Aug 16, 2013 (@ time of PER)
Med's Request
Nov 13, 2013
Med's Done....
Nov 21, 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 23, 2013. PP sent on Dec 30, 2013, received by CPPO on Jan 6, 2014.
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 23, 2013 --- Valid until Dec 5, 2014.
LANDED..........
Mar 08, 2014
Going to Canada:

Saturday, March 8, 2014: My wife and I, we both stopped at Niagara Falls, NY visitor center to freshen up after an 9 hour drive. I drove my own car and not rental. I drove through the bridge and there was a long line about 30 mins. Paid a US$ 3.50 toll to cross the bridge.

Finally I was at the CBSA border. The lady officer at the booth asked me in a little louder than normal tone (may be because there was lot of background noise around).

She asked, so, what are we doing today?
I said: We are landing today.

Gave the PPs and COPRs to her. She asked if I was carrying any alcohol or firearms. I said no to both. She then asked, if I was importing my car today. I said, I plan to return back to US in 4 days and I will import the car later. She asked, whether the car was listed on the goods to follow (GTF), and I answered yes. She asked, how much cash I was carrying. I mentioned it was <US$ 1200.

She asked if I knew what I need to do next and my answer was to go in the office to get PR processing done and stamp the GTF list. She then gave me back the PPs, COPR and one pink slip with something written on it, showed me where to park, and asked us to go in the office through the double glass doors.

I parked the car and we went in through the double doors. There wasn't a line so we were called upon by another male officer as soon as we went in. He asked for PPs, COPRs and the pink slip. Gave it to him and he asked us to sit while someone calls back our names.

We waited for about 10 minutes. A lady officer called my name. We both went with the documents we had.

She said: So, I see that you had applied on the skilled worker category. May I see your bank statement?
I gave her the bank reference letters.

She asked my wife to provide her with the I-20 because she is a student in US and her F1 student's visa was expired. She asked for my I-797 approval notice because my current H1b US visa was expired and she wanted to check both of our statuses in the US.
We gave both. In both our documents, mine and my wife's status end date were September 2015.

She then asked us to sit in the waiting area until she calls back. We waited about 20 mins until she called us back.
She asked to both of us, if we were convicted of any felony or crime and that if we had any other dependents besides each other. We answered NO to both questions. She asked us to sign the COPR forms and congratulated us for becoming the permanent residents.

Now the glitch. She gave back our documents (Passport, COPR, bank reference letter, I-797 and I-20) and said, since you both will be going back to the US, and will not return until Sept 2015, I cannot process your permanent resident card right now. I said, we were going to be back in Canada in next 3 months ~ June 2014 and that we do have an address here in Canada. She was a little rude and said, I know how it works, and I will not accept your mailing address in Canada. You will need to fill this form (gave us 2 forms - IMM 5456 - Address notification form) and provide your address with your lease agreement when you return back to Canada for good. I was little shocked with this, but asked her politely, if she can take the address and she bluntly said NO. I confirmed, whether I am a PR or not? She said you both are now PR, and you can apply for PR card when you return back for settling. She then asked us to go to other counter to get the GTF signed and stamped.

Goods to Follow List Stamping: We went to another male officer. He was very polite and looked at our 2 copies of GTF list. We had Goods Accompanying List (GAL), but the officer was not interested in looking at it. He said you can put that back in your folder, I do not need that one. He asked if we prepared a B4 E form? I said we did not. He took care of preparing a B4 E form. I had GTF lists prepared in excel table format. He stamped both GTF copies and gave one to us and kept one for them in their file. Because this officer was so polite, we asked him if we can apply for PR card here. He mentioned, this is a CBSA office and the only service we offer for new immigrants is related to custom. If you want to apply for PR card, please check the CIC website and gave a general CIC web address.

We thought, may be he was true. Later I remembered some of the experiences (http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/form-imm-5456-t51246.0.html) shared by fellow forum members of having similar trouble of not processing the PR card at the time of landing. I thought, I would check back to the forum later that night and forgot about the issue. We came out and drove to our relative's place.

Monday morning: March 10, 2014: Went to Service Canada and got the SIN done for both of us.
Also in the afternoon, I checked in the ECAS status to see if there were any changes. When I logged in, it stated in the section of current home address: Imm 5456. Below that there was a clickable tab stating “Update this home address”. I clicked it and it took me to the Address notification online tool. I updated my Canadian address. I did not use the paper copy of the IMM 5456 form that the immigration female officer provided me at the Canada Border. The IMM 5456 form does not require any other documents to be sent with it. It only needs to be filled with correct information and address. The form can be faxed to CIC or the address notification can be done online using the online tool (which I did).

