+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

American moving to Canada

monkeygirl

Jan 18, 2008
Hi Everyone.... This has probably been posted so many times, but here goes. I am a Canadian woman and have been dating a New Yorker for a few years. He has a very good job in New York, and wants to keep it. His employer says he is fine to live in Canada, and continue to work in New York. We are both very close to the border. My guy travels across daily, to visit me. I go there as well. He wants to start looking into living in Canada, permanently,with me.
Eventually we want to marry, in the next year or so. I do have a good job here in Canada.

I know it can be a long process, and that's fine. What we don't want, during the process, is any trouble at the Border. We want both of us to be able to cross freely as we have been doing so, until the time comes that he is legal to live in Canada. I was thinking dual citizenship...not sure. We were considering seeing an Immigration lawyer in the Niagara Falls area, but maybe it's fairly simple and we don't need to waste the money. Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Lucky11

Star Member
Dec 4, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
it is very easy for americans who want to move to canada and vice versa. just see the official immigration site of canada

sogwap

Feb 18, 2010
Indiana
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Lucky11 said:
it is very easy for americans who want to move to canada and vice versa. just see the official immigration site of canada
Easy?

True, in most cases it easier than coming from other countries.
Also, its relatively easy to go across the boarder, spend money, Etc.... but moving and working (gaining legal status) takes time.

Be prepared to take year or more to become PR.

mylota

Mar 16, 2010
when he applies for PR he wont have any problem crossing the border to see you. This is because canada allows dual intent unlike the US. If you apply for US immigrant visa, say, he sponsors you under the fiancee category, you may experience problems getting into the US before the conclusion of your case

Good luck

sogwap

Feb 18, 2010
Indiana
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mylota said:
when he applies for PR he wont have any problem crossing the border to see you. This is because canada allows dual intent unlike the US. If you apply for US immigrant visa, say, he sponsors you under the fiancee category, you may experience problems getting into the US before the conclusion of your case

Good luck
What is "Dual Intent"?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dual intent is accepting that today you may just be coming to visit and not planning to overstay in Canada even though you have an application in process for PR.

As for the US/Canadian couple, apply for Nexus cards to make your border crossings easier for the time being. Dual citizenship is a long term process so it would not really help you with your border crossings right now.