+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any hope for CEC restarting?

Mannikeep Pal

Star Member
Mar 10, 2022
Wait so how is saying there's always hope they'll start again this year giving people illusions?
There's still 8 and a half months left of 2022 afterall and I highly doubt they'll wait until the entire backlog is cleared before starting draws again especially if they want to keep to next years targets.

Draws will be probably be a lot later in the year with higher scores but I can definitely see them happening.
If they processed and completed all backlogs of FSW/CEC, PNP and other programs, no need to draw this year or next even, they can still achieve the target for this year and next or even the year after.
But of course, they will draw this year, but how to clear backlogs should and would be the no.1 priority. It would look terrible if the backlogs stacking up and up. The department would like to keep its reputation.

aommnd

Star Member
Apr 6, 2022
Yes, PNP might be quicker than CEC. Try other options instead of hanging there for only one choice.
I was more than 500. Score is not important at all. 75 points can still be invited.
PNP is not going to be quicker, probably around 30 months.
If CEC opens in the next 3-4 months and even if 12 months processing time it will be half the time.
PNP is really the last option, I am applying to PNP as well but I will leave it the moment CEC opens up again.

David Z

Apr 8, 2022
Same Boat to you, and waiting CEC draw. I heard some immigration consultant got the notice from IRCC about the coming change of Express Entry system. When it resume, it will most like be the occupation specific draw, such as a lot of PNP nomination. I think the IRCC is making the plan of change of EE system, we may wait longer time. Also, Canadian education and Canadian working experience may get the more points, or it may build new international students stream through express entry. It will be priority to in-land CEC stream in EE system, and don not lost hope.

Mannikeep Pal

Star Member
Mar 10, 2022
PNP is not going to be quicker, probably around 30 months.
If CEC opens in the next 3-4 months and even if 12 months processing time it will be half the time.
PNP is really the last option, I am applying to PNP as well but I will leave it the moment CEC opens up again.
Sigh....

Yes, just go find some professional immigration agents to explore more options...

Good luck buddy...

aommnd

Star Member
Apr 6, 2022
Same Boat to you, and waiting CEC draw. I heard some immigration consultant got the notice from IRCC about the coming change of Express Entry system. When it resume, it will most like be the occupation specific draw, such as a lot of PNP nomination. I think the IRCC is making the plan of change of EE system, we may wait longer time. Also, Canadian education and Canadian working experience may get the more points, or it may build new international students stream through express entry. It will be priority to in-land CEC stream in EE system, and don not lost hope.
When did you graduate?

powerssdd

Aug 4, 2019
I am learning to forget about it.

Then after one or two years, all of a sudden, it resumes!

I will get a super surprise gift!

How wonderful it is! I cannot image how happy I will be!

I guess I will thank IRCC for making the process so torturous and the surprise so sweet!

aommnd

Star Member
Apr 6, 2022
I am learning to forget about it.

Then after one or two years, all of a sudden, it resumes!

I will get a super surprise gift!

How wonderful it is! I cannot image how happy I will be!

I guess I will thank IRCC for making the process so torturous and the surprise so sweet!
Let's not give up hope just yet. I read recently that IRCC could resume CEC/FSW draws once the backlog is cleared by 50%.
I'm hoping in the next month or two we will very hopefully see a CEC draw esp as they start realizing university graduates from 2021 are stranded otherwise

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
Sorry, it’s not easy to say, but: No new draws of CEC and FSW unless all backlogs have been cleared out!!!!!!
You have no idea how about the pain, anxiety, desperation, readiness to commit suicide after killing my whole family who came to this country suffering from those bureaucrats and those who delayed my case. Any longer waiting time is increasing the chance I lose my mind eventually.
I know you are in pain and uncertainty as well, but, please remember many CEC and FSW applications have been waiting for 6, 12, 18, 24 and even more months after receiving AOR.
I am ready to do the unspoken anytime because of this never stopping waiting.

So, PLEASE, don’t resume new draws!!!!!!!
I understand you're frustrated but this is your opinion and the question was about expectations about WHEN CEC should resume, not IF. I'd strongly suggest you seek mental health counseling with comments like "ready to do the unspoken" as it is very unCanadian to say such things. Everyone is waiting, it's painful, but based on your signature at least your application is in process and appears to look fairly promising given you have an AOR and MP.

