+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

anyone from europe?

Matt173

Oct 13, 2019
Does not really apply when this thread is clearly about students from Europe who are currently not even allowed to enter the US, let alone Canada. European onboarding students whose study permit is approved after March 18 currently cannot enter Canada. Not legally at least. If you are referring to an American citizen who is currently in Europe then that has nothing to do with this thread as most every post here pertains to European citizens.

You just answered the question, it's true that some students can enter Canada.

Bishops2020

Aug 8, 2020
Why are you guys all so hellbound on the 2nd stage approval? With AIP you can take classes online. If you submitted factually true information and all requested documents and made a clear case that you will return to your home country after graduation then study permit approval is guaranteed. So, why the worry? With the study permit approval you can anyway not enter Canada at this point in time at all.
Some students have in person courses so they need their study permits approved and travel restrictions lifted.

Some students have found without a study permit, in the event they are refused a study permit, their institution will not refund fees, another reason to needs study permit even if doing lousy online studies.

Matt173

Oct 13, 2019
You are missing the point. If your study permit gets approved after March 18 then you don't get in, even if your travel is deemed essential. The only exception is American legal residents entering Canada from the US. Has nothing to do with this thread though.

Some students have in person courses so they need their study permits approved and travel restrictions lifted.

Some students have found without a study permit, in the event they are refused a study permit, their institution will not refund fees, another reason to needs study permit even if doing lousy online studies.

ChemIsr

Star Member
Aug 25, 2020
Israel
Category........
FSW
Nomination.....
BC PNP Inland
AOR Received.
14-10-2023
Med's Request
No
Med's Done....
No
You are missing the point. If your study permit gets approved after March 18 then you don't get in, even if your travel is deemed essential. The only exception is American legal residents entering Canada from the US. Has nothing to do with this thread though.
My university can issue a letter that enables me to enter Canada.
On this forum there are some people who do not meet aforestated requirements but succeeded in entering.

Reactions: Sad93 and DCA

Bishops2020

Aug 8, 2020
Does not really apply when this thread is clearly about students from Europe who are currently not even allowed to enter the US, let alone Canada. European onboarding students whose study permit is approved after March 18 currently cannot enter Canada. Not legally at least. If you are referring to an American citizen who is currently in Europe then that has nothing to do with this thread as most every post here pertains to European citizens.
If you read the regulations, anyone can enter Canada from the USA so long as it's essential travel with a study permit, including study permits issued after 18 march 2018. Therefore if a student gets thwir
I'm not missing the point, stated clearly and you copied it, waiting for study permit approval and lifting of travel restrictions.

Matt173

Oct 13, 2019
The letter does not enable you to enter Canada. If your study permit was issued after March 18 then most likely you can't enter Canada unless you are an American resident/citizen and enter Canada from the US. Those rules are very clearly stated on every CBSA and IRCC website. And I talk about this specific thread not the entire forum. Above rule applies to every incoming student on this forum though. I am still confused which part of this rule is open to interpretation or exception. If a border agent in an isolated individual, case did not enforce this rule then that is an anomaly. If that makes you think you can try, too, then sure try but most likely you will get rejected.

My university can issue a letter that enables me to enter Canada.
On this forum there are some people who do not meet aforestated requirements but succeeded in entering.

Matt173

Oct 13, 2019
As European you cannot even currently enter the US unless you hop onto another allowed country and spend 14 days there before flying to the US. And it's absolutely controversial and unclear whether the waiver of the March 18 requirement applies to only American residents/citizens or everyone. I had exchanges over multiple pages with tons of people in this forum and everyone agreed that it is not a settled nor clear issue. Don't shoot the messenger, I merely state the facts.

If what you state held true then your daughter would have entered Canada a long time ago.

If you read the regulations, anyone can enter Canada from the USA so long as it's essential travel with a study permit, including study permits issued after 18 march 2018. Therefore if a student gets thwir
I'm not missing the point, stated clearly and you copied it, waiting for study permit approval and lifting of travel restrictions.

Bishops2020

Aug 8, 2020
As European you cannot even currently enter the US unless you hop onto another allowed country and spend 14 days there before flying to the US. And it's absolutely controversial and unclear whether the waiver of the March 18 requirement applies to only American residents/citizens or everyone. I had exchanges over multiple pages with tons of people in this forum and everyone agreed that it is not a settled nor clear issue. Don't shoot the messenger, I merely state the facts.

