+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

anyone successful on flying back to USA using AVR ?

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
What do you think about a likely future h1b entry ban in the US? It's possible that this ban comes out later this month.

I'm in the same boat. Need to do AVR as well
Any idea when the ban will come, so far I just see "later this month".
I am currently in Canada for another 5 days :(

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
You'll probably still make it. The original proclamation said that new recommendations to be made in 30 days. I'm wondering whether the contents was leaked early to make lobbyists from all sides to start acting
Sure hope so, all the crazy stuff started to happen on Twitter and all the leaks started since this Thursday, it makes me very very scared for the next 5 days. Fingers crossed, I just want to go back pack up my belongings in peace and wrap up when my lease ends in December.

Nick1233

Star Member
Dec 16, 2019
Wouldn't we all want to live in a world where a head of state doesn't send people into panic whenever he feels like it during a global pandemic ...
Sure and for the sake of it, wouldn't it have been nice for backlogged h1 folks NOT to do all kinds of shenanigans like EB1 upgrade via international manager, use Canadian system when it suits them and willing to jump ship back to US when things are better over there, having no empathy for folks ahead of them, insisting on S386 reforms instead of merit based immigration in US etc.

Point is two sides to a coin, it just depends where one stands at.

Nick1233

Star Member
Dec 16, 2019
I understand your frustration but most of us here are affected in these uncertain times, even if we are doing everything correctly.
No, just pointing out hypocrisy. IMO, backlogged H1 community can't really claim high moral ground.

justinline

May 19, 2009
No, just pointing out hypocrisy. IMO, backlogged H1 community can't really claim high moral ground.
Everyone is desperate, everyone just want to get hold of that elusive GC and move on with their lives. The question of morality or fairness are not part of that equation. People in my circle and lot other H1b folks are cheering the immigration ban......praying Trump extends the ban for few more months, they are all revved up thinking more the ban more the spillover. This is the level of scavenging we have been reduced to ......I use 'we' because I guess I am no better. It's the collective karma.....we all have to bear that cross.

Any Leonard Cohen fans here

But sometimes when the night is slow,
The wretched and the meek,
We gather up our hearts and go
A thousand kisses deep.

All soaked in sex, and pressed against
The limits of the sea:
I saw there were no oceans left
For scavengers like me.
We made it to the forward deck
I blessed our remnant fleet -
And then consented to be wrecked
A thousand kisses deep.

duytuanbme

Oct 4, 2018
There is nothing you need to do, I would suggest carry all documents that you would for stamping. Keep all your I94 with you, as you approach the CBP tell the officer you want to use AVR. Now if you take the train, may get tricky. Most likely you will go into secondary, they are under no obligation to clear you before train departs. One my friend took the train few years back, he boarded the train at Pacific station. Then at the border the CBP officer come onboard and do the immigration. Since most likely they may send you to secondary in other words grab your stuff and deboard. If that happens you will most likely miss the train. Now there was talks going on of doing the preclearance at the Pacific station itself. If that's how it works now then it's very good for you.
Hi justinline, I just know of the AVR process recently and I'm a bit confused. I'm holding an expired F1 visa and will have to travel to Canada soon (when the border is open again). May I ask that when my F1 visa is revalidated by the CBP, does it mean that it will be extended or I can just use it as a document to enter US that time only? Also, how many times can I go through the AVR process? Thank you!

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hi justinline, I just know of the AVR process recently and I'm a bit confused. I'm holding an expired F1 visa and will have to travel to Canada soon (when the border is open again).
1. does it mean that it will be extended or
2. I can just use it as a document to enter US that time only?
3. Also, how many times can I go through the AVR process? Thank you!
1. Some officers just let you go without issuing new I94. Some officers might give you a new I94 that has same/more/less duration while comparing to current I94 - No one knows what would be the duration he/she gives but its 90% chance of same duration.
2. avr is not the process meant for you to follow because its CBP's process. Just enter as usual how you entered US in your previous visit. While entering US, first show the passport(with valid I94) and keep your other documents ready in hand(if asked then give). So from your perspective there is no difference in your previous entry and entry from Canada - cbp officers will do their procedure.
3. No limits as long as you are maintaining F status.

ujjg2105

Sep 23, 2019
I was able to reenter using AVR. It was a bit of a hassle, took quite long and I was sent to secondary review by CBP but worked out ok in the end luckily :)

Thanks to @harirajmohan and @DEEPCUR and @lampbreaker all shared valuable information about AVR!
That was fantastic! congratulations for the peace of mind :)!.. which city could you go through? Airport or land entry? Also, can you please share what questions they had asked? as i am not sure if I can say I came to Canada to activate my COPR.

Reactions: ryeCatcher

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
What questions did they ask?
1. Purpose of visit in Canada, did you follow self isolation for 14 days. How long in Canada.
2. What do you do in the states, when was this 797 issued, were you in the US when this current 797 was issued.
3. Have you changed jobs since last entry (I had changed employer).

Reactions: decdeccan

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
That was fantastic! congratulations for the peace of mind :)!.. which city could you go through? Airport or land entry? Also, can you please share what questions they had asked? as i am not sure if I can say I came to Canada to activate my COPR.
Toronto airport.
I said that honestly, that I had come to finish my PR processes. The CBP officer asked me if I had followed self isolation guidelines for 14 days :).
Other questions above.

raxx.cater

Star Member
Sep 21, 2019
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
30-05-2019
Doc's Request.
08-01-2020
AOR Received.
30-05-2019
Med's Done....
24-05-2019
Passport Req..
04-02-2020
VISA ISSUED...
07-02-2020
LANDED..........
14-05-2020
Hello guys, just an update.
I returned back to US on May-29 using AVR without any issues. Only 2 questions asked by CBP:
1. Type of Visa.
2. Duration of stay in Canada.