+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any new information on the latest announced travel restrictions please post here

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
In the meantime they've increased the fine for not going to those hotels from 3k to 5k, not really a sign that those hotels will soon disappear.

I think some changes will come regarding fully vaccinated people but again, not sure when, but this shows that hotels as a whole are here to stay at least for unvaccinated people.

his*marty

Champion Member
Jul 28, 2020
Category........
FAM
It varies province to province. Manitoba has reached about 70% first dose target and they're now at 11% second dose. They've changed the strategy for 2nd dose. The first dose went in stages based on age. Now they are going based on when you were vaccinated. On Monday, anyone who's had first dose prior to April 8 was eligible to book. As of yesterday, anyone who's had a first dose prior to April 20, can book their second dose. I had my first dose May 20 and I expect I will have my 2nd dose by 2nd week of July at the latest.

Idrissrafd

Aug 12, 2020
In the meantime they've increased the fine for not going to those hotels from 3k to 5k, not really a sign that those hotels will soon disappear.

I think some changes will come regarding fully vaccinated people but again, not sure when, but this shows that hotels as a whole are here to stay at least for unvaccinated people.
I don't know if it's an isolated case, but I noticed that now they're watching people who are performing their quarantine at home, especially from India. Recently, a friend of my wife came from India (don't tell me how, that's a long story lol), after the hotel quarantine, they asked her to quarantine at her house (11 days I guess if it's negative). Guess what ? They sent, twice, two police officers to her house to inquire about her quarantine. And the third time, the police officer was outside the house watching carefully lol

I don't know if it was something common before, apparently they were more lenient few months ago, but I am not sure, it was just my personal impression.

Reactions: armoured

Idrissrafd

Aug 12, 2020

La police en Alberta ne peut toujours pas donner de contravention aux voyageurs internationaux qui refusent de se mettre en quarantaine dans un hôtel désigné, car la province n'a pas adopté la Loi sur les contraventions.
Cette loi donne à la police des pouvoirs supplémentaires pour appliquer la Loi sur la mise en quarantaine et rend l'application immédiate et relativement facile , selon la police de Calgary.

À l'exception de la Saskatchewan et de l'Alberta, toutes les provinces ont adopté la Loi sur les contraventions entre 1996 et 2017, selon le ministère fédéral de la Justice.
https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/1792670/voyageur-alberta-calgary-aeroport-quarantaine

Police of Alberta can't ticket travellers refusing to quarantine because it hasn't adopted federal act, like Saskatchewan.

Another link in English : https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/alberta-quarantine-contraventions-act-international-travel-1.6022781

I think the airport of Alberta shouldn't be receiving international flights, but that's my opinion.

Western Mountain Man

Nov 2, 2018
Canada
I don't know if it's an isolated case, but I noticed that now they're watching people who are performing their quarantine at home, especially from India. Recently, a friend of my wife came from India (don't tell me how, that's a long story lol), after the hotel quarantine, they asked her to quarantine at her house (11 days I guess if it's negative). Guess what ? They sent, twice, two police officers to her house to inquire about her quarantine. And the third time, the police officer was outside the house watching carefully lol

I don't know if it was something common before, apparently they were more lenient few months ago, but I am not sure, it was just my personal impression.
If your friends experience is reliable then my guess is there was some concern regarding the covid variant spreading in the community and/or possibly
some previous past history with that family.

They would have had to complete an in-house online face to face covid test on day 8 through Switch Health without any difficulties.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Wouldn't count on it given many Asian countries are seeing very high levels and new variants. Many countries who have done well so far are getting overwhelmed by infections. Already Peel region in Ontario has increases in community spread of the delta variant. Think Canada needs to open up their economies before opening up the borders and quarantine plans need to actually be verified to make sure they are suitable and quarantining with non-travelers needs to be eliminated.

Reactions: his*marty

MJSPARV

Sep 17, 2020
If your friends experience is reliable then my guess is there was some concern regarding the covid variant spreading in the community and/or possibly
some previous past history with that family.

They would have had to complete an in-house online face to face covid test on day 8 through Switch Health without any difficulties.
I'd believe the police officer visits to be reliable. We're on day 14 of self-isolation in NB after a land entry. The federal government has called multiple times (including wanting to speak with the 1 year old LOL), sent a security guard to talk to us, and there's the Arrive CAN check ins and the day 8 test. The province has sent various peace officers/sheriffs/police every 2-3 days (one day we got police and sheriff in the same day and the second guy to come told us that "it's kinda embarrassing because we're all in one department and we still end up double visiting people"), calls every single day (and won't stop calling until you pick up) and has a day 5 and day 10 test. Haven't seen anyone watching the house but who knows.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Peel region continues to be a big concern and so do the new very contagious variants. Unfortunately many are not quarantining correctly so it is good that they are verifying. Is she quarantining in a basement alone or are people still allowed to quarantine with their non-travelling family members. Some are quarantining i the next bedroom and with these very contagious variants that can easily lead to infections. The public health directions for quarantine are very lax and also contradict themselves. Actually just looked and they have finally updated the instructions and things like sharing a bathroom is no longer ok. Unfortunately people feel like everyone quarantining for 14 days versus is an option when it isn't.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/publications/diseases-conditions/2019-novel-coronavirus-information-sheet.html

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I'd believe the police officer visits to be reliable. We're on day 14 of self-isolation in NB after a land entry. The federal government has called multiple times (including wanting to speak with the 1 year old LOL), sent a security guard to talk to us, and there's the Arrive CAN check ins and the day 8 test. The province has sent various peace officers/sheriffs/police every 2-3 days (one day we got police and sheriff in the same day and the second guy to come told us that "it's kinda embarrassing because we're all in one department and we still end up double visiting people"), calls every single day (and won't stop calling until you pick up) and has a day 5 and day 10 test. Haven't seen anyone watching the house but who knows.
Are they checking whether you are quarantining with non-travelers? I know that rule has been in place in NS for a long time after the medical officer of health of NS discovered that it was happeneing.

MJSPARV

Sep 17, 2020
Are they checking whether you are quarantining with non-travelers? I know that rule has been in place in NS for a long time after the medical officer of health of NS discovered that it was happeneing.
We have had to state several times to both the federal and provincial people we're not with anyone who didn't travel with us.

Reactions: YVR123 and shipping

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
NS is not NB. The poster said NB.

Mjg0503

Star Member
Mar 20, 2019

Wow. Sounds like something Trump would do: double down on his anti-science policy to save face after his own experts release a report saying it's not working.

Reactions: his*marty

Mjg0503

Star Member
Mar 20, 2019
Wouldn't count on it given many Asian countries are seeing very high levels and new variants. Many countries who have done well so far are getting overwhelmed by infections. Already Peel region in Ontario has increases in community spread of the delta variant. Think Canada needs to open up their economies before opening up the borders and quarantine plans need to actually be verified to make sure they are suitable and quarantining with non-travelers needs to be eliminated.
Should have been more clear I was talking about the land border with the US specifically, and the hotel quarantine policy specifically. Of course, it is to be expected that home quarantine will be required for those who are unvaccinated for the foreseeable future.