If what you state held true then your daughter would have entered Canada a long time ago.
Why would my daughter have entered long ago? Her university took 4 months to issue her LOA meaning she did not apply for CAQ till Feb meaning she did not apply for her study permit till May, so she has no approved study permit.

I'll say again, the reason why people would like their study permits approved is because they might have an essential reason to travel and they will also be waiting for travel restrictions to be lifted so they can finally travel. The other reason people might want their study permits to be approved is so that they don't lose their fees paid for the current online studies, if they get their study permit finally rejected, meaning they will have to stop their online studies.

Reactions: Sad93

Matt173

Oct 13, 2019
And now we are for the first time talking about the real reasons. It has nothing to do with the ability to enter Canada now even if the study permit was issued. On all other points I agree with you.

Why would my daughter have entered long ago? Her university took 4 months to issue her LOA meaning she did not apply for CAQ till Feb meaning she did not apply for her study permit till May, so she has no approved study permit.

I'll say again, the reason why people would like their study permits approved is because they might have an essential reason to travel and they will also be waiting for travel restrictions to be lifted so they can finally travel. The other reason people might want their study permits to be approved is so that they don't lose their fees paid for the current online studies, if they get their study permit finally rejected, meaning they will have to stop their online studies.

Bishops2020

Aug 8, 2020
It is very relevant now to have a study permit approved. For some, it is a step closer to getting to their studies in Canada.

Reactions: Sad93

Matt173

Oct 13, 2019
That we can agree on. Good luck for your daughter. I understand that it will be her first college/university experience. I am a graduate student and understand how precious the on campus undergrad experience is... Best wishes to all of us.

It is very relevant now to have a study permit approved. For some, it is a step closer to getting to their studies in Canada.

Matt173

Oct 13, 2019
Again, this is not the point. To enter Canada you need to satisfy TWO requirements, the travel as to be classified as essential AND the study permit must have been issued before March 18. If you satisfy requirement 1 but fail 2 then you don't qualify. It's really that simple. Requirement 2 does not apply to American legal residents and citizens who enter Canada from the US for sure, and it MAY not apply to other nationals who enter Canada from the US either. But that is a highly contentious interpretation and I have so far not heard of a single non US national who entered Canada from the US and whose study permit was approved after March 18.

There was some updates on the CIC website recently. Did you check it?

Your travel to Canada may be considered non-discretionary as a student if:
  • you need to be in Canada for your program (for laboratory work, workshops, or similar)
  • your school isn’t offering online study options
  • you can’t study online from your home country because of internet restrictions or bandwidth limitations
  • you can’t participate in live online classes from your home country because of the difference in time zones

DCA

Sep 14, 2020
Again, this is not the point. To enter Canada you need to satisfy TWO requirements, the travel as to be classified as essential AND the study permit must have been issued before March 18. If you satisfy requirement 1 but fail 2 then you don't qualify. It's really that simple. Requirement 2 does not apply to American legal residents and citizens who enter Canada from the US for sure, and it MAY not apply to other nationals who enter Canada from the US either. But that is a highly contentious interpretation and I have so far not heard of a single non US national who entered Canada from the US and whose study permit was approved after March 18.
Please, read carefully, that is not regarding study permit issued before March 18. That's for all students, having their permit issued even after that.

Matt173

Oct 13, 2019
Link pls. I am willing to bet with you that the portion you pasted is only regarding discretionary travel, it's not the entire exception to the travel ban for certain students.

Please, read carefully, that is not regarding study permit issued before March 18. That's for all students, having their permit issued even after that.

Matt173

Oct 13, 2019
Let me save you the time:

Travel exemptions and restrictions for international students
To be able to enter Canada, you must meet 2 requirements:

1. You must be travelling for an essentialFootnote1 (non-discretionary) purpose.
  2. You must be 1 of the following:
    • an international student with a valid study permit or who was approved for a study permit on or before March 18, 2020
    • travelling directly from the US
Your travel to Canada may be considered non-discretionary as a student if

• you already live in Canada
  • you need to be in Canada for your program (for laboratory work, workshops, or similar)
  • your school isn’t offering online study options
  • you can’t study online from your home country because of internet restrictions or bandwidth limitations
  • you can’t participate in live online classes from your home country because of the difference in time zones
A border services officer will make the final decision on whether your reason for travelling to Canada is non-discretionary or non-optional.