Returning to the US: (Used AVR - Automatic Visa Re-validation)

Tuesday afternoon: March 11, 2014: Left from relative's place and drove back to US. This time crossing over the border from Lewiston-Queenston Bridge, NY.

At the booth, the US officer asked where are you coming from and where do you live?
I mentioned the city, ON, Canada and the place where I live. He asked why you visited Canada, and I mentioned we were in Canada to complete landing formalities. He briefly asked, when I left the US?

He asked if I was working for the same company mentioned in the expired visa. I said yes. I also added that we are using AVR. He asked, what is that? I said Automatic Visa Revalidation. He asked similar questions to my wife and she gave appropriate answers. He cross checked the photo in passport vs. my face. And gave back the documents along with passport back to us and said have a good day. It was less than a minute of conversation.

At this I felt, the female officers at Canada border were a little rude than the US officer.

March 12, 2014: Status on ECAS changed from Decision Made to Complete. And a 5th line added: You entered Canada at the Niagara Falls Rainbow Bridge office on March 8, 2014 and became a Permanent Resident.

Update: March 14, 2014: Address on ECAS was updated to new Canadian address which I changed in the address notification online tool on March 10.

A BIG THANKS TO EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM FOR THEIR CONTRIBUTION

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
03-09-2013, sent 17-09-2013, DM 06-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
cnonline said:
Going to Canada:

Saturday, March 8, 2014: I and my wife, we both stopped at Niagara Falls, NY visitor center to freshen up after an 9 hour drive. I drove my own car and not rental. I drove through the bridge and there was a long line about 30 mins. Paid a US$ 3.50 toll to cross the bridge.

Finally I was at the CBSA border. The lady officer at the booth asked me in a little louder than normal tone (may be because there was lot of background noise around).

Gave the PPs and COPRs to her. She asked if I was carrying any alcohol or firearms. I said no to both. She then asked, if I was importing my car today. I said, I plan to return back to US in 4 days and I will import the car later. She asked, whether the car was listed on the goods to follow (GTF), and I answered yes. She asked, how much cash I was carrying. I mentioned it was <US$ 1200.

She asked if I knew what I need to do next and my answer was to go in the office to get PR processing done and stamp the GTF list. She then gave me back the PPs, COPR and one pink slip with something written on it, showed me where to park, and asked us to go in the office through the double glass doors.

I parked the car and we went in through the double doors. There wasn't a line so we were called upon by another male officer as soon as we went in. He asked for PPs, COPRs and the pink slip. Gave it to him and he asked us to sit while someone calls back our names.

We waited for about 10 minutes. A lady officer called my name. We both went with the documents we had.

She said: So, I see that you had applied on the skilled worker category. May I see your bank statement?

She asked my wife to provide her with the I-20 because she is a student in US and her F1 student's visa was expired. She asked for my I-797 approval notice because my current H1b US visa was expired and she wanted to check both of our statuses in the US.
We gave both. In both our documents, my and my wife's status end date were September 2015.

She then asked us to sit in the waiting area until she calls back. We waited about 20 mins until she called us back.
She asked to both of us, if we were convicted of any felony or crime and that if we had any other dependents besides each other. We answered NO to both questions. She asked us to sign the COPR forms and congratulated us for becoming the permanent residents.

Now the glitch. She gave back our documents (Passport, COPR, bank reference letter, I-797 and I-20) and said, since you both will be going back to the US, and will not return until Sept 2015, I cannot process your permanent resident card right now. I said, we were going to be back in Canada in next 3 months ~ June 2014 and that we do have an address here in Canada. She was a little rude and said, I know how it works, and I will not accept your mailing address in Canada. You will need to fill this form (gave us 2 forms - IMM 5456 - Address notification form) and provide your address with your lease agreement when you return back to Canada for good. I was little shocked with this, but asked her politely, if she can take the address and she bluntly said NO. I confirmed, whether I am a PR or not? She said you both are now PR, and you can apply for PR card when you return back for settling. She then asked us to go to other counter to get the GTF signed and stamped.

Goods to Follow List Stamping: We went to another male officer. He was very polite and looked at our 2 copies of GTF list. We had Goods Accompanying List (GAL), but the officer was not interested in looking at it. He said you can put that back in your folder, I do not need that one. He asked if we prepared a B4 E form? I said we did not. He took care of preparing a B4 E form. I had GTF lists prepared in excel table format. He stamped both GTF copies and gave one to us and kept one for them in their file. Because this officer was so polite, we asked him if we can apply for PR card here. He mentioned, this is a CBSA office and the only service we offer for new immigrants is related to custom. If you want to apply for PR card, please check the CIC website and gave a general CIC web address.

