+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anyone from Montreal got online test invite and/or oath ceremony

cobie2

Star Member
Aug 23, 2021
I'm a Montreal December 2020 applicant and I passed my test on July 5th. Only Citizenship test and Background Check is complete in my online tracker. Should I expect an update in September? I need to travel abroad for work during the entire month of September, so I'm wondering if I'm going to have to cut that short. With the situation in Afghanistan + Elections, does it seem likely?
You may want to apply for urgent processing. September is only a few days away though and with the current track record of the Montreal office it's very very unlikely that you will have an oath date before September.

Aug 26, 2021
You may want to apply for urgent processing. September is only a few days away though and with the current track record of the Montreal office it's very very unlikely that you will have an oath date before September.
I don't need the citizenship for the travel, so I don't think this qualifies me for urgent processing. I just don't want to be in a situation where I get the oath while abroad and have to reschedule because I'm outside Canada. If I do that, who knows when the next date would be :)

But yeah, it seems very unlikely based on this thread and the data in the sheet

alex the king

Jun 24, 2017
Canada
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
07-07-2016
AOR Received.
14-11-2016
Med's Request
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
11-01-2017
Passport Req..
27-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
07-11-2017
LANDED..........
24-12-2017
I'm a Montreal December 2020 applicant and I passed my test on July 5th. Only Citizenship test and Background Check is complete in my online tracker. Should I expect an update in September? I need to travel abroad for work during the entire month of September, so I'm wondering if I'm going to have to cut that short. With the situation in Afghanistan + Elections, does it seem likely?
Nearly same time line with tracker status, Janury 2021 Application, completed Back check in May and Citizenship test June 28th and updated to completed and nothing else happened since then tomorrow 2 months will complete. Maybe they will send all Invites same time after the election. Never know if they wake up tomorrow and invite us for the Oath :) . I don;t think Afghanistan situation have any impact on IRCC Montreal becuase other offices working sealessly some how and our visa office just enjoying summer like everyone says. Hope for the Best.

You can travel and come back for ceremony, if they invite you while you are aborad , you can reschdeule .

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Seems to be 8+ months - the last person on this forum (PriceOfThieves) to have received the oath invite was a July 2019 applicant with DM in January 2021 and their ceremony is scheduled for August 31.
This is awful. Why is it this long? Is this particular to Montreal or other offices have similar timeline?

cobie2

Star Member
Aug 23, 2021
I don't need the citizenship for the travel, so I don't think this qualifies me for urgent processing. I just don't want to be in a situation where I get the oath while abroad and have to reschedule because I'm outside Canada. If I do that, who knows when the next date would be :)

But yeah, it seems very unlikely based on this thread and the data in the sheet
I would go on the work trip if I were you. The Montreal office seems to be the slowest at scheduling oath ceremonies. The wait time from Decision Made to oath invite could be 8+months (going by the last person on this forum to have received theirs). It seems you aren't even at the Decision Made stage.

Aug 26, 2021
I would go on the work trip if I were you. The Montreal office seems to be the slowest at scheduling oath ceremonies. The wait time from Decision Made to oath invite could be 8+months (going by the last person on this forum to have received theirs). It seems you aren't even at the Decision Made stage.
True, thanks for the advice. That is something I didn't know. I thought DM and Oath was coming at the same time. If there is even another waiting period between DM->Oath :D I guess I should be fine.

Reactions: cobie2

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
I think offices especially the Montreal office could conduct oath ceremonies in outside in-person events in parks to clear the oath backlog. This is very doable and it's effective. Each ceremony could accommodate 300-500 people.

Reactions: novascotia27
Aug 26, 2021
Completely agree, they can just fill the Molson stadium with 2000 people and do a mass oath, it would also look good for the election. Access would be limited to people doing the oath, and they can just process us in the concession area after people give the oath in the bleachers + field. Heck, add 15 Passport Canada clerks in there behind the ticket booths and you'll also reduce the overload to the passport office after.

Xliliax

Jan 5, 2018
Montreal
Category........
Other
Getting into this thread… March 2020 applicant. Decision Made in April 23rd. Oath shows as Not Started in the tracker ….

In the 2020 Excel sheet I see a January 2020 applicant got an oath invite….? Should I dare hope?

lowe

Aug 20, 2021
Completely agree, they can just fill the Molson stadium with 2000 people and do a mass oath, it would also look good for the election. Access would be limited to people doing the oath, and they can just process us in the concession area after people give the oath in the bleachers + field. Heck, add 15 Passport Canada clerks in there behind the ticket booths and you'll also reduce the overload to the passport office after.
Clearly, you're too innovative and too smart to be in the civil service

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Getting into this thread… March 2020 applicant. Decision Made in April 23rd. Oath shows as Not Started in the tracker ….

In the 2020 Excel sheet I see a January 2020 applicant got an oath invite….? Should I dare hope?
You have been waiting for oath since April :eek: I saw a July 2019 applicant in the spreadsheet who got DM in July took the oath on August 10th. I wonder why this huge variation between applicants.

I think the number of people who report their updates are small relative to the total number of people, and thus we don't actually know what happens with the majority of people in the Montreal office.

Reactions: novascotia27

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Clearly, you're too innovative and too smart to be in the civil service
I am not sure about 2000 in a stadium, but the idea of outdoor in-person oath ceremonies are actually being done in the US, albeit is small scale, but I think with the right tools and resources, the number can be pushed to at least 200 people in a natural park or other spacious area. If the Montreal office does one ceremony a week of 50 people, this means that around 2500 people give their oath in a year. If we assume 25000 people become citizens in QC each year, this will take years and years to clear the backlog for the oath. I think outdoor in-person oath ceremonies can help clear this backlog. Consider it as a concert. At the gate clerks help with the paper work to enter, and then we all swear the oath before a judge (who doesn't need physically to be there). Tentative ideas that can be perfected by IRCC if they are willing to clear the backlog.

Reactions: waitingforupdates
Aug 26, 2021
I am not sure about 2000 in a stadium, but the idea of outdoor in-person oath ceremonies are actually being done in the US, albeit is small scale, but I think with the right tools and resources, the number can be pushed to at least 200 people in a natural park or other spacious area. If the Montreal office does one ceremony a week of 50 people, this means that around 2500 people give their oath in a year. If we assume 25000 people become citizens in QC each year, this will take years and years to clear the backlog for the oath. I think outdoor in-person oath ceremonies can help clear this backlog. Consider it as a concert. At the gate clerks help with the paper work to enter, and then we all swear the oath before a judge (who doesn't need physically to be there). Tentative ideas that can be perfected by IRCC if they are willing to clear the backlog.
Where there's a will, there's a way. They just gotta want to do it.

Reactions: CaBeaver