+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any new students travelled or travelling, who's visa was approved before 18th March.

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
A friend was told about not traveling to Canada by CBSA if classes are online. I recommend the ones who have Booked their tickets to confirm it themselves by calling CBSA. This applies to first time fliers. Verify it again if anyone needs to and reply back if some other info is received.

But that doesn't make sense for a whole lot of reasons -

1. There's nothing on the IRCC website related to travel restrictions that says anything like that.

2. And there's no point in denying entry to people who have online classes as ALL students in Canada are having ONLY online courses predominantly for the Fall.

If online courses is the issue, then they must either put that up on that website / deny entry to ALL students for the fall term.

By that metric, it doesn't make sense for current international students to be there in Canada now, as even their courses are online.

3. IRCC is actually saying that PGWP won't get affected if we do online courses due to Covid. If pgwp is not going to be affected, then how will entry be a problem only because our courses are online? In fact, even schools in some provinces are shifting to a part-online system for the fall.

4. They have actually allowed exempted people with the permit obtained before 18 March & proper isolation plan to actually enter the country.

The IRCC website, which from all that I've seen till now is not frivolous & they actually implement what they put up, - shows rule of law with the many modifications & adjustments that they're doing so that students' studies are not affected due to Covid.

5. Why include a group of students with permit / LOI obtained before March 18th at all, if they're going to be denied entry on the basis of online courses? When all courses across universities n the country are anyway being held online?

And what's the point of having EXEMPTIONS to the restrictions if they're denying based on Omline courses?

I go by the IRCC website - if it says anything regarding denial ONLY DUE TO online courses, then we need to see.

The issue for international students is to get operational flights, if they're otherwise eligible as per the website, there's no reason for CBSA to deny entry. This is if we strictly go by the website.

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
A friend was told about not traveling to Canada by CBSA if classes are online. I recommend the ones who have Booked their tickets to confirm it themselves by calling CBSA. This applies to first time fliers. Verify it again if anyone needs to and reply back if some other info is received.

And we can't call CBSA / IRCC from outside Canada right? That's only for those within Canada that the phone system works.

And even if we email them, CBSA is only replying with the standard message that was posted in this thread some posts before.

That message contains no specific information regarding online courses / 1st time travellers.

Even if their rules have changed, then why are they including that part about those "who received approval for study permit". They can simply write only "current study permit holders", right?

Dafaqisgoingon

Star Member
Jun 12, 2020
But that doesn't make sense for a whole lot of reasons -

1. There's nothing on the IRCC website related to travel restrictions that says anything like that.

2. And there's no point in denying entry to people who have online classes as ALL students in Canada are having ONLY online courses predominantly for the Fall.

If online courses is the issue, then they must either put that up on that website / deny entry to ALL students for the fall term.

By that metric, it doesn't make sense for current international students to be there in Canada now, as even their courses are online.

3. IRCC is actually saying that PGWP won't get affected if we do online courses due to Covid. If pgwp is not going to be affected, then how will entry be a problem only because our courses are online? In fact, even schools in some provinces are shifting to a part-online system for the fall.

4. They have actually allowed exempted people with the permit obtained before 18 March & proper isolation plan to actually enter the country.

The IRCC website, which from all that I've seen till now is not frivolous & they actually implement what they put up, - shows rule of law with the many modifications & adjustments that they're doing so that students' studies are not affected due to Covid.

5. Why include a group of students with permit / LOI obtained before March 18th at all, if they're going to be denied entry on the basis of online courses? When all courses across universities n the country are anyway being held online?

And what's the point of having EXEMPTIONS to the restrictions if they're denying based on Omline courses?

I go by the IRCC website - if it says anything regarding denial ONLY DUE TO online courses, then we need to see.

The issue for international students is to get operational flights, if they're otherwise eligible as per the website, there's no reason for CBSA to deny entry. This is if we strictly go by the website.
Agreed, it doesn't make sense. But i am sharing only what i heard from someone. I don't think its only for canada. Its just a normal call. Plus, you can also contact them. I am also stuck in the limbo as well. They just label your travel as non essential. You can try calling and confirm for yourself. And share it here as well.

Reactions: GradStudent18

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
Agreed, it doesn't make sense. But i am sharing only what i heard from someone. I don't think its only for canada. Its just a normal call. Plus, you can also contact them. I am also stuck in the limbo as well. They just label your travel as non essential. You can try calling and confirm for yourself. And share it here as well.

Oh no no dear friend, please don't mistake me!

I absolutely understand that you are only providing information that you have obtained from CBSA, and in fact, this information is extremely critical for all of us to know what are the different dynamics that may impact our travel. I completely acknowledge that your info is as important as any other critical info at thus time.

Please accept my sincere apologies if my long reply came across as being offensive. My intention was absolutely not to do / say anything like that.