The Minister seems true to his word so we can probably expect it to resume in the next three months, however, he has been very clear that the priority is Ukrainian refugees now so brace yourself for more delays if he directs the IRCC to process these files accordingly. Furthermore, in the Budget and from his comments it does appear to be the case that he wants to start targeting candidates for in-demand occupations through Express Entry, so there is no doubt CEC/FSW will resume, but it will probably look different when it does.

aommnd

Star Member
Apr 6, 2022
The Minister seems true to his word so we can probably expect it to resume in the next three months, however, he has been very clear that the priority is Ukrainian refugees now so brace yourself for more delays if he directs the IRCC to process these files accordingly. Furthermore, in the Budget and from his comments it does appear to be the case that he wants to start targeting candidates for in-demand occupations through Express Entry, so there is no doubt CEC/FSW will resume, but it will probably look different when it does.
Is there any better option right now for tech/software-engineers?
I was considering applying to OINP right now, which to get the nomination itself will take around 6 months from now anyway so if CEC opens I can just cancel the OINP.

Thanks

Hmmm

Star Member
Jan 31, 2022
I see a lot of misleading comments on here.
-First, it has never been about clearing backlog before resuming draws. IRCC is focused on bringing application processing time to normal like was done before. That’s why they paused additional intake for FSW and CEC. There will always be backlog no matter what.
-Second, the minister of immigration has made several public appearances where he spoke on this issue. He has consistently said that there will be an announcement in spring about when FHS draws will resume. An announcement in spring doesn’t necessarily means that draws will resume in spring. Summer is also a possibility here. Two internal memos from IRCC has indicated that draws will resume “LATER THIS YEAR WITH HIGH CRS” which would mean summer.
If anything try to explore PNP options especially when your CRS is not in 500s.

Last edited:

powerssdd

Aug 4, 2019
I see a lot of misleading comments on here.
-First, it has never been about clearing backlog before resuming draws. IRCC is focused on bringing application time to normal like was done before. That’s why they paused additional intake for FSW and CEC. There will always be backlog no matter what.
-Second, the minister of immigration has made several public appearances where he spoke on this issue. He has consistently said that there will be an announcement in spring about when FHS draws will resume. An announcement in spring doesn’t necessarily means that draws will resume in spring. Summer is also a possibility here. Two internal memos from IRCC has indicated that draws will resume “LATER THIS YEAR WITH HIGH CRS” which would mean summer.
If anything try to explore PNP options especially when your CRS is not in 500s.
I think this is inaccurate.

The minister did say FSH draws, not just an announcement, would resume this spring.

Besides, he was also working on new PR pathways for temporary workers and international students.
https://www.applyboard.com/blog/educate-the-world-2022
(starting 15:20)
Note how he stressed it himself: "(The mandate for new pathways) is black and white there."

That makes the whole thing a little bit optimistic.

Hmmm

Star Member
Jan 31, 2022
I think this is inaccurate.

The minister did say FSH draws, not just an announcement, would resume this spring.

Besides, he was also working on new PR pathways for temporary workers and international students.
https://www.applyboard.com/blog/educate-the-world-2022
(starting 15:20)
Note how he stressed it himself: "(The mandate for new pathways) is black and white there."

That makes the whole thing a little bit optimistic.
He has made several appearances after this interview with APPLYBOARD. Plus read the latest version of the internal memo from IRCC.

powerssdd

Aug 4, 2019
He has made several appearances after this interview with APPLYBOARD. Plus read the latest version of the internal memo from IRCC.
You mean this one?
https://moving2canada.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/January-2022-IRCC-Express-Entry-Memo-March-17-2022.pdf

The "Next steps" section says "we will return to you in March 2022...", meaning the memo was submitted before March.
The interview with APPLYBOARD happened on March 10th.

Obviously the interview is more recent and more reliable.

I am not sure what are the "several appearances after the interview" you referred to.
It will be great if you can share some links and sources.

Last edited:

Hmmm

Star Member
Jan 31, 2022
You mean this one?
https://moving2canada.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/January-2022-IRCC-Express-Entry-Memo-March-17-2022.pdf

The "Next steps" section says "we will return to you in Martch 2022...", meaning the memo was submitted before March.
The interview with APPLYBOARD happened on March 10th.

Obviously the interview is more recent and more reliable.

I am not sure what are the "several appearances after the interview" you referred to.
It will be great if you can share some links and sources.
He spoke on RED FM in Calgary and made an appearance before committee on differential outcome in immigration applications where he addressed this topic specifically. I will get both links and post it on here. All these appearances were done after the ApplyBoard interview.

aommnd

Star Member
Apr 6, 2022
Can you give any sources? Powerssd gave some sources which make it seem somewhat optimistic at least.