+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

American Visiting Canadian Girlfriend

pettar2462

Jan 25, 2016
Hi All!

I'm sure this has been asked so many times, but I was not having much luck finding anything in the search section, and hoping to get some clarification here.

My Canadian girlfriend and I have been officially dating for a year and three months, and have been been doing short trips back and forth to Calgary and Seattle during this time (it's usually every 50 days between these trips. We skype a lot haha). The longest one of these trips has been was about two weeks last summer and it was mainly a camping and hiking trip in Alberta with some friends. I had no problems going through border services in Calgary.

Here is the question: I'm planning on heading up to Calgary in two weeks and hoping to visit for two months, and to see if I (we - plan on getting married at some point) want to start the temporary residency process and live happily ever after, and will come back to Seattle to start that process. I'm curious what I'm going to need to do to convince border services that I plan on returning to the states after the two months are up without them freaking out and yelling at me. And I'm incredibly nervous they are just going to turn me away (I've read a lot of horror stories on here). I'm only bringing what I need for that two month stay in my suitcase.

I'm currently a full-time contracting graphic designer for a company here in Seattle, and have been working for them for a year and half. They have agreed to keep me on, working remotely for them while on this two month test trip (they have no offices in Canada). I also have a handful of American clients I do work for on my free time, and that money goes into my american bank. I have sufficient amount of funds I can also show them. And I rent from a friend here in Seattle.

1. Do I state at border services that I'm visiting my GF for two months to see if we want to pursue temporary residency to continue our relationship?
2. What do I need to show proof, if any, that I know this is a visit and plan on returning to Seattle?
3. Since I'm renting from my friend, should I have her write a letter saying I'm renting from her?
4. How much should I actually disclose to the agent? I know that anything can throw them off.
5. Would a return plane ticket help convince them?
6. My GF is actually flying down to Seattle a few days before we both head up to Calgary, for a concert, do we go through border services together or separate when we get into Calgary?

Basically I want to go about doing this right and legally without raising any flags. Sidenote: I get nervous going through border patrol no matter what, so I'm already a nervous wreck thinking about going through in two weeks for a longer stay. And hoping any advice I can get will help me be prepared for what will happen. I appreciate and am grateful for any advice.

Cheers!

sokosan

Aug 6, 2015
1. Just tell them you are visiting your gf for 2 months. Say you managed to get a long vacation.
2. Often they don't ask, it is not strictly required to have a return ticket with you, but it can help (it's not rock-solid proof, border officials are not dumb and know that you can cancel/reschedule flights :) ).
3. I doubt they will ask anything about how you rent your apartment in Seattle - documentation like this is usually required when applying for a TRV (which Americans don't need obviously), not at the border
4. As much as they ask without lying. If they don't ask - don't tell. For example, I would certainly NOT tell them about your remote working arrangements. First off, that's a bit of a legal grey area. I would think it's not illegal (as someone said here, it's like reading work emails on your vacation), but it could be interpreted as working illegally in Canada. Saying something like "I'm gonna work here remotely" without a work permit in your hand is a HUGE RED FLAG. Do not mention the word "work" :)
5. see #2
6. You will have to separate since residents go through a different line from visitors, at least the airport in Toronto works this way (I'm guessing Calgary is the same).

Just relax (I know it's hard when you have a possibly judgmental possibly grumpy border officer in front of you, it's easy to feel at that moment like your entire life's plans depend on his/her mood, and get intimidated, I know exactly how you feel), act normally, answer questions, and avoid saying things like "work" and "staying permanently" :)

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
sokosan said:
I would think it's not illegal (as someone said here, it's like reading work emails on your vacation), but it could be interpreted as working illegally in Canada. Saying something like "I'm gonna work here remotely" without a work permit in your hand is a HUGE RED FLAG. Do not mention the word "work" :)
What is forbidden is working for a Canadian employer on a TRV without a work permit. No issue when he is working remotely for a foreign employer from his own country while in Canada.