+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any new information on the latest announced travel restrictions please post here

Gtiffen

Star Member
Dec 28, 2019
Ok, so As i mentioned earlier in this thread my sister (also canadian citizen) is landing with her egyptian spouse today having flown in from Qatar, and he has his CoPR, negative tests obviously and quarentine plans. ...they have landed now, easily sailed through customs and immigration, and were only told they had to quarentine for 14 days after they gave the officer their quarentine address. So clearly none of the stricter new rules are in place yet!

AmyL

Star Member
Mar 3, 2020
Because everyone who has applied for economic PR would be screaming about how their lives are on hold with no processing being done.

More practically, leaving applications behind for a long time just makes the catching-up a lot more difficult. Continuing processing is better - given that photos expire, medicals expire, police certificates expire, IELTS expires, work experience must be in the most recent 5 or 10 years... if you didn't process the economic PRs at all, everyone's eligibility would change before you started processing them again.
Seems like a better policy to reunite families and grant extensions on all those items that will expire. They would have to extend the ability to arrive anyways because of the landing restrictions. Heck, many businesses are shut down so they couldn't even work. They should only push through those that could be "essential" workers and move other processors to spousal/family so that people can be together in these hard times.

Reactions: mahtax

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Ok, so As i mentioned earlier in this thread my sister (also canadian citizen) is landing with her egyptian spouse today having flown in from Qatar, and he has his CoPR, negative tests obviously and quarentine plans. ...they have landed now, easily sailed through customs and immigration, and were only told they had to quarentine for 14 days after they gave the officer their quarentine address. So clearly none of the stricter new rules are in place yet!
I think this i maybe the tenth? time I'm posting this: the three-day hotel and test requirement has not been implemented yet.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
There's you and your conspiracy theories. Joel Warmington is not a well-regarded journalist. This is not the three-day quarantine that everyone is panicking about. You are, soundly and solidly, wrong.

The COVIDiot in Warmington's story, that you link, completely ignored the government's instructions that say that rapid tests are not acceptable for the COVID test you have to present to come back to Canada on an airplane. Nevertheless, he persisted, and when he arrived in Canada, the CBSA agents used Quarantine Act powers to force him to get a proper test.

Your posting of Warmington's story, which you think is some kind of great victory on your part, is yet another example of people thinking that they know more than the government and who ignored the rules. Rapid tests have a massive failure rate and are very good at giving false negatives and false positives. There's a reason why the government doesn't accept them for returning flights.

Additionally, Warmington seems to think that the way to control an infection is to assume everyone is healthy until they're proven to be sick. Uh, no. That's how you get massive spread from asymptomatic people.

But, Shoaib, you don't believe in COVID.

Shoaib Akhtar

Mar 12, 2011
There's you and your conspiracy theories. Joel Warmington is not a well-regarded journalist.

The COVIDiot in Warmington's story, that you link, completely ignored the government's instructions that say that rapid tests are not acceptable for the COVID test you have to present to come back to Canada on an airplane. Nevertheless, he persisted, and when he arrived in Canada, the CBSA agents used Quarantine Act powers to force him to get a proper test.

Your posting of Warmington's story, which you think is some kind of great victory on your part, is yet another example of people thinking that they know more than the government and who ignored the rules. Rapid tests have a massive failure rate and are very good at giving false negatives and false positives. There's a reason why the government doesn't accept them for returning flights.
3 days quarantine you want a homage for is actually implemented on this guy lol

mahtax

Star Member
Dec 26, 2019
Sounds like khp and mahtax is the same person with two different accounts, always to the defense.. Be responsible and share for the common benefit
You obviously missed the first 8 pages where we argue with each other.

Use your brain - not all the tests are the same. This was not arbitrary. It's also not the 3 day quarantine you and me will be subject to.

Reactions: cjr and k.h.p.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
But yeah, this was another example of the government announcing a restriction without actually planning it first. Extremely stupid.
Yes, agree - this was a dumb approach under political pressure (esp from some provinces) to announce early, and clearly hadn't thought through the implications of what would be needed to distinguish between 'essential' and non-essential travel. (As a simple example, not just having rules about which is which, but also how to verify and who would do the verification and at what stage - before travelling abroad or on return?). Also clear that they did not do much planning in advance on this - at least certainly not in terms of having something ready-to-implement in case it got worse.

I don't even mean this in a partisan sense - unfortunately there are relatively few examples of governments in Canada that have done well at dealing with covid. (Leaving aside momentarily the occasional border-line covid denialist governments, that I'm not going to name). And I don't see any obvious correlation with party.

What's worse is that it also seems that some levels and parts of government that are non-partisan have also not dealt with it very well.

For that matter, with the possible exception of parts of Asia, there aren't that many examples of governments that have handled particularly well - just examples of those that obviously screwed up at key junctures.

Lisaexpat

Dec 7, 2018
United Kingdom
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Warsaw
App. Filed.......
01/05/2018
AOR Received.
Interview........
Not needed
What if you can not afford the $2000.00 fee?