I was just trying, with best efforts, to see if any of the points that we currently know can be used to find a way around this new condition of CBSA. That was all.

And please believe me when I say that I completely trust that information that you've put up - it's not like I want to ask me separately myself. I was just trying to find possibilities to find a way out for out, based on whatever I could think of.

I sincerely believe that all of us are in this together; we have only each other for information and support, and I completely value that opinions and info that you've posted.

I also sincerely hope that we may all soon get out of this confusion, since doing so much for applying further program, then for the permit, finally getting the permit - doing so much till now, I hope that we won't be left hanging without proper guidelines on fall 2020.

Truly hoping for the best, and thank you for posting the updates! They are truly valuable for all of us here!

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
Oh no no dear friend, please don't mistake me!

I absolutely understand that you are only providing information that you have obtained from CBSA, and in fact, this information is extremely critical for all of us to know what are the different dynamics that may impact our travel. I completely acknowledge that your info is as important as any other critical info at thus time.

Please accept my sincere apologies if my long reply came across as being offensive. My intention was absolutely not to do / say anything like that.

I was just trying, with best efforts, to see if any of the points that we currently know can be used to find a way around this new condition of CBSA. That was all.

And please believe me when I say that I completely trust that information that you've put up - it's not like I want to ask me separately myself. I was just trying to find possibilities to find a way out for out, based on whatever I could think of.

I sincerely believe that all of us are in this together; we have only each other for information and support, and I completely value that opinions and info that you've posted.

I also sincerely hope that we may all soon get out of this confusion, since doing so much for applying further program, then for the permit, finally getting the permit - doing so much till now, I hope that we won't be left hanging without proper guidelines on fall 2020.

Truly hoping for the best, and thank you for posting the updates! They are truly valuable for all of us here!

Soooooo many typos in this post - really sorry!!!

I'm typing from a mobile device and auto correct is so bad in this! Sorry....

vhptanh@97

Star Member
Nov 29, 2018
Hi! Actually i am not sure. I just came into contact with them on twitter. One of them is saying that he is cancelling though.
Please update us if possible.

Btw, I have tried to search on Google as well as Twitter, it seems like there are no posts regards intl students are denied entry (not denied boarding of course) to Canada. I'll travel on July 4th, but I hope that I won't be the first one sharing that I was denied entry.

Reactions: GradStudent18

Dafaqisgoingon

Star Member
Jun 12, 2020
Please update us if possible.

Btw, I have tried to search on Google as well as Twitter, it seems like there are no posts regards intl students are denied entry (not denied boarding of course) to Canada. I'll travel on July 4th, but I hope that I won't be the first one sharing that I was denied entry.
Yes, i will. Someone is saying on twitter that his friend based in canada called CBSA and they said students are allowed even first timers and with online classes. He said he will upload the call recording. But again, he hasn't till now. If he does, i will update here.

vhptanh@97

Star Member
Nov 29, 2018
Yes, i will. Someone is saying on twitter that his friend based in canada called CBSA and they said students are allowed even first timers and with online classes. He said he will upload the call recording. But again, he hasn't till now. If he does, i will update here.
Woah that would be so helpful. It would save me from all these stresses. I would also contact my Intl Advisor soon for advice and I'll try calling CBSA again when I'm registered for classes.

Reactions: deni2020

vhptanh@97

Star Member
Nov 29, 2018
But now, I don't know who or what to believe. We all got different answers from CBSA.

Reactions: deni2020

vhptanh@97

Star Member
Nov 29, 2018
Yes. It's really confusing. Atleast you are close by than rest of us in India. Imagine flying across the world and then being denied entry....
I know but I'm on the same boat. My US visa has expired, so if I'm denied entry to Canada, I have to go back to my country (in Asia) but not the U.S. So I'm taking a risk also. Just hope that I would be allowed.

Btw, just checked my Intl Advisor's old email, he said "Outside Canada students can take up to 50 % of their courses until December , 2020. " If I understand it right, intl students have to be in Canada in October or November anw correct even if the courses are online?

Reactions: longvh and deni2020

Dafaqisgoingon

Star Member
Jun 12, 2020
I know but I'm on the same boat. My US visa has expired, so if I'm denied entry to Canada, I have to go back to my country (in Asia) but not the U.S. So I'm taking a risk also. Just hope that I would be allowed.

Btw, just checked my Intl Advisor's old email, he said "Outside Canada students can take up to 50 % of their courses until December , 2020. " If I understand it right, intl students have to be in Canada in October or November anw correct even if the courses are online?
No, its not like that. You can study till Dec 31,2020 upto 50% of your course. It doesn't mean that students will have to be there in Oct.

vhptanh@97

Star Member
Nov 29, 2018
Hey Can you ask this friend again if first time fliers and online classes are allowed? Thanks