+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anyone applying to University of Victoria(Fall 2016)

JASMIN1992

Jul 27, 2014
I am applying for MS(Computer Science) in Uni of Victoria for fall 2016. Anyone who has applied for the same please join in..
I want to know whether a supervisor is required for MSc (Research based or course based)? If yes, has anyone got any reply from potential supervisor?

Sparsha

Star Member
Aug 26, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
JASMIN1992 said:
I am applying for MS(Computer Science) in Uni of Victoria for fall 2016. Anyone who has applied for the same please join in..
I want to know whether a supervisor is required for MSc (Research based or course based)? If yes, has anyone got any reply from potential supervisor?
Hi,

I have applied to University of Victoria for MSc in Computer Science (Industrial Option) for Fall 2016.
I think a supervisor would be required for research based, pretty unsure about Course work and Industrial Option. It's a common notion that the latter two do not require a supervisor. It's ain't clearly mentioned in the university website too- specific concentration wise. However, I have applied without placing any supervisor name in my application, hoping it would not affect my chances of admission because of the common belief everyone has..
I have glanced around other posts in this forum, there was a guy who stated that a supervisor is indeed necessary for any concentration, according to him for M.Eng in Mechanical Engineering though.

Let me know for any updates though!...

bilaltufail

Star Member
Mar 4, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sparsha said:
Hi,

I have applied to University of Victoria for MSc in Computer Science (Industrial Option) for Fall 2016.
I think a supervisor would be required for research based, pretty unsure about Course work and Industrial Option. It's a common notion that the latter two do not require a supervisor. It's ain't clearly mentioned in the university website too- specific concentration wise. However, I have applied without placing any supervisor name in my application, hoping it would not affect my chances of admission because of the common belief everyone has..
I have glanced around other posts in this forum, there was a guy who stated that a supervisor is indeed necessary for any concentration, according to him for M.Eng in Mechanical Engineering though.

Let me know for any updates though!...
sparsha.
let us know about updation about ur application in university of victoria.as u apply without supervisor.
i am aslo gonig to apply .i email professors but not reply from them.

G.Singh

Dec 31, 2014
Hi,
Is UoV the best uni for MS in CS? If not, Which are the ones you guys consider as best?
Thanks

djam89

Dec 19, 2015
Hey ,
I've been looking at the UVic MSC CS programs in their website, and It seems that the deadline has already passed.

are there any chances to apply for UVic MSC yet?

Sparsha

Star Member
Aug 26, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
djam89 said:
Hey ,
I've been looking at the UVic MSC CS programs in their website, and It seems that the deadline has already passed.

are there any chances to apply for UVic MSC yet?
The deadline is in Jan 15th,2016 I suppose. please check the portal again..

Sparsha

Star Member
Aug 26, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bilaltufail said:
sparsha.
let us know about updation about ur application in university of victoria.as u apply without supervisor.
i am aslo gonig to apply .i email professors but not reply from them.
I have applied, the status is "Application Forwarded to the Graduate Admission Committee" (something like this). I shall update you further on this once I see any change in the status. It's Christmas time now, so I think it would cause a delay due to the holidays.
All the best for your application!...

bilaltufail

Star Member
Mar 4, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sparsha said:
I have applied, the status is "Application Forwarded to the Graduate Admission Committee" (something like this). I shall update you further on this once I see any change in the status. It's Christmas time now, so I think it would cause a delay due to the holidays.
All the best for your application!...
sparsha..
any update about ur application in uvic?

kool.keith

Oct 25, 2015
Visa Office......
NY
hey Guys

Please be informed that I am a Bachelor of Technology in Computer Science graduate (4 years degree with medium of instruction in English) from India with an aggregate of 62% and according to my university it is considered as first division.

My TOEFL score is 79 (R-16,L-20,S-22,W-21).

Work Exp 3+ Years in Computer Networks

So Based on my on profile, Can I apply at UVic for MSc in CS??
I really wish to apply though and the deadline too is around the corner

KB3

Star Member
Dec 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Bengaluru
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2016
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
Upfront
VISA ISSUED...
17-06-2016
kool.keith said:
hey Guys

Please be informed that I am a Bachelor of Technology in Computer Science graduate (4 years degree with medium of instruction in English) from India with an aggregate of 62% and according to my university it is considered as first division.

My TOEFL score is 79 (R-16,L-20,S-22,W-21).

Work Exp 3+ Years in Computer Networks

So Based on my on profile, Can I apply at UVic for MSc in CS??
I really wish to apply though and the deadline too is around the corner
Well, your score is quite less and you need to digest that... But since you have some work exp. than it might help you in M.Eng (not sure though; depend on course and uni.)

If you are looking at MSc than it is a tough road. you will need a supervisor for that... and supervisor search for students with high academics and some research exp. they will always prefer students who are eligible for scholarship criteria (that is around 85-90%). I had 81% and still supervisors turned me down with reason that I cannot get scholarship and they only accept students with scholarship.

Okay, still no one can tell whether you are eligible or not other than the university itself. every university has their own scales to convert grades of a degree from specific country and university. So you may drop a mail to the university regarding eligibility. If you are really really interested then you may procced with the application and give it a try (sometimes luck do work): then you need to prepare superb SOP (that can compensate for low marks) and try to convince supervisor.

Coming to your question about eligibility with first class... that depends on university... I had the same query with ucalgary and this is the reply I got...
If you provide a degree certificate indicating that you have received first class/division standing (based on a four year degree) then you will meet the academic requirements to qualify for a master’s program here. In terms of calculating your GPA we will have to calculate that based on your transcripts here. I cannot calculate these prior to your application so I cannot comment on whether or not you could be admitted. If you think you qualify based on your own calculations then it’s probably a good idea to apply.
This is for Uni of Calgary just to give u an idea.

Hope this helps

KB3

Star Member
Dec 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Bengaluru
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2016
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
Upfront
VISA ISSUED...
17-06-2016
And your reading score is 16... this is more serious problem... I don't know if it is allowed for the course you are targeting but the general admission requirements says you are not... so worry about your English test score first.

I you can manage to reappear for this then it might work... university do allow 1-2 weeks to receive the score if you have submitted application before deadline.

Sparsha

Star Member
Aug 26, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bilaltufail said:
sparsha..
any update about ur application in uvic?
@bilaltufail

No update yet... it's in the same status...Maybe there would be a change in status next week owing to holidays now in Canada!

KB3

Star Member
Dec 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Bengaluru
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2016
IELTS Request
Med's Done....