+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any students attending Uni of Regina?`

fahad83

Oct 12, 2010
Im reviving this topic again, and the question is same, anyone else from pakistan applying in University of Regina.

tzmarri

Star Member
Mar 5, 2011
Hey guys,
My name is Tanzeel Marri. I have applied to the Canadian Embassy in Islamabad on 25th Feb.. I have still not received a request to undergo Medical.. Can any1 guide me regarding the processing times in Pakistan.. I have been accepted at the University of Regina for the BASc program of Petroleum Systems Engineering.. I have got my dad's bank statement of around CAD$40000 and deposited $10000 in my own bank account.. The annual tuition is $13560 and living costs around $10000 per year.. i feel My case is strong..
Whether i should send an e-mail to the CHC regarding the status of my application or wait ? As I want to join in the May semester.. Help me out guys?

abelkwh

Jul 30, 2009
U may do it but whether they expediate yr application is a very subjective matter. Since u have already submitted all yr docs to the office, the only thing u can do it actually just wait for the visa to be approved.

Furthermore, there is no need for u to rush as May term starts with spring summer classes, there are actually not too many courses for u to take in Spring Summer session here, even if u enter U of R in summer, u do not need to be in such a rush, even if u do not get yr visa ready for the May intake. Most of the courses would be available in Fall and Winter session. So do not be disheartened even if u are delayed in yr visa processing and u only get yr visa for Fall session (Sept intake).

tzmarri

Star Member
Mar 5, 2011
thank u abelkwh.. I really appreciate ur guidance.. In which program r u enrolled at the UofR? Do let me knw abt ur experiences at d Uni.. I have been accepted for the BASc program of Petroleum System Engineering. I hve heard abt d Co-op education program as well.. The petroleum Industry in Saskatchewan and Alberta is booming.. I will also apply for a work permit after six months.. But plz pray tht I get my Visa first.. Do keep in touch..

abelkwh

Jul 30, 2009
The PSE program is pretty good here but be ready to graduate in 4.5 to 5 yrs minimum time frame. The co-op program is good bu that will take u min of 5 to 6 yrs to graduate. The Uni of R is pretty small actually in terms of campus size and student population but the Engineering program is really good and it is accreditated by the Engineering board of Canada, so after u graduate, u will be able to qualify for the Engineering In Training (EIT) and be an engineer in training and qualify as an engineer in Canada after yr EIT. Petroleum engineering a an excellent career in North America, so its a good choice u have made but be prepared for the funds required for the period of studies and also the time.

tzmarri

Star Member
Mar 5, 2011
Thank u abelkwh for the encouragement.. I am really excited to join the UofR community.. What program r u doing there? Plz do keep in touch.. Give me ur e-mail Id and time so tht v can chat, or skype if possible.. I really have a passion to do something in Petroleum Engineering and I am exceedingly interested in the Petroleum Industry of North America.. I have already completed my first year of studies here in Pakistan and have applied for transfer of credits at the UofR.. I am a position holder here in my 1st n 2nd semester of studies.. And yes my father is ready to pay as much as $50K to $60K for my undergraduate studies.. I will also try to secure a work permit by Next year for the part time job and also the Co-Op program.. Do guide me further abt ur experiences at the UofR..

Bdw whts ur real name? n hope to c u soon :)

tzmarri

Star Member
Mar 5, 2011
Also do tell me the population ratio of the international students there? specially Pakistani and Asian students? Also do tell me abt the City of Regina..

abelkwh

Jul 30, 2009
The U of R has quite a lot of foreign students in the engineering department, especially the PSE program, most of the PSE students are from East Asian countries and also Africa, such as Nigeria and African countries. These students are sponsored by their government though.

U of R has some Indian and Pakistan students, how many exactly, i really dont know and u can get these information from the International students office. How many credits u can transfer from yr current program is a BIG question mark cause only the basic courses such as math and perhaps some other courses may be transferable. So dont expect too much from the transfers.

tzmarri

Star Member
Mar 5, 2011
Thanks fr tht info abelkwh.. The transfer of credits issue will be a problem I guess.. I have given all the basic courses in my first year of studies like Fundamentals of Petroleum Engineering, Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Geology, Thermidynamics, Petrophysics and Fluid Mechanics. I will hopefully get the transfer of credits as my PGPA here is well above 80%. But still If I dont, I'll do the courses offered there from the beginning.. I am more interested in acquiring quality education and worthful knowledge rather than saving time or money or worrying abt my transfer of credits.. But still lets hope for the best tht I get transfer of credits for all my courses taken here, But I am also aware of the fact tht some courses do not match those being taught in Canada.. But First things first, I just want my Visa rt now..

abelkwh

Jul 30, 2009
I can only say that for yr transfer credits, yr physics, chemistry and math courses may be transferable, as for Geology, and others, it will likely be rejected for transfers. It is not a matter of how high yr GPA is for yr courses, its more of the whether they are of equal standard and equal contents taught at the Uni of Regina, u can get 100% for all courses and u will still not get 100% of the courses transferred.

I have found out for u that the number of Pakistan students here in UR range about 50 students. so u do have a small community of Pakistan students here for u to share accommodations with if u can find them.

tzmarri

Star Member
Mar 5, 2011
Thank u so much abelkwh for your timely guidance and help.. Actually I completely agree with the fact that I may not get the transfer of credits except for the basic subjects taught in Engineering.. There is a lot difference in the subject matter and the standard of education system between Pakistan and Canada.. But then I am willing to do the these subjects/courses again from the beginning IF I dont get the transfer of credits.. I knw tht my grades will not qualify me for getting the Transfer of Credits.. It is all on the PSE faculty to decide my case..
And yes thanks if u have found the statistics tht around 50 students from Pakistan are there at the UR campus.. I have already applied for the on campus accomodation at the "College West" and "New Residences". Lets see where the University Accomodation authorities adjust me.. Plz do pray tht I get my Visa.. I am really grateful to u fr all ur support and guidance.. Hope to c u soon.. Do keep in touch..

hasankhan8

Apr 9, 2011
Karachi, Pak.
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Has anyone been accepted or attending UR for the graduate/Master program (especially Engineering)? If yes, what were your grades and uni experience?

zippy

Star Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visa Office......
cic islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yep am applying for the study visa on the acceptance letter of u or Regina in masters of electrical engineering.my grades were CGPA 3.34(78%) .i studies all courses in English so just only attached proof for it. but later i had a bit free time so did my ielts as well with 7 band,but i got my admission before that.if you need any other info feel free to ask

regards
awais islam

imrankh85

Star Member
Mar 24, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney NovaScotia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 26 2014
AOR Received.
Awaiting
i have been admitted in industrial engineering but i ll be joining uni of alberta in mechanical