We thought, may be he was true. Later I remembered some of the experiences (http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/form-imm-5456-t51246.0.html) shared by fellow forum members of having similar trouble of not processing the PR card at the time of landing. I thought, I would check back to the forum later that night and forgot about the issue. We came out and drove to our relative's place.

Monday morning: March 10, 2014: Went to Service Canada and got the SIN done for both of us.
Also in the afternoon, I checked in the ECAS status to see if there were any changes. When I logged in, it stated in the section of current home address: Imm 5456. Below that there was a clickable tab stating “Update this home address”. I clicked it and it took me to the Address notification online tool. I updated my Canadian address. I did not use the paper copy of the IMM 5456 form that the immigration female officer provided me at the Canada Border. The IMM 5456 form does not require any other documents to be sent with it. It only needs to be filled with correct information and address. The form can be faxed to CIC or the address notification can be done online using the online tool (which I did).

Returning to the US:

Tuesday afternoon: March 11, 2014: Left from relative's place and drove back to US. This time crossing over the border from Lewiston-Queenston Bridge, NY.

At the booth, the US officer asked where are you coming from and where do you live?
I mentioned the city, ON, Canada and the place where I live. He asked why you visited Canada, and I mentioned we were in Canada to complete landing formalities. He briefly asked, when I left the US?

He asked if I was working for the same company mentioned in the expired visa. I said yes. I also added that we are using AVR. He asked, what is that? I said Automatic Visa Revalidation. He asked similar questions to my wife and she gave appropriate answers. He cross checked the photo in passport vs. my face. And gave back the documents along with passport back to us and said have a good day. It was less than a minute of conversation.

At this I felt, the female officers at Canada border were a little rude than the US officer.

March 12, 2014: Status on ECAS changed from Decision Made to Complete. And a 5th line added: You entered Canada at the Niagara Falls Rainbow Bridge office on March 8, 2014 and became a Permanent Resident.

Congrats on becoming a PR!!!

Regards,

gilmerfamily

Mar 10, 2014
cnonline said:
Going to Canada:

Saturday, March 8, 2014: I and my wife, we both stopped at Niagara Falls, NY visitor center to freshen up after an 9 hour drive. I drove my own car and not rental. I drove through the bridge and there was a long line about 30 mins. Paid a US$ 3.50 toll to cross the bridge.

We gave both. In both our documents, my and my wife's status end date were September 2015.

Returning to the US:

Congratulations cnonline! Wish you& your wife the best! To God be the glory! :)

nekeol

Champion Member
Nov 7, 2012
Waterloo region, Ontario
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London/Abu Dhabi
NOC Code......
1111 Accountant
App. Filed.......
25/9/2011
Doc's Request.
21/11/12
Nomination.....
Not Applicable
IELTS Request
Submitted with Application
Med's Request
19/12/2013, after BGC
Med's Done....
7/1/2014
Interview........
Exempt
Passport Req..
02/02/2014 - DM 11/2/14
VISA ISSUED...
14/02/2014
LANDED..........
Alhamdolillah Landed July 2014/Citizenship Applied in JAN 2018
cnonline said:
Going to Canada:

Returning to the US:

congratulations to be permanent resident of Canada and thanks for sharing your experience, wish u good luck

wrocky88

Jan 26, 2014
Congratulation!

My situation is very similar to you. But when I was landing the officer knew I would go back to U.S. for two months next day, he didn't let me do the GTF list. He said I could fill out the B4 next time when I re-entry Canada for settling. Do you know is that OK? Because from the information I searched, the GTF is supposed to be done while landing even though you don't bring the stuff with you......

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
03-09-2013, sent 17-09-2013, DM 06-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
wrocky88 said:
Congratulation!

My situation is very similar to you. But when I was landing the officer knew I would go back to U.S. for two months next day, he didn't let me do the GTF list. He said I could fill out the B4 next time when I re-entry Canada for settling. Do you know is that OK? Because from the information I searched, the GTF is supposed to be done while landing even though you don't bring the stuff with you......
Yes you are correct.. Not sure why he did not let you get the Goods to Follow list stamped this time. It is only on the first landing that you can declare everything tax free and bring it later.

Did you have form B4e already filled when you landed? Maybe he did not want to do the effort of filling out the form.

Regards,

anthcott@yahoo.com

Star Member
Jul 7, 2009
cnonline said:
Going to Canada:

Saturday, March 8, 2014: My wife and I, we both stopped at Niagara Falls, NY visitor center to freshen up after an 9 hour drive. I drove my own car and not rental. I drove through the bridge and there was a long line about 30 mins. Paid a US$ 3.50 toll to cross the bridge.

