+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anyone applying to University of Victoria(Fall 2016)

haris00

Aug 15, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13th Oct,2016
Doc's Request.
Med's Request
24th Oct,2016
Med's Done....
3rd Nov, 2016 (passed on 11th Nov, 2016)
Passport Req..
21-11-2016
VISA ISSUED...
25-11-2016
I am applying to UVic too for the MSc computer science program.
Can you guys please comment on the total fee for 2 years program? I cannot find it on the page and I have heard that it is quite less.
Thanks

kool.keith

Oct 25, 2015
Visa Office......
NY
I found some information on this link http://www.uvic.ca/graduatestudies/finances/tuition/result.php?residency=I&level=GR&program=27
However it's still better to email the grad department.

What is your profile?

haris00

Aug 15, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13th Oct,2016
Doc's Request.
Med's Request
24th Oct,2016
Med's Done....
3rd Nov, 2016 (passed on 11th Nov, 2016)
Passport Req..
21-11-2016
VISA ISSUED...
25-11-2016
kool.keith said:
I found some information on this link http://www.uvic.ca/graduatestudies/finances/tuition/result.php?residency=I&level=GR&program=27
However it's still better to email the grad department.

What is your profile?
Yea, but this link is not specific to MSc Computer science and thus leaves some confusion
My Profile is:
BS Computer Eng: 82%
IELTS: 7.5
GRE: 154V/153Q/4AW
Work Exp: 8 months

JASMIN1992

Jul 27, 2014
can anyone guide me in changing the assessment request in the UVic application. I have submitted the application but by mistake cancelled the request for assessment and I cannot find any link to undo or change the referee information.
I would be grateful if anyone can guide me.

span

Oct 10, 2015
Interesting!! Thats exactly what happened to me today. Someone please help us. Actually I applied last week and I contacted my referees today and found that they havent got any mail from UVic yet. I checked my submitted application and it showed that sending request still and I thout I could try canceling and resend it. But after i click cancel, it just shows canceled with no option to resend or edit referee detail. Sum1 PLz help!!

djam89

Dec 19, 2015
My application is in the same status it says Sending request in the referee section. I think it is just a matter of time, the university is on holidays till today and may be the application requires some-kind of manual check.

Sparsha

Star Member
Aug 26, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think @djam89 is right.. It could be because of holidays... I think the holidays are till 6th of Jan, so wait till 7th or 8th and then try.. If the issue persists, drop a mail to Grad office.. I think they would help out!....

ghvk12

Mar 18, 2015
Hi @Sparsha..

I have applied for uVic, M.Sc. CS and waiting for the decision. Please let me know if u get to know abt decision.

Thanks

Sparsha

Star Member
Aug 26, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ghvk12 said:
Hi @Sparsha..

I have applied for uVic, M.Sc. CS and waiting for the decision. Please let me know if u get to know abt decision.

Thanks
@ ghvk12

Sure... I think we need to give the university time till Jan ending... Have you applied for industrial option?

sushilsrk

May 16, 2012
you need a supervisor for research based and course based. Although the supervisor is associated with you if you go for industrial option but the process is a bit easy. You donèt have to convince the supervisor and they look your profile and make decision.

JASMIN1992 said:
I am applying for MS(Computer Science) in Uni of Victoria for fall 2016. Anyone who has applied for the same please join in..
I want to know whether a supervisor is required for MSc (Research based or course based)? If yes, has anyone got any reply from potential supervisor?

sushilsrk

May 16, 2012
you are absolutely correvt u dont need an supervisor for industrial option. All he application under industrial option is accessed by the committee and the decision is made.
You should see some status change in March or April and not before that as the last date for the admission application is mid jan (i guess) .

Good luck

Sparsha said:
Hi,

I have applied to University of Victoria for MSc in Computer Science (Industrial Option) for Fall 2016.
I think a supervisor would be required for research based, pretty unsure about Course work and Industrial Option. It's a common notion that the latter two do not require a supervisor. It's ain't clearly mentioned in the university website too- specific concentration wise. However, I have applied without placing any supervisor name in my application, hoping it would not affect my chances of admission because of the common belief everyone has..
I have glanced around other posts in this forum, there was a guy who stated that a supervisor is indeed necessary for any concentration, according to him for M.Eng in Mechanical Engineering though.

Let me know for any updates though!...

sushilsrk

May 16, 2012
If you all are thinking who i m so JFYI i have completed my masters from uvic in computer science in sept 2015. I took admission under industrial option but changed to Thesis based in 3rd term.

