+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any problems getting RAQM card after getting PR?

veronica_n

Star Member
Jun 19, 2020
Hey have anyone else gotten their PR approved to federal CEC and stay or moved to Quebec?

I just had a long 25 min call with the RAMQ service to get 0 information and they just put me on hold for the 3er time and hang up without helping me, it sounded like they were running in circles not knowing what to say. They asked so many questions about when did I arrive and how did I get the PR. It should be really simple I'm a Permanent residence and I want to apply :rolleyes:...

Have you guys heard about a similar case? @legalfalcon @caipsnotes

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Hey have anyone else gotten their PR approved to federal CEC and stay or moved to Quebec?

I just had a long 25 min call with the RAMQ service to get 0 information and they just put me on hold for the 3er time and hang up without helping me, it sounded like they were running in circles not knowing what to say. They asked so many questions about when did I arrive and how did I get the PR. It should be really simple I'm a Permanent residence and I want to apply :rolleyes:...

Have you guys heard about a similar case? @legalfalcon
If you are a PR, then as as per the Constitution you can settle in any part of Canada, including Quebec and get a RAMQ card.

However, you have to relocate to Quebec after your became a PR and not before. As per Immigration and Refugee Protection Act you cannot intend to settle in QC unless you are nominated by QC.

However, after your become a PR under FSW or CEC, you can move to any part of Canada and avail the Provincial Health Coverage. So instead of inquiring where you are eligible, ask how can you apply.

See https://www.ramq.gouv.qc.ca/en/citizens/health-insurance/register

Also see https://bit.ly/3smyQpw to read on your mobility rights under the Constitution.

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......

If you're a lawful PR then you are eligible provided you have an address in QC. Meaning you should be living there., that's it.

veronica_n

Star Member
Jun 19, 2020
If you are a PR, then as as per the Constitution you can settle in any part of Canada, including Quebec and get a RAMQ card.

However, you have to relocate to Quebec after your became a PR and not before. As per Immigration and Refugee Protection Act you cannot intend to settle in QC unless you are nominated by QC.

However, after your become a PR under FSW or CEC, you can move to any part of Canada and avail the Provincial Health Coverage. So instead of inquiring where you are eligible, ask how can you apply.
I’m already living in Quebec. We move here from Ottawa a year ago so my husband could study at McGill, and we got invited to apply earlier than we thought thanks to Covid. They approved our application and I got CoPR yesterday.

I will try calling again tomorrow, the registration is not being offered in person at the moment, maybe I’ll get a better agent. She make me so many questions that I started to doubt everything I’ve read about being able to live in Quebec after getting PR.

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
I’m already living in Quebec. We move here from Ottawa a year ago so my husband could study at McGill, and we got invited to apply earlier than we thought thanks to Covid. They approved our application and I got CoPR yesterday.

I will try calling again tomorrow, the registration is not being offered in person at the moment, maybe I’ll get a better agent. She make me so many questions that I started to doubt everything I’ve read about being able to live in Quebec after getting PR.
Mandatory documents, depending on your situation:

Original of your permanent resident card or original of any other document issued by the Canadian immigration authorities confirming your permanent resident status in Canada
Original of a proof of Canadian citizenship (valid Canadian passport, birth certificate, copy of an act of birth or certificate of Canadian citizenship)

<--- that's all you need.

Reactions: caipsnotes

caipsnotes

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2020
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY

Hi thanks for reaching out. See that @Wolfpmd3 responded.

veronica_n

Star Member
Jun 19, 2020
I called again, the person on the phone said they'll send forms for us to fill out, and that they need an authorization form for them to call CIC to justified I don't have a CSQ. That doesn't seem ok to be, will that get me in trouble? @legalfalcon @caipsnotes @Wolfpmd3

Last edited:

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
I called again, the person on the phone said they'll send forms for us to fill out, and that they need an authorization form for them to call CIC to justified I don't have a CSQ. That doesn't seem ok to be, will that get me in trouble? @legalfalcon @caipsnotes @Wolfpmd3
You have just made thing more confusing for yourself by asking unnecessary questions. As a PR, you can get provincial health care in any province as you have mobility rights.

Not with all the paper work you will have to show when you moved to QC, before to after PR and other things.

Instead if the RAMQ offices are open, just walk in with your PR card and proof of residence and your health card will be processed.

veronica_n

Star Member
Jun 19, 2020
You have just made thing more confusing for yourself by asking unnecessary questions. As a PR, you can get provincial health care in any province as you have mobility rights.

Not with all the paper work you will have to show when you moved to QC, before to after PR and other things.

Instead if the RAMQ offices are open, just walk in with your PR card and proof of residence and your health card will be processed.
Thanks for you advise. I didn’t asked questions. I said I wanted to register for my RAMQ card and they asked about my csq and I don’t have it, because I applied thru CEC.

I guess I’ll wait for my PR card and try going in person.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Thanks for you advise. I didn’t asked questions. I said I wanted to register for my RAMQ card and they asked about my csq and I don’t have it, because I applied thru CEC.

I guess I’ll wait for my PR card and try going in person.
I went though this process. I was FSW, moved to Montreal after I moved to Canada, and then went to the RAMQ office with the documents. No CSQ or other questions asked.

You do not have to wait for a PR card, you can show your COPR, and that will work too.

veronica_n

Star Member
Jun 19, 2020
I went though this process. I was FSW, moved to Montreal after I moved to Canada, and then went to the RAMQ office with the documents. No CSQ or other questions asked.

You do not have to wait for a PR card, you can show your COPR, and that will work too.
All the offices are closed, I received the forms the guys mentioned on the phone but he misspelled my last name. I'll just wait for the offices to open.

On another subject, are you a citizen now? Did you have any issues for living in Mtl while been PR?

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
All the offices are closed, I received the forms the guys mentioned on the phone but he misspelled my last name. I'll just wait for the offices to open.

On another subject, are you a citizen now? Did you have any issues for living in Mtl while been PR?

Had zero issues living in Mtl. As a PR, once admitted, you can live anywhere in Canada, unless you are a PNP nominated.

Moving within Canada is your right guaranteed under the Canadian Constitution.

section 6 of the Charter states:

6. (1) Every citizen of Canada has the right to enter, remain in and leave Canada.

(2) Every citizen of Canada and every person who has the status of a permanent resident of Canada has the right:
  1. to move to and take up residence in any province; and
  2. to pursue the gaining of a livelihood in any province.
(3) The rights specified in section (2) are subject to:
  1. any laws or practices of general application in force in a province other than those that discriminate among persons primarily on the basis of province of present or previous residence; and
  2. any laws providing for reasonable residency requirements as a qualification for the receipt of publicly provided social services.
(4) Sections (2) and (3) do not preclude any law, program or activity that has as its object the amelioration in a province of conditions of individuals in that province who are socially or economically disadvantaged if the rate of employment in that province is below the rate of employment in Canada.

gkgr83

Aug 2, 2020
Hi @veronica_n I received a document requesting the same authorization form (IMM 5475) for the RAMQ. Did you end up sending it? Did everything go well?

gkgr83

Aug 2, 2020
did you get your card in the end? they insisted on having your CSQ? or a proof of residency was enough? @veronica_n @gkgr83
No proof of residency. They asked for PR card, declaration when I left and when I came back to Quebec and signed form IMM 5475. It’s been more than 4 months now and still nothing. I called them and they said they are still processing my request. I think they actually check with Immigration. I’ll keep you posted!