+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anybody living in BC - Please suggest

smk_ujs

Star Member
Jul 4, 2015
So I don't understand this...

they say on their website that a premium of 0$ is charges if the income is in the lowest bracket.

At the same time they mention some thing about premium assistance.

So does this mean that on a 0$ income for a new immigrant and after having fulfilled the waiting period, there is no need to pay premium or does this mean that you have to apply for premium assistance?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
New immigrants will not receive premium assistance, as a person must reside in BC for at least a year in order to qualify.

You will be required to pay premiums for your first year in BC. After that year, if your income is low enough, you could apply for premium assistance.

smk_ujs

Star Member
Jul 4, 2015
yes okay sure

I am ready to pay premium but how will my premium be calculated if I dont have canadian income as a new immigrant?

how will they know which bracket I am

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
smk_ujs said:
I am ready to pay premium but how will my premium be calculated if I dont have canadian income as a new immigrant?

how will they know which bracket I am
Seriously, you need to actually research this yourself on the MSP website.

Your premium doesn't need to be calculated. The different brackets are only for those who qualify for Premium Assistance. Everyone else, including you, pays full premiums.

smk_ujs

Star Member
Jul 4, 2015
Oh, is that right? That probably makes more sense. that every body else who doesnt qualify for premium assistance pays full premium,

but according to this website, http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/health-drug-coverage/msp/bc-residents/premiums
the monthly premium rate mentioned is shown to be dependant on the income earned (table)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
It's only dependent on income for those who qualify for Premium Assistance.