Sparsha

Star Member
Aug 26, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sushilsrk said:
If you all are thinking who i m so JFYI i have completed my masters from uvic in computer science in sept 2015. I took admission under industrial option but changed to Thesis based in 3rd term.
Hi sushilsrk,

Thank god you're from UVic.
I wanted to know why did you shift from Industrial option to thesis (only if you're okay answering it :))..
I am planning to take up Course work rather than Industrial, given the fact that industrial option has very low duration. I have already submitted my application with industrial option. I think we can still write a mial to the Grads office to opt for CourseWork. I am aiming for PR and better job prospects there. Can you give us some more insights on UVic. How is the university? How about options beyond graduation and everything? Masters in CS?
I know it takes a lot of your time, but it would be helpful for future students :)..
Thanks in advance...

sushilsrk

May 16, 2012
@sparsha :- This not to scare you but just to tell you the truth

well i was scared of writing and never thought i will ever move to thesis option. When I came to uvic i was just another guy who did his undergrad (where i learnt just one thing how to prepare for exam just a night before) and with some experience (where i learned to be patient). I took the course "Big data" in my first term and that changed my view towards studies. The study system here is totally different as, people are way to hungry to learn things rather the scoring grades. I was offered a research project which many people rejected and never wanted to do. I picked that and moved to thesis so I can get funding :). Those were the reason for the change.

The duration of the course is on you. you can complete the course in 3 terms or can take it to as long as you want. So it doesnt matter which option you go for. My suggestion till the time you dont have acceptance from some supervisor then dont mail GRad dept to change your application from industrial to course based. As course based need approval from some supervisor. JFYI most of the senior professors are either going on subaticle leaves or have there labs full so dont risk your admission chances.

Everyones aim is PR but you never know what will change in next 3-4 years. UVIC is a good school and you can choose from 2 options. learning things hard way or just do Masters. if you go through hard way you have to push yourself to excel in course but if you go other way you can just take stupid courses with less work load and pass. many people in india (i thought the same) that I can easily do that as I have experience or I am smart. But technically the study system is different here(atleast for me it was different as i did my engg in 2004-2008).
every course has different outline. there will be weight for assignments, midterms, final exam, projects. For masters you should know 2 things:-

a) You should love coding. If you love one language practice more on that with good programs. If you dont love coding then think again about ur decision. because the undergrads here are smart and you will have good competition from them when you go for co-op interviews or jobs.

b) You should know what you wana do. Your area of interest:- cloud computers/AI/HCI/bla bla . Dont be a chicken head and be everywhere. Read research papers of that area. Do something good with your research because you wont get this opportunity again

Co-op is a good way to learn about Canadian culture and make money :) but there is tough competition for that always. Lucky enough that comp science has more options then any other stream. Make contacts when you go for co-ops that's how u get hired at the end. There are no on-campus placements. If you are good then you can get co-op at Microsoft, FB, google too.

I was not nor I dreamt that big because for me stability was major thing and not money. Thats why i rejected a good offer from private firm and accepted a position in victoria with Govt.

Let me know if you have any specific questions I will respond if I login again.

Sparsha said:
Hi sushilsrk,

Thank god you're from UVic.
I wanted to know why did you shift from Industrial option to thesis (only if you're okay answering it :))..
I am planning to take up Course work rather than Industrial, given the fact that industrial option has very low duration. I have already submitted my application with industrial option. I think we can still write a mial to the Grads office to opt for CourseWork. I am aiming for PR and better job prospects there. Can you give us some more insights on UVic. How is the university? How about options beyond graduation and everything? Masters in CS?
I know it takes a lot of your time, but it would be helpful for future students :)..
Thanks in advance...

Sparsha

Star Member
Aug 26, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi sushilsrk,

That was really a very good information.

Thanks for saving my chances of admission.. It was your honest opinion... Glad about it.
I personally don't have much questions. Big Data is a very good field. Good luck to you on that.
I am just waiting on my admission chances, post that I may have several questions to badger you..

I guess everyone in this thread got a picture of University of Victoria for MS in CS. I heard the Coop option is very good in this university. Well, currently I am just like you before you joined the university ("I can easily do that as I have experience or I am smart") :p
It's kinda eye opening for me ;)

Is there anything (morally or technically) you wanted me to brush my brain up on? Like learn something. I know it totally depends on interest ;)...

Anyways one huge word - "THANKS"! :)