+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anyone applied a Student Permit from Philippines?

businessgirl2014

Star Member
Jul 7, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
File Transfer...
12-09-2014
Med's Request
22-09-2014
elyxandria said:
hi businessgirl...

I partially paid my tuition fee amounted to 5K then my husband's savings around 1OK then mine is around 5K... I also submitted financial support letter of my husband since he will be my financier, his monthly payslip and certificate of employment... As I have mentioned... I included a summary of my financial study plan for one year... My friend just helped me in doing a SOP... which I believe makes my application stronger... and of course faith on HIM... =)
case to case basis talaga sis noh..hehe..i presented the exact same docs.. except for the financial study plan for 1 year.. can u explain to us what that is? it may help our applications also.. hhehe

micmic

Star Member
Sep 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 4, 2015
Med's Request
April 6, 2015
Med's Done....
April 8, 2015 (PASSED April 23)
Passport Req..
Praying for it!
Hello!

I just came back from the Study Fair. All of the information given is the same as the ones circulating here. I did had a chat with the guy who presented the EOI (express entry) and as per our conversation it affects all the immigration options from CEC to FSW. What I was concerned about was the effect it'll have with CEC. As it turns out, CEC will still carry on and the Express Entry will just take effect once you're applying for PR. Unlike in New zealand, your choice of program of study already has an effect prior to your PR application ;D The schools present where mostly concentrated in Toronto but there were some from BC and Nova Scotia. The representative from Humber even recognized me from our last meet in Toronto ;D Surprisingly, the two University representative I talked to was unaware of Ontario's university requirements for masters program (applicant from the Philippines must already posses a masters degree in order to be considered in their masteral program). Unfortunately, I have no relatives in BC nor in NS so Ontario is my only option. The good news is that a post graduate program can make me eligible for a masters in ON ;D

I'm scheduled for IELTS this coming week. Wish me luck! Ngayon pa lang ako review! Aaaaaahhhh!!! :p

wondergirl1992

Sep 26, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
9-26-14
Med's Request
9-29-14
Med's Done....
10-1-14 transmitted 10-9-14
Passport Req..
10-15-14
VISA ISSUED...
10-23-25
LANDED..........
soon...
micmic said:
Hello!

I just came back from the Study Fair. All of the information given is the same as the ones circulating here. I did had a chat with the guy who presented the EOI (express entry) and as per our conversation it affects all the immigration options from CEC to FSW. What I was concerned about was the effect it'll have with CEC. As it turns out, CEC will still carry on and the Express Entry will just take effect once you're applying for PR. Unlike in New zealand, your choice of program of study already has an effect prior to your PR application ;D The schools present where mostly concentrated in Toronto but there were some from BC and Nova Scotia. The representative from Humber even recognized me from our last meet in Toronto ;D Surprisingly, the two University representative I talked to was unaware of Ontario's university requirements for masters program (applicant from the Philippines must already posses a masters degree in order to be considered in their masteral program). Unfortunately, I have no relatives in BC nor in NS so Ontario is my only option. The good news is that a post graduate program can make me eligible for a masters in ON ;D

I'm scheduled for IELTS this coming week. Wish me luck! Ngayon pa lang ako review! Aaaaaahhhh!!! :p
Good luck! I didnt teview for ielts coz ive been busy during those days, the exam is pretty easy tho :) im sure u will pass

micmic

Star Member
Sep 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 4, 2015
Med's Request
April 6, 2015
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
Praying for it!
Thanks for the the motivation wondergirl! I'm just pressured to have a score of at least 8 in all tests as it will open other doors for me :)

Quick question: Is there such a thing as an "education loan" offered by banks? I'm also looking into this option just in case I gave in to follow my heart's desire to earn a master's degree ;D

humdrumdum

Jul 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila (VAC, Paper-based)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2013
Med's Request
05-08-2013
Med's Done....
12-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-08-2013
LANDED..........
31-08-2013
micmic said:
Thanks for the the motivation wondergirl! I'm just pressured to have a score of at least 8 in all tests as it will open other doors for me :)

Quick question: Is there such a thing as an "education loan" offered by banks? I'm also looking into this option just in case I gave in to follow my heart's desire to earn a master's degree ;D
Hi micmic! Yep, as far as I know, banks do offer that, they refer to it as a "student line of credit". Since student loans are borrowed from the government, the bank has their own way of loaning money. Not familiar with the system though, you can check with the major banks to find out more. :) If you do well with paying them back, it can really help you improve your credit score, which will ultimately help you get you more loans / buy more expensive things hahahaha

P.S. not sure about our eligibility though, checked with Scotiabank and they only offer this to citizens and PRs...

mangosix

Jul 2, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 7, 2010
Doc's Request.
February 23, 2013 / March 4, 2014
AOR Received.
April 11, 2013 / March 27, 2014
Med's Request
March 4, 2014
Med's Done....
March 14, 2014
Interview........
IN
Passport Req..
GOD'S
VISA ISSUED...
PERFECT
LANDED..........
TIME! <3
micmic said:
Hello!

I was planning to take MAcc at York, but if it's true na kailangan may master's na dito before applying sa master's doon, then I just found the perfect way to spend my first year after graduation. Thanks to this thread!

micmic

Star Member
Sep 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 4, 2015
Med's Request
April 6, 2015
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
Praying for it!
Hi Mangosix! My suggestion is to ask York first. While they seem to be very strict on the matter, there are programs that said I'm qualified even without an existing masters degree. For example, the people from Sustainable energy/Environmental Science said that I qualify but will undergo the non-standard application path. The guys from Sociology and those from disabilities studies program both said that I need to have a masters prior to getting considered for their program. As you can see, I have a very diverse set of interests so I'm ok with taking any ;D As for taking a postgrad and then hoping to get an advanced placement int their master's program, just make sure that the college you go to has a declared relationship with the university you target :) Price-wise, other provinces seem to offer masters program at a more affordable cost.

wondergirl1992

Sep 26, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
9-26-14
Med's Request
9-29-14
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
10-15-14
VISA ISSUED...
10-23-25
LANDED..........
soon...
I still do not have news regarding my sp application. My meds were not yet transmitted sa embassy, so im really stressed n rin :( anyone who got their approval for january intake?