We gave both. In both our documents, mine and my wife's status end date were September 2015.

Returning to the US: (Used AVR - Automatic Visa Re-validation)

Update: March 14, 2014: Address on ECAS was updated to new Canadian address which I changed in the address notification online tool on March 10.

I am also planning to land in Canada and return using AVR. One thing that concerns me is that the US IO asked "if I was working for the same company mentioned in the expired visa". So does this mean that for AVR to become active we should be working for the same employer who is listed on the expired H1B VISA, because I have changed employers, so the employer listed on my expired VISA is different from that on my current active I-797 approval notice? Am I still eligible for AVR rule to return to the US? Any one reentered US with similar situation as I am in? Please guide, kind of tensed.

PGH3SA

Aug 4, 2014
Hello Member

I made a successful landing yesterday on Feb7th 2015 at Queenston (Toronto). They gave me IMM 5456 like they have been issuing it to many folks for filling out the address that is established once we finally come for good in Canada. My question is should I send the Form with my relative address.

Thanks

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
anthcott@yahoo.com said:
I am also planning to land in Canada and return using AVR. One thing that concerns me is that the US IO asked "if I was working for the same company mentioned in the expired visa". So does this mean that for AVR to become active we should be working for the same employer who is listed on the expired H1B VISA, because I have changed employers, so the employer listed on my expired VISA is different from that on my current active I-797 approval notice? Am I still eligible for AVR rule to return to the US? Any one reentered US with similar situation as I am in? Please guide, kind of tensed.
Your expired visa makes no difference. What you need to carry is your new I-94, this is what the officer needs to see when you return. And they ask whether you work for the same employer, your answer is no I transferred my H1-B to another company. If you still have the old stamped I-94 then definitely take it, this is the one they need to re-validate. Confusing but thats how it works.

Kumar2k1

Star Member
Sep 30, 2013
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC - Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-05-2014
Doc's Request.
No
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
NO
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
18-09-2014
Med's Done....
18-10-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08-01-2015
VISA ISSUED...
14-01-2015
LANDED..........
06-03-2015
Hi Friends,
I am planning to complete landing next month from USA. I am also planning to drive my own car to the border and complete landing and return to USA using AVR. \
Here are my 2 questions:
1. Will there be a problem at the border if I drive my own car. because, I heard some stories that CBSA asks you to import the car no matter of returning date. Is that true?
2. I have relatives in Canada and I am planning to provide their address and spend a couple of weeks in Canada with them. Can I fill out the address form and request CIC to send my PR card to my relatives place?

I really appreciate if anyone can provide info on this.
Thanks.

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Kumar2k1 said:
Hi Friends,
I am planning to complete landing next month from USA. I am also planning to drive my own car to the border and complete landing and return to USA using AVR. \
Here are my 2 questions:
1. Will there be a problem at the border if I drive my own car. because, I heard some stories that CBSA asks you to import the car no matter of returning date. Is that true?
2. I have relatives in Canada and I am planning to provide their address and spend a couple of weeks in Canada with them. Can I fill out the address form and request CIC to send my PR card to my relatives place?

I really appreciate if anyone can provide info on this.
Thanks.
1. No
2. Yes

bikbis

Star Member
Jun 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Please reply if anyone has recently used AVR to return USA after the landing formalities completed in Canada.

Thanks.

tetunte

Champion Member
Jul 25, 2013
Visa Office......
Mexico
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
02-01-2015
Nomination.....
20-04-2015
AOR Received.
05-08-2015
IELTS Request
26-05-2015 with application
File Transfer...
09-09-2015
Med's Request
09-09-2015
Med's Done....
25-09-2015
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
20-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
28-10-2015
LANDED..........
July 31 2016
Could you help me out?

What happen after you managed to update your Canadian Address (using the online option), Did they send you your PR Cards to that address.
without doing anything else or you needed to enter Canada and then apply for your PR Card.

Another question If I enter Canada in Toronto, only to activate my PR Status but I don't travel to the province that
nominated me, could be a problem?, Do I need to tell CBSA, that I am only traveling for a week to do my short landing?

Thank you folks, any experience will be appreciated it.

induscan

Star Member
Oct 11, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
ND
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-07-2014
Nomination.....
PER: 06-11-2014
IELTS Request
Submitted with App
Med's Request
15-01-2015
Med's Done....
26-01-2015
Passport Req..
07-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
04-05-2015
LANDED..........
08-01-2016
Hello,

Please confirm if you have received your PR cards mailed to the address that you have updated online. I am in the same boat now and would like to do it as you did and not sending the 5456 form as I do not have a lease agreement yet.

cnonline said:
Going to Canada: