+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any Oath after taking online test from outside Canada.

VijayReddyTirupari

Star Member
May 11, 2013
Vancouver
Visa Office......
Nova Scotia
App. Filed.......
20/11/2016
Doc's Request.
26/11/2016
Nomination.....
20/12/2016
AOR Received.
15/03/2017
Med's Request
Upfront on 27/03/2017
Med's Done....
Medicals passed 25/05/2017
LANDED..........
InLand.
I tried searching but haven't seen any post about taking Oath after test outside Canada.
If any one received Oath ceremony invite please share
- how long after going back to Canada did you receive the invite.
- Are they any chances of receiving Oath invite if you still outside?
- Is you process suspended still your back in Canada?

PS: I'm aware that one cannot take Oath outside Canada and I don't want anyone discussing that here.

Thank you all

illiterate_professor

Sep 1, 2021
I am curious to find this out myself. It'd be a shame if they just go ahead and "suspend" your citizenship processing simply because you're outside Canada, and esp. since they say so themselves that you are allowed to leave after applying for citizenship. But to say that it will come as a total shock and surprise would be lying. So let's see.

Is your application already Decision Made? Said another way, are language, physical presence, etc. all completed except for Oath? If so, how long ago was that?

VijayReddyTirupari

Star Member
May 11, 2013
Vancouver
Visa Office......
Nova Scotia
App. Filed.......
20/11/2016
Doc's Request.
26/11/2016
Nomination.....
20/12/2016
AOR Received.
15/03/2017
Med's Request
Upfront on 27/03/2017
Med's Done....
Medicals passed 25/05/2017
LANDED..........
InLand.
I am curious to find this out myself. It'd be a shame if they just go ahead and "suspend" your citizenship processing simply because you're outside Canada, and esp. since they say so themselves that you are allowed to leave after applying for citizenship. But to say that it will come as a total shock and surprise would be lying. So let's see.

Is your application already Decision Made? Said another way, are language, physical presence, etc. all completed except for Oath? If so, how long ago was that?
May be I have used wrong word " suspend " here, It could be more like pause and you'll be scheduled for Oath only after you back in Canada, something like that.

Myself, I'm scheduled to take online test this week from outside Canada. And I'm planning come back to Canada depending up on Oath timeline (if this timeless is different for people who toke test outside Canada)

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
In part this is a bump. This is a request that those who took the test online while outside Canada post updates about their case here.

Discussions about online tests, online oath, impact of being outside Canada generally, for the test, after the test, and so on, are scattered throughout multiple threads.

For anyone who is watching for news that will illuminate more about the impact of being outside Canada after applying, which is represented most by applicants who have taken the test online while outside Canada, reports about progress or the lack of progress in their cases is key information.

In some of the discussions it is recognized that the fact the applicant is outside Canada at the time of the online test is specifically noted in the citizenship application file (in GCMS). In a few discussions such applicants are reporting communications with IRCC that clearly indicate IRCC is tracking the location of such applicants, and specifically requesting some applicants to update their information with IRCC regarding their return to Canada.

The evidence is building that at the least IRCC is specially designating applicants who are abroad. It is still uncertain what impact this has. But no genius necessary to infer this has some impact.

Some hint that further processing is suspended or on "hold" until the applicant is known to be back in Canada. But this is not for sure. Moreover, the procedural provisions of the Citizenship Act provide for a "hold" on processing only in specific circumstances, and the fact the applicant is abroad is not among those circumstances. If IRCC is in effect imposing a de facto hold, seems likely that sooner than later this would become the subject of litigation.

BUT IN THE MEANTIME . . . for applicants abroad and those considering whether to go abroad, it would be very helpful to have more information about the impact of being abroad. It is noted in the file. One can easily guess information is noted in the file for a reason. Would be helpful to get some clues as to what that reason is or at least some indication of how this affects processing.

So, again, hopefully those who have taken the test outside Canada will give the forum periodic updates about the status of their applications . . . and in particular, let the forum know if and when they are scheduled to take the oath.

BACKGROUND NOTE:

To what extent residing or working abroad after applying can have a negative impact on how things go tends to be a controversial subject in this forum. Historically going abroad (to live or work) has elevated procedural risks (like the risk of RQ-related non-routine processing) considerably. Suggestions this continues to be the case often trigger adamant denials and sometimes hostile attacks, especially if the rather obvious perceptions about such applicants are articulated to explain in part why the risks are elevated. Part of the difficulty in fairly assessing how being abroad affects processing has been the extent to which many who go abroad after applying avoid disclosing the fact they are residing abroad. So, among the many who appear to smoothly sail through the process despite being abroad, it is not clear to what extent IRCC has been aware the applicant had relocated abroad. In the meantime, there has been a fairly large constituency of forum participants assuring others that living abroad after applying does not appreciably increase procedural risks. In response to which I have occasionally cautioned the likelihood it is otherwise.

Now, however, there is a significant pool of applicants who relocated abroad after applying and who are known to IRCC as having relocated abroad. This is most represented by those who proceeded to take the online test while they are located abroad. If a sufficient number of applicants in this situation keep the forum updated, we should be able to track if there is a significant impact on how things go for them compared to other applicants still in Canada (or appearing to still be in Canada) who took the online test.

Key uses for such information:
-- helping applicants who are abroad decide whether or when to return to Canada, or if it will be prudent to obtain legal representation to push IRCC to advance their application​
-- helping applicants and prospective applicants who are considering relocating abroad weigh factors and priorities in making the decision about whether to go abroad or when​

So, again, hopefully those who have taken the test outside Canada will give the forum periodic updates, in this thread, about the status of their applications . . . and in particular, let the forum know if and when they are scheduled to take the oath.

daveyj

May 11, 2021
I did my test outside Canada mid July, then interview outside Canada late October. During the interview the officer asked when we'd be back, I told them we weren't sure, and she said they'd put the file on hold for 6 months. However, I've now received the oath invite email earlier than expected, while still outside Canada.

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
I did my test outside Canada mid July, then interview outside Canada late October. During the interview the officer asked when we'd be back, I told them we weren't sure, and she said they'd put the file on hold for 6 months. However, I've now received the oath invite email earlier than expected, while still outside Canada.
They know we can always reschedule so being outside shouldn't be a reason for them to postpone our application.

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
I tried searching but haven't seen any post about taking Oath after test outside Canada.
If any one received Oath ceremony invite please share
- how long after going back to Canada did you receive the invite.
- Are they any chances of receiving Oath invite if you still outside?
- Is you process suspended still your back in Canada?

PS: I'm aware that one cannot take Oath outside Canada and I don't want anyone discussing that here.

Thank you all
One person did oath outside Canada: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/outside-canada-oath-of-citizenship.743962/post-9919622

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
So will you be able to take the oath outside or are you planning to return to Canada? Does you invite mention anything about being in Canada for oath?

daveyj

May 11, 2021
So will you be able to take the oath outside or are you planning to return to Canada? Does you invite mention anything about being in Canada for oath?
The invitation says nothing about us being outside Canada. Our oath date is 10 days from the date we got the email notification, so I won't be able to arrange to return in time. I emailed asking to take it from outside Canada, so far I've only received the auto-response, which includes a line stating you must be within Canada to take the oath.

Reactions: Dreamlad

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
The invitation says nothing about us being outside Canada. Our oath date is 10 days from the date we got the email notification, so I won't be able to arrange to return in time. I emailed asking to take it from outside Canada, so far I've only received the auto-response, which includes a line stating you must be within Canada to take the oath.
Let us know if they approve your request or not and for what reason.

acs123

Oct 17, 2017
Hi,
I am Jan 2021 Applicant ( paper based). I took my test on Aug 5,2021 outside Canada. Got DM on Oct 4,2021. Came to Canada Mid - November. I did not update IRCC about anything. I got my oath notification on 11 Feb, 2022. Will be taking oath on 23rd Feb,2022. Let me know if you have questions

Reactions: baimmeb

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Please do update when you hear from IRCC.

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
Did IRCC reply?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Still waiting on more reports. As I occasionally note here and there, the jury is still out on how residing outside Canada after applying can (not necessarily will, but how it might) influence and affect how things go.

In the meantime, in another topic @Dalboy1980 posted (March 21) an extensive and excellent report which illustrates, at the least, that notwithstanding residing outside Canada or otherwise remaining abroad for an extended period of time, and taking the knowledge of Canada test online from abroad, does not necessarily result in a serious problem beyond some logistical hurdles. I have also commented on this in the topic where it was posted.

This is just one case (well, it involves two applicants), so it only illustrates how things can go, how they MIGHT go, nowhere near sufficient to show how things will go . . . not for most applicants who took the test abroad let alone how they will definitely go. It is useful information and shows it can go OK. That said, unless and until there are more success stories, for those abroad and who took the knowledge of Canada test while abroad, there remains a substantial risk, for at least a significant number of applicant in this circumstance, that remaining abroad might result in extra-ordinary delays (delays longer than others are experiencing), difficult procedural hurdles, potential non-routine processing, and related problems.

That report:

I didn't want to reply to a specific post so I thought I'd just send one in general (and by no means I'm an expert but basing it on my own experience and based on what I've read).

Look in an ideal world, yes you will be in Canada, take the test there....take the interview there (if required) and finally the Oath....oh and then apply for the passport.

Myself I was outside of Canada when asked to take the test, originally (before it was allowed), I informed them back in April 2021 that I was outside of the country and I was told to let them know when I returned and that they could hold my application on hold for a maximum of 6 months before it would essentially be returned back to myself.

In June/July (I believe) of 2021 the rules relaxed and applicants were able to take the test outside of Canada, so my wife was able to do that by replying straight back to the email and also I then sent them an email directly, to my surprise they replied and allowed me to do it....usually with their track record they take their time in replying to any query.

So we were both successful in taking out tests outside of Canada in July 2021 and passed the tests, after that we were expecting the lottery of interviews.

The request for interviews did not come, quite possibly because our application was straight forward (not sure what constitutes as being straight forward but UK born, provided passports copies with initial application, degree certs, ties to Canada i.e. mortgage and home docs etc).

However I was asked for a 2nd set of FPrints in Nov which I sent from the UK to an agency in Vancouver who digitally sorted them for me and forwarded then to the RCMP who then forwarded them on to IRCC.

I then took me a few emails to confirm that IRCC had received them as RCMP were not replying and neither were IRCC (initially), they confirmed receipt via an email in December.

Every status was then changed in early Jan and a request was made to attend an Oath in Mid-Feb, which meant flying in from the UK.

Citizenship certs have been received but a passport application will be done from the UK, which is where I am currently back in, now yes I will be moving back to Canada but unsure as to exact date....could be summer or xmas of this year.

Going back to the original question, look tests can be done....interviews have been shown more recently in a handful of replies that they're also possible but yes the Oath is strictly on Canadian soil....again barring one post I've seen here.

Ultimately each case is different and we come here for that re-assurance I guess or the clarity that we require, especially when some of us are abroad for whatever reason that we may be, so take it as it comes, if you're outside then yes currently tests allowed, interviews yes (but again you'll need a good reason I assume as to why)...Oaths....as far as I know 99.9% 'not allowed.'

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
I did the same as you but my reason is medical.