+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

An embarrassing immigration question...

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
jideomoba said:
Don't fret. You are mistaken in your assumption. None of what you imagined happens in the medical exam, the doctors /clinics are not government owned. They are just regular clinics that are authorized to perform the immigration medical (probably because they have good facilities and skills). You will have to remove your top for some tests I.e chest X-ray but not bare it all. So, you wont be in your " birth suit" The rest are just tests (blood and urine) and some questions about your medical past. None of the test is invasive.

Other parameters measured are blood pressure and BMI

Just to assure you that you will not even be as "naked" as you would be if you are to wear a swim trunk.

Go ahead and pursue your Canadian dream.

Cheers!
+1 . Couldn't have said it better!!

ybjianada

Sep 6, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-01-2016
AOR Received.
20-01-2016
Med's Done....
Passed on 24-01-2016
Passport Req..
06-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
23-12-2016
They are not curious about your body per se. The purpose of the medical examination is to find out whether you have any existing conditions (or past conditions) that might cause strain to the Canadian healthcare system. They do need to see your entire body (yes, including your genital area) to make sure that there is nothing medically concerning (e.g., a scar that indicates past surgeries, etc).

Remember that the doctor has received professional training and they have seen it all (different shapes and sizes, intersex, etc).

So, it does serve a purpose, and they are not doing it to invade your privacy.

Canuckgirl97 said:
I will go and do it as far as I can personally accept it. A"split second", as one of you said, is not acceptable for me. It's not only about the duration, it's about justification and I don't see how it's 100% justified to do that simply for immigration. We're not aliens, we have the same body as Canadians. So why do it.

I know that if you want to come to my country or generally Europe, you wouldn't even need a medical exam. But thank you anyway for your answers!

Tocanadawego

Apr 19, 2015
Nepal
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06/10/2015
AOR Received.
06/10/2015
Med's Done....
12-12-2105
Passport Req..
17-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
13-02-2017
LANDED..........
04-03-2017
I cannot imagine why there would be a need for them to look at your private areas.

You wear a robe the whole time and the only time you need to expose your chest is during the xray, but even then you are alone in the room. As others have pointed out, the rest of the tests are bloodwork and urin samples, and you are dressed for those the whole time, and given your privacy.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
So I really do not understand the OPs issue as she implies parents are emigrating to Canada so assume if they are Swiss Citizens they would also have had to go through a medical. If so surely the mother would have put the OPs mind at rest that a medical to a degree is only as invasive as past medical history and nothing to really be concerned about. As other posters have said there are things in life that we all might not like even something as simple as going to the dentist but in the end have to look at the bigger picture, dentist regularly or no teeth which do you chose ? Here a medical with a trained medical professional , and am sure the OP can find a female doctor on the list, or no medical and the OP stays in their home country whilst parents are in Canada. Seems a no brainer to me and the OP has implied they would attend a medical if their decision for a medical issue, so make it a decision Canada or not Canada simple.

Canuckgirl97

Apr 3, 2016
So I really do not understand the OPs issue as she implies parents are emigrating to Canada so assume if they are Swiss Citizens they would also have had to go through a medical. If so surely the mother would have put the OPs mind at rest that a medical to a degree is only as invasive as past medical history and nothing to really be concerned about. As other posters have said there are things in life that we all might not like even something as simple as going to the dentist but in the end have to look at the bigger picture, dentist regularly or no teeth which do you chose ? Here a medical with a trained medical professional , and am sure the OP can find a female doctor on the list, or no medical and the OP stays in their home country whilst parents are in Canada. Seems a no brainer to me and the OP has implied they would attend a medical if their decision for a medical issue, so make it a decision Canada or not Canada simple.

I'm definitely not staying at home, because I can get a study permit without ever having a medical exam. However, my parents will get Permanent Residence right away because of their jobs and I would get it too, because of them. I could stay in Canada on a study permit, for the 4 years I'll study there...but the problem is that I would need Permanent Residence after that, in order to stay. And that (thankfully not the study permit) would then require the medical exam

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Canuckgirl97 said:
I will go and do it as far as I can personally accept it. A"split second", as one of you said, is not acceptable for me. It's not only about the duration, it's about justification and I don't see how it's 100% justified to do that simply for immigration. We're not aliens, we have the same body as Canadians. So why do it.

I know that if you want to come to my country or generally Europe, you wouldn't even need a medical exam. But thank you anyway for your answers!
A medical exam is required for immigration to ensure you don't have any medical conditions that will place a burden on Canada's health care or social care system. Medicals are a stardard part of the immigration process for most countries (including Europe). I've had several friends immigrate to various parts of Europe and a medical was mandatory for them as well. Canada is no different.

