+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anyone applied a Student Permit from Philippines?

whehwhehwheh

Nov 5, 2013
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-11-2013
Med's Request
15-11-2013
Med's Done....
26-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
13-12-2013
LANDED..........
29-12-2013
humdrumdum said:
Hi there whehwhehwheh! I am happy about hearing about your experience, as I was curious on what other people think of Canadian education. For me, it's kind of like the other way around... I agree that education here is, in a way, superior because of the myriad of resources institutions have. I guess we're really getting what we pay for as international students. It just frustrates me that a lot of students take these resources for granted, when there are students like us on the other side of the world who have to make do with what we have. There are a lot of brilliant students in the Philippines but a lot of us get set aside because of our country's status. At first, this made me really sad, but I guess it just gives us more purpose to prove ourselves in earning our credentials :)

I'm jealous though, I really wanted to enter McGill! I had to settle with a 2-year diploma program because I didn't want to go through another 4 years of undergraduate studies. :< As for my experience, they don't value as much critical thinking compared to what I was used to back in my home university. I am now a victim of over-thinking hahaha I'm not used to having to answer such straight-forward questions, it's kind of unnerving sometimes. The lessons aren't that tough for me, but it's the sheer volume of schoolwork that I have to deal with is what stresses me out. huhu
Hi, sorry for replying very late. Everything's really running at top speed here!!! I don't have much time anymore. I think that's how McGill is; I've asked people around and it looks like McGill is really work-intensive and that they cultivate a highly intellectual environment here. Haha, even the idea of "proving yourself as a Filipino" will pose many questions on many people here, and it's like you also get to think "why prove? insecure much?" :p So in the end, I just came to see to it that I do my job and that's it; let the proving manifest itself in the kind of work you give or present them. Anyway, volume of schoolwork here is hard; coming up with possible research area prospects is harder; assuming the English language as your (my) mother tongue [to be very communicative and articulate about ideas and just basically being appropriately social] is the hardest! I do wonder about your field of study...here, being in the frontiers of new research in music history and theory is really awesome (and also unnerving at a point). Access to loads of materials here in the music field do exceed what we have back there, which is even less that what is supposedly standard.

I would say though that we are getting what we paid for, while Canadians and PR's are really paying way less! Around 300% less than what we're being charged for. I've read somewhere that in international student rates, you really get to see how much Canadian university education costs at its core. And that we international students get the brunt of it. Very sobering and shocking, but it's also intriguing to take note that Canadian citizens and PRs, even with taxes higher than in the Philippines (and especially here in Quebec! Residents, including me as well, pay federal taxes AND provincial taxes), are very much well compensated and well taken care of by the government. That's why it's no surprise that some people here don't realize the actual cost of the privileges they enjoy here. So as for us, it's up for grabs!

I agree though that yes, we do have a lot of brilliant Filipino students!

whehwhehwheh

Nov 5, 2013
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-11-2013
Med's Request
15-11-2013
Med's Done....
26-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
13-12-2013
LANDED..........
29-12-2013
scottdickson86 said:
Hey guys!

Anyone already in McGill or Montreal? I'm trying to figure out if I should take in-campus or off-campus housing. In-campus housing is going to cost me $900 a month for a (3 1/2) single-room apartment. I don't know if this is a rip off. I also don't know anyone from Montreal so I'm clueless if I can find a good (furnished) apartment with a private bathroom that's just a walking distance from McGill engineering building.

Appreciate the tips! Salamat! :D
Hey!

I replied to your PM already. :)

whehwhehwheh

Nov 5, 2013
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-11-2013
Med's Request
15-11-2013
Med's Done....
26-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
13-12-2013
LANDED..........
29-12-2013
hardworkinglady said:
Ask lang kailangan pa ba mag submit ng Resume? Please help
Hello. For study permit applications, they don't ask for resumes or CVs. Just the necessary requirements on the checklist [including NBI...oh shucks I can't remember anymore which documents are needed). You'll find it posted somewhere anyway, or you can inquire at VFS.

Resumes/CVs are meant to be submitted to those institutions we'll be registering ourselves with, i.e. universities.

scottdickson86

Dec 4, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila (VFS Makati; paper)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-Jul-2014
Med's Done....
06-May-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-Jul-2014
LANDED..........
27-Aug-2014
whehwhehwheh said:
Hey!

I replied to your PM already. :)
Thanks man! Looking forward to grabbing some drinks when I get there. Cheers! ;)

sam.ong

Star Member
Oct 28, 2013
Manila, Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
BIQ-HongKong
NOC Code......
U118
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Mar 18, 2014
Nomination.....
CSQ issued: July 26, 2016
AOR Received.
QSWP Aug 6, 2014
IELTS Request
submitted after AOR ( Aug 20, 2014 )
File Transfer...
Federal Lodge - Sep 6, 2016 | Federal AOR Dec 9, 2016
Med's Request
Jan 16, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 8, 2017
Passport Req..
March 21, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
March 24, 2017
Hi everyone.

