+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any new information on the latest announced travel restrictions please post here

mahtax

Star Member
Dec 26, 2019
The idea that the cost doesn't deter travel is absurd - comments everywhere show that's not true. (And when we see claims that people are 'forced' to travel for personal reasons - well, it's funny how these essential reasons become less essential when it costs more money and time).
Personally, the measures did not deter my travel, since my travel was unavoidable. It did, however, compel me to skip the quarantine altogether through availing myself of section 6h of the orders in council. I was originally planning to self-quarantine for the whole 2 weeks in an airbnb, it would have been a nice vacation before starting my new job. But a 2000$ pricetag? No way. Have fun with that.

In order to use section 6h to avoid the quarantine, you need to report to work within the first two weeks of your stay in Canada. So, I fly in on a Friday, and on Monday I'm at work at the hospital. The border agent did helpfully point this out to me, to make sure I would be able to skip the hotel. Then I got a little sticker on my passport, and was waived through testing, waived through security, and off I went in an Uber to my airbnb.

I was mandated to self-isolate when not at work, and I did that scrupulously (groceries delivered, etc). But I just wanted to point out that the measures made me skip quarantine, instead of deterring my travel, which is deeply ironic.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Personally, the measures did not deter my travel, since my travel was unavoidable. It did, however, compel me to skip the quarantine altogether through availing myself of section 6h of the orders in council.
I don't think anyone has ever claimed it would deter all travel. And I presume the number of those who can avail themselves of that particular section is at least somewhat limited.

But a 2000$ pricetag? No way. Have fun with that.
Did you actually look into pricing? Honestly curious. I've seen numerous reports that in most cases it's actually costing a fair bit less than that (i.e. the initial annoucnement of 'up to $2000' was rather conservative.)

mahtax

Star Member
Dec 26, 2019
Did you actually look into pricing? Honestly curious. I've seen numerous reports that in most cases it's actually costing a fair bit less than that (i.e. the initial annoucnement of 'up to $2000' was rather conservative.)
I didn't. I made my alternative arrangements before the website to schedule it came in (it would have been in the first weeks of the new measures), and I took the government at its word.

It does deter me from visiting my wife and child still awaiting PR, though.

Reactions: DiiDii and armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
You’ll learn . Never , ever , take the Government at its word.

Ever
It's a nice buzz-phrase, but the government said "up to $2000" - at least I'm quite sure that's the way it was phrased, too lazy to check.

Then it costs less than that - from what I've heard, quite a bit less - and the complaint is that government is 'not keeping its word'?

Really?

Reactions: cjr

Western Mountain Man

Nov 2, 2018
Canada
You’ll learn . Never , ever , take the Government at its word.

Ever
Many around here don't listen to their ' words ' anymore.
They have all been cooped up way too long listening to the ever-changing rhetoric.

The quarantine hotels are all making money even though the prices have dropped somewhat, though,
I would be concerned as to how many positive covid cases are still arriving from some areas.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Seems like more are refusing to quarantine at the government hotels.
"More"? The article says 106 fines issued just in vancouver.

Compare this to: "PHAC says as of April 3, there were a total of 32,139 bookings made at a GAA, with 7,140 of those made in Vancouver. One booking may entail multiple guests or rooms booked but does not include any bookings made directly with a GAA hotel."

Reactions: Naheulbeuck

Western Mountain Man

Nov 2, 2018
Canada
"More"? The article says 106 fines issued just in vancouver.

Compare this to: "PHAC says as of April 3, there were a total of 32,139 bookings made at a GAA, with 7,140 of those made in Vancouver. One booking may entail multiple guests or rooms booked but does not include any bookings made directly with a GAA hotel."
International Covid Arrivals Feb.21/21 to Apr.6/21
2,282 positive cases (50/day)

That's more than previously.

Idrissrafd

Aug 12, 2020
lol That’s the Canada that I know.

they said, ‘Well, we can’t tell you that.
That’s hilarious, because we can just use our phone to discover the location lol And she finally made it.

The document forbids any photography during her stay, which was entirely in her private room, alone, other than being walked to and from the room when she arrived and left.

“It is strictly prohibited in order to protect the privacy and safety of current and future guests,” it concluded.

Who are those guests ?

Global News contacted the federal government for comment, but a response wasn’t received by the time of publication.

lol if they’re like IRCC, good luck for an answer.

These are intended to house travellers who have tested positive for COVID-19, who did not have reservations, or who have declared that they don’t have the money to pay for a hotel.

Wait... you just have to declare that you don’t have money ? That’s too big...

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
These are intended to house travellers who have tested positive for COVID-19, who did not have reservations, or who have declared that they don’t have the money to pay for a hotel.

Wait... you just have to declare that you don’t have money ? That’s too big...
This is not really 'news' in one sense - government's had these facilities since the start for those who arrived without a place to follow the self-isolation protocol. (It came up in news a fair bit during the first weeks of the travel restrictions) I assume it's also part of contingency plans and possibly other uses (government staff forced to travel? incoming health professionals or others?) but have no info on that.

I believe government has said they can recover/attempt to recover money from those who did not make plans or e.g. 'just declare they don't have money.' Government also has done this for various 'repatriation flights' and the like - do not always require money up front.

Whether they will or not, or when, or how vigorously, I have no idea.

The bigger question is how such individuals were able to board planes without reservations, as they're now seemingly required. (Not the case for the woman in this story, who did have a reservation and all the hotels were full up).

Reactions: his*marty

his*marty

Champion Member
Jul 28, 2020
Category........
FAM
This is not really 'news' in one sense - government's had these facilities since the start for those who arrived without a place to follow the self-isolation protocol. (It came up in news a fair bit during the first weeks of the travel restrictions) I assume it's also part of contingency plans and possibly other uses (government staff forced to travel? incoming health professionals or others?) but have no info on that.

I believe government has said they can recover/attempt to recover money from those who did not make plans or e.g. 'just declare they don't have money.' Government also has done this for various 'repatriation flights' and the like - do not always require money up front.

Whether they will or not, or when, or how vigorously, I have no idea.

The bigger question is how such individuals were able to board planes without reservations, as they're now seemingly required. (Not the case for the woman in this story, who did have a reservation and all the hotels were full up).
I am curious to the accuracy of the article as well, because I thought that you did need that plan of the hotel before boarding. At the same time, Canadians/PR's are allowed to come home anytime as their charter right - so how can they even deny boarding?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I am curious to the accuracy of the article as well, because I thought that you did need that plan of the hotel before boarding. At the same time, Canadians/PR's are allowed to come home anytime as their charter right - so how can they even deny boarding?
These are two separate things - the article was a little vague about people just 'showing up at the border and saying they don't have money for hotel stay.' That's where I think the question comes up of how they boarded in the first place.

As for government setting regs to not let travellers board they can do this. It's not a charter violation. They're not preventing you from entering Canada - you just have to pay money. Same as you would have to pay for an air ticket.

If someone is truly indigent and not just reciting some magical 'I got no money' incantation (as the article implies) - there are consular programs. In (infrequent) cases, government will even put up some money to help repatriate Canadians by eg paying for a flight - but qualifying is not easy and govt will have the consular case sign a note for the money, and will go after the money later. (This existed long before covid). I am guessing but suspect to the extent there are such cases, this could be expanded to cover the quarantine costs. I wouldn't expect them to advertise it - it's a type of emergency program. And I repeat - not easy to qualify and certainly not 'free' before. (And these would be organised beforehand, not just show up at the airport and expect it'll work).

That said, it's possible there are cases slipping through the cracks.

Reactions: his*marty