Assuming you are 18 years old or younger, you must complete a medical in order for your parents to be approved for permanent residency (if you do not complete a medical your parents' PR visas will be refused).

elfboots

Aug 7, 2014
Please don't worry, go to the medical and I'm sure it will be fine. As you say, as soon as you feel
uncomfortable you can say stop. We had ours done in the UK and nobody looked at our private parts!
The doctor just looked at eyes, ears, and very quickly prodded around stomach, and we were wearing
underwear and a hospital gown. You can ask to have a nurse present too if you like.
My children had it too and they were very nervous in case you had to be naked but it was fine.
Also when you book your medical, the clinic will give you instructions which should explain what will
happen.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Canuckgirl97 said:
I'm definitely not staying at home, because I can get a study permit without ever having a medical exam. However, my parents will get Permanent Residence right away because of their jobs and I would get it too, because of them. I could stay in Canada on a study permit, for the 4 years I'll study there...but the problem is that I would need Permanent Residence after that, in order to stay. And that (thankfully not the study permit) would then require the medical exam
look after you have done the 4 years study apply for a post grad work permit upto max 3 years, no medical required as like study permit still not PR but you put off the inevitable for nearly 7 years .Plus suggest you read very carefully about parents getting you PR, family sponsorship is not a clear cut thing once no longer a dependant assuming that may be reason you not on your parents initial PR application.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Bs65 said:
look after you have done the 4 years study apply for a post grad work permit upto max 3 years, no medical required as like study permit still not PR but you put off the inevitable for nearly 7 years .Plus suggest you read very carefully about parents getting you PR, family sponsorship is not a clear cut thing once no longer a dependant assuming that may be reason you not on your parents initial PR application.
Agreed. If the OP puts off getting PR until after she completes her Bachelors, she will no longer be classified as a dependent and won't be able to get PR through her parents. At that point she would need to qualify for PR on her own. Assuming she is 18 years or younger, best to get PR now along with her parents.

rajibsam

Jul 29, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canuckgirl97 said:
International student fees is almost 3 times of local students.

amanjpro

Star Member
Aug 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-12-2015
AOR Received.
21-12-2015
Passport Req..
13-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
27-05-2016
Canuckgirl97 said:

The same reason that one needs a visa to enter Switzerland, even though she is as human as Swiss people and she is not alien. As much as
Switzerland needs to protect its borders and deport Syrian refugees (even though they might die if they are deported to Syria), Canada needs
to protect their healthcare system and disallow unhealthy applicants. Do I agree in both cases? no, do I matter? no!

Canuckgirl97

Apr 3, 2016

Do I really get a work permit after studying there for 4 years? That would mean 7 years of Canada without having PR for sure?! That's a good perspective:)

And could it be that I don't need the medical exam when I apply for permanent residence after these 7 years, because then I already stayed in Canada so long?

ozlis

Oct 20, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canuckgirl97 said:
Do I really get a work permit after studying there for 4 years? That would mean 7 years of Canada without having PR for sure?! That's a good perspective:)

And could it be that I don't need the medical exam when I apply for permanent residence after these 7 years, because then I already stayed in Canada so long?
Unless they change the system, no - all PR channels require a medical.

I did my medical recently, all was done in a gown or fully clothed. At no point was it uncomfortable/embarrassing.

The medical requirement is Canada protecting it's own resources and interests, if it isn't something you agree with, perhaps look at moving to another country?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Canuckgirl97 said:

I don't mean to be rude but you are over-killing it. You are making mountains out of moles - there is no reason to be so paranoid. Like so many members have already suggested, you could easily find a female DMP. Moreover, for all female patients, a chaperone will be present at the time of the medical examination.

Planning to delay PR status by 7 years in hopes of skipping a medical test that is, in reality, practically non-invasive doesn't make sense to me. As indicated by other members, Canada needs to protect itself from 2 things - One is the possibility of an applicant having a dangerous disease and the other is to prevent the applicant from being a burden on the publicly funded healthcare system from the very start. These are the prime reasons behind the medical test.

Its simple - If you still do not want to undergo the medical test, then probably Canada is not for you.

Good luck and all the very best!

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
Canuckgirl97 said:

(PGWP) Post Grad work permit gives max of 3 years after graduation.

And not sure about Swiss citizens, but I do need a medical exam (I'm from medical required countries) when I get my PGWP after spending 6 years on study permit. You will need one when you obtain Permanent residency by any means. No exception.

I just did mine for PR and closed WP. All the doctor did was fill out some forms, listened to my lung, checks my eyesight, presses my stomach a little bit, then sent me to a lab to do X-ray and collect blood and urine sample. The forms asks for questions like if you have undergo surgery, your previous health history, etc. No exposure of private parts of your body. Nothing intrusive at all. In fact, I'm quite pissed by how little they do for what they charged me for.

Canadian government is not interested in your general health. They are interested in whether you carry infectious diseases and previous health concerns that puts Canadian public health safety in danger and healthcare system in stress. They look for things like TB, HIV+, heart diseases, etc.

I still can't fathom why you are repulsive to immigration medical exam.