Ask ko lang po if pde nyo ishare un Degree nyo dito sa Pinas, ung work nyo at ano po unh course/ diploma program na itatake nyo sa Canada? I'm a School nurse po e and im trying to get an idea if ano course un applicable na itake if ever. any suggestions? Thaankk you :)

jode

Feb 15, 2014
Hi. Im a newbie here.hope anyone can give me insights regarding studyng in canada. Anyways, im a graduate of BS accountancy and a CPa. Im planning to take any business course in Acsenda School for 2yrs. Anyone have idea on Acsenda School? Is the school ok? Also may i know if may mga pilipino na ba na same course ko po na nagstudent visa then nakakita ng work sa canada? Is a 1 yr program ok already para maka hanap ka ng trabaho? Salamat po.

renievick09

Apr 12, 2013
Hi guys, I will be graduating na this coming June 13, thanks talaga sa forum and sa thread na toh, ang laking tulong, now I'm planning to stay here thru Post-Graduate Permit, anyone knows about the details/requirements ng post-graduate permit? Thanks.

HopefulAngel

Star Member
Jul 3, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Makati City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
06-20-2016
LANDED..........
12-08-2013
Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of applying for my off-campus work permit. Does anyone know if I need to have a job offer letter beforehand? I had the impression that looking into jobs goes after getting my work permit.

Good luck to all waiting for their visas!

HA

HopefulAngel

Star Member
Jul 3, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Makati City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
06-20-2016
LANDED..........
12-08-2013
As for proof of funding, I remember I had approximately 24,000 CAD in my bank account, plus a proof for my accommodation. I think that's safe? I applied mine in June via online application and had my visa a month after (got delayed because the hospital took a month to send my medical result). I assume it's safer to apply earlier, but it depends on how confident you are with your documents.

Good luck!

Krishessss said:
Another question, sorry guys ha andaming tanong.

Regarding sa proof of funds, my dad will be my sponsor kasi, so ideally lang naman, magkano satingin niyo yun kailangan fund ng dad ko sa bank niya? Ilang million para maging kahit papano eh SAFE. Thank you.

Or sarili kong account tapos mag transfer na lang ng money yung dad ko? How much kaya para safe?

Month of May application ba masaydo ng late for september?

May alam ba kayo na colleges na satingin niyo mabilis and okay for LPN?

Thank you thank you thank you talaga.

HopefulAngel

Star Member
Jul 3, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Makati City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
06-20-2016
LANDED..........
12-08-2013
And I don't think you'll need additional schooling for LPN. If you check the requirements for internationally educated nurses, I think qualified naman ang mga Filipino nurses (RNs) as long as you've had experience in the past few years before your application and good IELTS marks (for the certification exam).

charmainefrances

Oct 24, 2011
St. Albert, Alberta
Visa Office......
CPC/VEGREVILLE TRANSFERRED TO CIC-EDMONTON
App. Filed.......
23-11-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
12-10-2013
Med's Done....
23-10-2013 received by cic 31-10-2013
Interview........
12-09-2013 PASSED
Passport Req..
18-03-2014 PPR OF MY SON
VISA ISSUED...
10-06-2014
LANDED..........
June 24,2014 To God be the glory! PR CARD received: August 22, 2014 (exactly 60 days after landing)! Son's PR card arrived August 27, 2014 (exactly 65 days after landing)
Anybody here who applied a student permit last January through VFS? May result npo ba yung application nio!?

Thank you!

Mia A S

Star Member
Oct 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-06-2013
Med's Request
29-06-2013
Med's Done....
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
soon...sana with my family
Hi!

For those who already got their study permit and are already studying in canada, would you know if kailangan pa ba mag apply ng work permit if before ka umabot ng 6 mos mo dito, mapasa na yung ammendment sa study permit holders na pwede na magwork off campus kahit wala pa 6 mos basta valid ang study permit?

kasi i got here in canada last january. sa june 1 applicable na yung ammendment na all student permit holders are now eligible to work off campus without needing to apply for an off campus work permit. ngayon nagwowonder ako kung kailangan ko pa mag apply separately or kung yung current na student visa ko will suffice na and kung pwede na ba ako mag apply sa mga off campus jobs

frustratedcanadian

Jun 18, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
18-11-2016
starlettedouze said:
Hi dbc, if your child is of school-age, yes you need to apply for a study permit for her.

As for proof of funds, requirement is 1 year tuition plus CAD 10K for the principal applicant, CAD 4K for spouse and CAD 3K for child. If someone will sponsor your studies (e.g. parents), then 10K+4K+3K = 17K would be sufficient. But of course more is better.

If you are able to secure a letter of acceptance without IELTS, as such in your case since you will be taking an assessment instead, that is fine. Your acceptance though would likely be conditional but if you are able to show that you will satisfy the condition upon arrival, you are good to go.

Just to share, I have applied for a study permit with OWP for my spouse and SP as well for my daughter. Our POF is CAD 18,100K (since my mother will be sponsoring my studies and will provide accommodation too) and I will be taking an english assessment upon arrival since I haven't taken the academic IELTS yet. Got our visa approval today for all 3 of us :)

Hope this helps :)
Hi starlettedouze!

Wow visa approved for the 3 of you? Congrats! Will submit my application soon.. same as yours, SP for me, OWP for hubby and SP/TRV for my daughter (I am quite confused with this because I have read in the CIC site that my daughter do not need a student permit) Anyway, did u submit ALL ORIGINAL documents and were these returned back to you? would u mind posting all the documents u submitted so we can have an idea :) and your background na rin if its ok :)

Medyo takot lang ako because my family are all in Canada baka ma-deny because of that. :(

frustratedcanadian

Jun 18, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
18-11-2016
@Cocoagirl I have been reading your posts.. any update yet?