Sep 8, 2014
@MICMIC – Hi!! Ngayon lang ulit ako nakapag-check, been busy. Hindi ganon ka-hard yung IELTS, kinabahan lang ako sa speaking portion, and I admit I’ve been interviewed so many times before by upper management people (whenever I look for a job), and nakakayanan ko naman yun, even with 2-3 people in front of me. With the IELTS though, I think kinabahan lang ako ng sobra because he was pokerface the whole time, lifeless eyes, and he didn’t wanna shake my hand (which I did anyway lol awkward). Ngayon lang ako kinabahan in such a long time. I don’t mean to scare you, basta #1 tip is wag kabahan. The speaking part kasi is designed in such a way na hindi mo ma-rerehearse yung answers mo. There’s a clearbook with a different question per page, he just turns to the next page for the next applicant.

Random questions ranging from simple to complex topics. The interviewer will try to make you super nervous, wag ka lang magpadala kahit poker face na sila. Don't be too relaxed (meaning bad, rehearsed answers) din if the person interviewing you is too friendly and bubbly.

I found the reading section din a bit difficult too but the passages were a bit long (I have a short attention span) and technical. Skim lang, don't read. Read thoroughly lang once you think you have enough time.

Sep 8, 2014
On the Canada Study Fair in Fairmont

This forum, canadavisa, has provided more information about what was talked about in the fair, actually. If you want to hear success stories and firsthand experiences with detailed processes, this forum is where you should go. The Canadian Embassy was the one who organized the fair, so they can’t just tell you what gets you to Canada and what gets you declined.

During the question and answer portion, some people asked about their individual cases, especially about them getting declined. The rep from the embassy tried her best to answer the questions but it was very apparent that she was about to lose her cool about 5 minutes into Q&A. I have to admit, some of the people who were asking questions did not seem to listen during the presentation, so they came across as hindi nakikinig and pasaway. I was kinda irritated din because some of the parents who asked questions ay nahihirapan mag-English, but the ushers (the ones wearing red shirts) were not helpful at all. I hate it pa naman when people make fun of others who try to speak English but sounds barok or hindi na-gets kung ano yung sinasabi nila kasi nga they’re having a hard time expressing themselves in English. The people in red shirts just stood there with fake smiles plastered on their faces. There were times na 1 of these red shirt people kept talking in tagalog using the mic; pinapagalitan nya kasi yung mga tao about some things lol.

Anyway, it was a bit tense and clumsy. The best part I guess, is when we were able to get brochures from different schools and talk to their reps.

On taking a business course

Humdrumdum is right, Canada has a big supply of business graduates, so it’s hard to get a good corporate job. You have to be established, meron kang good network, and good qualifications. If these Canadian business grads would actually migrate here in the PH, they will find a job in 1-2 months. In their own country, it will take 3-4 months. Think of it this way: In here, big fish in a small pond sila. In Canada, they’re small fishes in the ocean.

A lot of people take Psychology, but the other specific Healthcare courses, not a lot of people take them – the reason why the government looks for resources outside the country. Cheaper labor too.

micmic

Star Member
Sep 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 4, 2015
Med's Request
April 6, 2015
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
Praying for it!
Hey gimikera! Thanks for the tips! :) Too bad we weren't able to meet in person! :(

You're right, while they seem polite and smiling all the time, some of them weren't that knowledgeable regarding procedures when I asked them about certain concerns. I would still consider the wealth of information here more reliable as these are first hand experiences of people :)

With regards to taking business courses, it's true that they already have a pool of local graduates for that which is why I tend to look for more specialized fields. It's the explaining portion as to why you chose to switch career that gives complications to applicants I guess ;D I still haven't locked on a particular program yet. I SHOULD a week after I finished the IELTS ;D

Wish me luck friends!

AnSci

Aug 26, 2014
Hi. This is for those who are already in Canada on TRV/Study Permit. Otherwise any reliable information will be appreciated.

Will the Philippine or Canadian immigration ask for a return trip ticket? My duration of study is 3 years. Thanks

wondergirl1992

Sep 26, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
9-26-14
Med's Request
9-29-14
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
10-15-14
VISA ISSUED...
10-23-25
LANDED..........
soon...
AnSci said:
Hi. This is for those who are already in Canada on TRV/Study Permit. Otherwise any reliable information will be appreciated.

Will the Philippine or Canadian immigration ask for a return trip ticket? My duration of study is 3 years. Thanks
No, because nobody knows the exact date your program will end.
:) you only need to give them a reasonable assurance that you will go back to the philippines after you study, like strong ties to your home country (e.g. land properties, employment cert., family ties etc) :)

I am not yet in Canada but I read a lot regarding this topic.

sweetnovember14

Aug 26, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wondergirl1992 said:
No, because nobody knows the exact date your program will end.
:) you only need to give them a reasonable assurance that you will go back to the philippines after you study, like strong ties to your home country (e.g. land properties, employment cert., family ties etc) :)

I am not yet in Canada but I read a lot regarding this topic.
Hello everyone. I want to ask as well, do you need to sent a flight reservation along with your student permit application? thanks :)