+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

anyone successful on flying back to USA using AVR ?

Mm81

Jan 10, 2018
Hi,
I have gone through some threads where boarding passes where not issued by the airlines because the visa stamped was expired and they were not aware of the AVR provision.

Is there anyone who was able to successfully fly back to USA using AVR?
Please share your experience and also the Airlines which allows passenger entering USA using AVR option.
I am planning to fly into Canada to complete my PR landing and then fly back to USA by Air Canada airlines. Does it allow AVR passenger?

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
At least big airports like Toronto, airlines must be definitely knowing about AVR. If not clearly tell them that i94 is your travel document issued for travel to US.

If you still feel nervous about it, you could take a flight to some US border and cross it by a rental car to do the landing.

TimeLord18

Star Member
Jan 7, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I did my landing on Jan12th and used AVR to return to the US. I was unable to get a boarding pass from the kiosk and had to check with an agent. Showed my expired Visa and the valid H1 with I94 and got the boarding pass.

The US customs officers in Toronto are aware of the AVR rule. I still had to go to secondary inspection where a second agent verified my docs and let me go. You should be fine as long as you have all the docs ready. Just remember not to provide any information to the US customs officers unless they specifically ask for it. The Canadian officers much more friendly and relaxed. You shouldn't have any issues with PR process.

Mm81

Jan 10, 2018
I did my landing on Jan12th and used AVR to return to the US. I was unable to get a boarding pass from the kiosk and had to check with an agent. Showed my expired Visa and the valid H1 with I94 and got the boarding pass.

The US customs officers in Toronto are aware of the AVR rule. I still had to go to secondary inspection where a second agent verified my docs and let me go. You should be fine as long as you have all the docs ready. Just remember not to provide any information to the US customs officers unless they specifically ask for it. The Canadian officers much more friendly and relaxed. You shouldn't have any issues with PR process.
Thank you for your reply! I appreciate it!

May I know which airlines did you fly with? I am planning to fly 3 months before my current i797 expires as the extension will take time so hopefully they would let me travel

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016

Hey one quick question.. have you checked your i94 online in CBP website after coming back? Did you get a new i94 online with Jan 12 as last entry date? Or just this trip reflects in your travel history of CBP alone?

TimeLord18

Star Member
Jan 7, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you for your reply! I appreciate it!

May I know which airlines did you fly with? I am planning to fly 3 months before my current i797 expires as the extension will take time so hopefully they would let me travel
I flew with American Airlines. They should let you travel, but with only 3Mo left in ur current i797 u should probably check with your attorney regarding any documents they can provide to show that ur employer intends to extend your employment.

TimeLord18

Star Member
Jan 7, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey one quick question.. have you checked your i94 online in CBP website after coming back? Did you get a new i94 online with Jan 12 as last entry date? Or just this trip reflects in your travel history of CBP alone?
Yes. I am able to check my i94 online and it shows the latest i94 information. I can only access this info when I use my old passport number. I think it's because the expired visa is stamped on my old passport. However, I can check travel history using both old and new passport numbers.

Reactions: Hopeful4Canada

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Yes. I am able to check my i94 online and it shows the latest i94 information. I can only access this info when I use my old passport number. I think it's because the expired visa is stamped on my old passport. However, I can check travel history using both old and new passport numbers.
Thanks. So you got a new online i94 with Jan 12 as entry date and the admit date is up to the petition expiry date?

TimeLord18

Star Member
Jan 7, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks. So you got a new online i94 with Jan 12 as entry date and the admit date is up to the petition expiry date?
Yes. It shows Jan 13 (which was when I came back) as recent date of entry and Feb 13, 2020 as admit until date.

Reactions: DEEPCUR

pryda31

Sep 18, 2017
Hi,
I have gone through some threads where boarding passes where not issued by the airlines because the visa stamped was expired and they were not aware of the AVR provision.

Is there anyone who was able to successfully fly back to USA using AVR?
Please share your experience and also the Airlines which allows passenger entering USA using AVR option.
I am planning to fly into Canada to complete my PR landing and then fly back to USA by Air Canada airlines. Does it allow AVR passenger?
I have personally used AVR on atleast 7 occasions in the last year. 4 times I flew across the border and 3 times i drove. Had no issues at all. At the airports they do ask to see your i797 and will stamp your passport however on land borders they don't even stamp your passport.

Flew from Vancouver to NY, Alberta to NY, Toronto to NJ and Toronto to TX with no issues. Had land crossings on Ontario/ NY border and Quebec/ NY border.

Let me know if you have any questions.

-P

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
I have personally used AVR on atleast 7 occasions in the last year. 4 times I flew across the border and 3 times i drove. Had no issues at all. At the airports they do ask to see your i797 and will stamp your passport however on land borders they don't even stamp your passport.

Flew from Vancouver to NY, Alberta to NY, Toronto to NJ and Toronto to TX with no issues. Had land crossings on Ontario/ NY border and Quebec/ NY border.

Let me know if you have any questions.

-P
Did you get new i94 online for each and every trip?

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
No, only the times that I flew across is when I got a new i94. Other times they just verified the date on the stamp.
Okay.. I had a trip through Windsor - Detroit and wasn't provided a new i94. The trip was just showing in travel history. But my attorney wanted it to get corrected and I was skeptical about it as I have seen people who cross the border in this forum have had similar experiences (no new i94, just travel history update). So I reached out to CBP customer care online showing scans of all the documents, and even they suggested to get it fixed. And finally I took it to CBP deferred inspection center and they did fix it.

Since you have had to use it multiple times, I am presuming not getting i94 is also absolutely okay. I am not sure what is the law regarding this and what would be the correct way to go. I wish they had a uniform approach.

Vianb

May 30, 2017

hi TimeLord18,
I too had the same question. Planning to do our landing process next month and will try to come back via AVR.

Just to verify, are there any formalities from our side after receiving the COPR and before we land?

Thanks

Vian