I don't have a return ticket. -_- And refundable tickets are so much more expensive!!

1) Yep I always just bring a suitcase or two and a carry for my laptop and stuff.

2) Like I said above I have only had a return ticket once. Hopefully I can extend my stay May 1st (I'm here right now since December) and I can get a year extension since we're hoping to have filed the PR application by then.

3) I have not been employed since 2010 as I quit my last job because I moved for school. And I never ended getting another job, I just did school up until December 2012 when I came here. So I don't have ties to show them really. :/ That always worries me.

4) Again, I don't have bills, or utilities (I lived in a dorm before this and did not have a cell phone or other bills). I have a bank account but I'm broke so that wouldn't matter to show them. My husband pays for all my plane tickets which I don't think a VO would mind. He IS my husband. And he supports me while I'm here. I stay in his apartment and he buys me food lol

5) Yeah if I don't get the extension, I will do that for sure since we're finally starting it. Hopefully I can show them a receipt and a completed form.
I didn't know you could pay the fees way before you submit the application????? Could you clarify this for me Kcorbin?

6) Yep I got this advice as well. Answer yes/no. Answer their questions with short, concise answers. But don't divulge anything they don't ask for. It also could look suspicious because it's like you're trying to distract them/cover your tracks.
For example, a VO once asked how long I had stayed in Canada (I was going back the states) and I told him 6 months and he said "Only one suitcase for 6 months?" and I just said "Yep." and I wasn't questioned further about it. :)
And last time I crossed in December, I went to the VO and she asked what was the reason I was visiting. I told her I was visiting my husband. She stamped my passport and didn't asked anything else and that was that. Hahah
I visited Canada twice last year for a month each but I wasnt that self-conscious yet about the questioning. I guess I'm more nervous now because I know I'll be visiting for an extended stay. XD The first time, the agent asked me the usual questions and I said I was visiting my boyfriend. Then he asked me how long will I stay there, how long have we been together, where did we meet, where I'll be staying. On the 2nd visit, I simply answered "To visit family" LOL! :p I mean, I view him as family already. he didnt ask more questions aside from how long is my visit. But he didnt stamp my passport! I'm not sure what that means though.

I would actually prefer to NOT get a return ticket anymore since I'm not sure if they do refund it. :p Last time I visited, my stay was orignally just 3 weeks but we decided to extend by a week. Goodbye $200! I hate rebooking fees! But I'm doing it to make me less nervous about crossing the border. Lol!

As for the fees, I was also paranoid about that since we're not yet married and we're still completing our forms. It did say on the website to be sure that the forms have been completed before paying the fees. But somebody told me its okay to pay the fees ahead of time coz it shows that we're serious to apply. So I went ahead and paid it! And you need to pay the fees upon completing since you need attach the receipt to the application package that you'll be sending in.

You're lucky you didnt get any trouble at the border given that you have not so solid ties to the US. =) I'm keeping my fingers cross so I'll keep my lucky streak. I've read terrible experiences of other users with crossing the border. So it really amounts to the mood and personality of the agent... T_T

I believe you wont get denied if you apply for extension, especially if you have a PR application in process. At least, that's what I've been reading about. I'm not sure about this but *I think* you can go to the border to ask for a visitor extension? So you dont have to pay the $75 fee online.

What do you usually do during your extended stay in Canada? I mean, its a loooong time to be unemployed. :p What keeps you busy?

missmatalini

Mar 17, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
February 11th 2014
Doc's Request.
RPRF Requested July 15th 2014
AOR Received.
March 25th 2014
File Transfer...
March 28th 2014
Med's Request
July 15th 2014
Med's Done....
July 16th 2014
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
November 13th
LANDED..........
February 2nd 2015
Don't feel bad about procrastinating (Not that it is a good habit but I procrastinated too!)

Hubby and I got married in October of 2013, and our application was SUPPOSED to go out in November and it ended up not going out until February. We now have AOR and SA and are crossing our fingers for a quick process.

It took me almost 8 months to get EVERYTHING filled out and set together to go out because I started way before we were married.

Good luck to all of you as you finish getting things in order!