+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any new information on the latest announced travel restrictions please post here

Western Mountain Man

Nov 2, 2018
Canada
It is actually trudeau's government that is garbage. If you go on Facebook page for hotel quarantine, there's lots of complaining and lots of pissed off people. Lots of people are very upset. The question is what should people do when government create dumb rules that are clearly wrong? The history has proven that government is more than capable of this. Even contemporary governments. Canada is not immune to this.The thing is this is not going to deter people who are forced to travel because of personal circumstances. If they made it a reasonable price that is regular hotel rate , it wouldn't create more covid, this is what this dumb government needs to understand. But they choose to give special treatment to NHL players, athletes, diplomats and other prevelleged groups and abuse the vulnerable.
The " special treatment " sure hasn't worked well for our Canucks. :oops:
https://globalnews.ca/news/7736204/canucks-more-covid-cases/

• Angry
Reactions: rrss13

Stephen2021

Jan 26, 2021
Once my wife gets her confirmation of permanent resident? Is she able to travel to Canada now ? I’m getting mixed messages on the websites with covid travel restrictions.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It is actually trudeau's government that is garbage. If you go on Facebook page for hotel quarantine, there's lots of complaining and lots of pissed off people. Lots of people are very upset. The question is what should people do when government create dumb rules that are clearly wrong? The history has proven that government is more than capable of this. Even contemporary governments. Canada is not immune to this.The thing is this is not going to deter people who are forced to travel because of personal circumstances. If they made it a reasonable price that is regular hotel rate , it wouldn't create more covid, this is what this dumb government needs to understand. But they choose to give special treatment to NHL players, athletes, diplomats and other prevelleged groups and abuse the vulnerable.
If the cost was lower it would actually incentivize more travel. Quarantine hotels are not the same as normal hotels. They have more requirements so increased costs. I do think that the federal government has not been following up with the hotels to ensure that they are providing transportation from the airport, providing adequate security, that quarantine protocols are correctly observed and that adequate nutrition is provided although it doesn't have to appeal to everyone they should be meeting the Canada food guide plus maybe a few treats.

Not sure if in any country requiring hotel quarantine you will find a website saying that everyone is thrilled and loved hotel quarantine. It is not something that is meant to be enjoyed it is just tolerated. People should be happy they aren't required to do 10-14 days like other countries. There has been an outbreak of the Brazilian variant in Alberta due to travel abroad so people are still not quarantining properly even with the extra measures in place.

Reactions: YVR123 and cjr

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
If the cost was lower it would actually incentivize more travel.
The idea that the cost doesn't deter travel is absurd - comments everywhere show that's not true. (And when we see claims that people are 'forced' to travel for personal reasons - well, it's funny how these essential reasons become less essential when it costs more money and time).

I'm not a big fan of this policy nor how it's been implemented but there are two facts no-one seems to want to recognize, particularly if they already dislike this government:
1) This policy was brought in with a huge amount of political pressure esp by some provincial governments - blaming international travel for covid cases. And rather transparently to distract from their own failures. (Not to mention that one of the reasons this ended up being necessary is federal government couldn't direclty enforce or check the self-isolation requirements many were ignoring).

2) Many seem to want the government to make exceptions for their particular, special, essential reason. Govt hates and really doesn't want to be in a position to have to decide or adjudicate what's an 'essential reason' to go abroad - is this person's sick mother more essential than that persons sick brother? What about just missing your spouse?

It would mean having a whole bureaucracy to make those decisions, then have to come up with documentation requirements, then having to check those documents (are they real? we already have people forging covid test results), etc.

And of course - inevitably - there would have to be an appeal procedure and a whole quasi-judicial bureaucracy built up around that, AND government would continuously be criticised for being unfair. (And what would be different? If you were 'allowed' to travel by some bureaucrat, should government pay for your room?)

Yep, it's not a great situation. It's not particularly 'fair' but then not much is without money.

But government was pushed into having to do something imperfect, and the alternatives would - from many perspectives - be even worse for many and particularly worse politically.

his*marty

Champion Member
Jul 28, 2020
Category........
FAM
Well, I'm not going to be annoyed with the NHL because they are funding their own testing...heavily testing the teams and staff. That said, I would happily pay for as many tests as necessary if I could cut my quarantine to 7 days.

his*marty

Champion Member
Jul 28, 2020
Category........
FAM
If the cost was lower it would actually incentivize more travel. Quarantine hotels are not the same as normal hotels. They have more requirements so increased costs. I do think that the federal government has not been following up with the hotels to ensure that they are providing transportation from the airport, providing adequate security, that quarantine protocols are correctly observed and that adequate nutrition is provided although it doesn't have to appeal to everyone they should be meeting the Canada food guide plus maybe a few treats.

Not sure if in any country requiring hotel quarantine you will find a website saying that everyone is thrilled and loved hotel quarantine. It is not something that is meant to be enjoyed it is just tolerated. People should be happy they aren't required to do 10-14 days like other countries. There has been an outbreak of the Brazilian variant in Alberta due to travel abroad so people are still not quarantining properly even with the extra measures in place.
I am not sure the issue is always that a returning traveler is not quarantining. The issue still continues that travelers are quarantining with other family members in the household that go out and about as normal - thus taking the variant in to the community. If a person is quarantined at home - the whole household should quarantine. When I returned last March, everyone in my home quarantined with me - even though one of my family members' employer was pissed about it and thought he should be at work regardless.

Reactions: YVR123

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I am not sure the issue is always that a returning traveler is not quarantining. The issue still continues that travelers are quarantining with other family members in the household that go out and about as normal - thus taking the variant in to the community. If a person is quarantined at home - the whole household should quarantine. When I returned last March, everyone in my home quarantined with me - even though one of my family members' employer was pissed about it and thought he should be at work regardless.
To simplify I think many would say that they're not quarantining properly.

sgp1986

Star Member
Jan 2, 2020
Has anyone seen anything mentioned if being vaccinated will affect any quarantining regulations in the near future?

his*marty

Champion Member
Jul 28, 2020
Category........
FAM
Has anyone seen anything mentioned if being vaccinated will affect any quarantining regulations in the near future?
The conservatives were pushing the federal government to create a plan with some potential stats on how many people would be vaccinated before restrictions were lifted...they voted no to that motion. None of us know and the government doesn't want to give us any info.

Western Mountain Man

Nov 2, 2018
Canada
I'm sure most/all of the returning travelers are responsible and doing the right thing unfortunately the local quarantine hotels are ' gouging '
them for their own profit margin. ( Who is going to question it? ) Maybe that's why along with other safety reasons travelers would prefer
to quarantine at home while waiting for their test results. I get it that not everyone's home or family situation is the same and that could
pose some risks but it's not rocket science to make some adjustments there. I would have no problem paying for a Covid test if it shortened
the duration and just to be safe test everyone in your home.

The real risks are the marginalized groups and people next door that don't care any more. The 20-year-olds that still thinks
this is an old persons disease and going about their daily business spreading covid to their friends and family in the community.

-Do you really want to take a busy shuttle bus from the airport to the quarantine hotel with many other travelers?
If you have to travel it's much safer and cost effective to quarantine at home.

Reactions: his*marty