+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

American Conjugal Sponsorship

tgodbold

May 23, 2014
My partner and I (he is Canadian) are looking to sponsor me into Canada. Because I am in a Same Sex Marriage in the USA but live in a state that does not recognize it I can not get divorced. My Canadian partner and I therefore can not get married. He and I are engaged and have our lives dependent on one another. My partner is bared from the USA for 5 years plus lifetime bar. I am living with him in Canada since December 2013 and we are signing a lease in Montreal for a year together next month. I do return to the states frequently for my work which is heavy on travel. I do want to obtain PR status and eventually become a Canadian Citizen. Are we correct in thinking that Conjugal Sponsorship is the best way to achieve our goals.

Zarilenth

Oct 18, 2013
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-01-2014
File Transfer...
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
01-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
23-06-2014; COPR received 27-06-2014
LANDED..........
30-07-2014
If you are living together now, I would suggest waiting until you've been together for a year (and have a lot of proof to show you've been living together for that year) and apply common law. Might be better for you.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
what does living in a state that doesn't recognize same sex marriage have anything to do with getting a divorce? i don't see what one thing has to do with the other?

even though your partner is banned from the us, and you live in a state that doesn't recognize same sex marriages, you are able to be with them in CAnada, so there's no barrier to you being together and living as common law, so i don't think you will be successful with a conjugal relationship. conjugal and common law are completely separate sponsorships.

tgodbold

May 23, 2014
Well the divorce laws in the USA vary by state....so do the marriage laws...so you have to live in a state that recognizes the marriage in order to receive a divorce from there. For example I was married in Vermont....they don't have a residency requirement to get married...they do however have a 12 month residency requirement to get divorced. My state of residence Florida does not recognize Same Sex marriage therefore will not grant a divorce for something they don't even recognize.

tgodbold

May 23, 2014
Zarilenth said:
If you are living together now, I would suggest waiting until you've been together for a year (and have a lot of proof to show you've been living together for that year) and apply common law. Might be better for you.
Well we are unsure of the "living" together as I am here on a "visitors" visa...I don't tell the boarder people that I am living here as I am on a visitors visa...how does that effect the common law process? Just wondering...don't want to do anything outside the law.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
tgodbold said:
Well we are unsure of the "living" together as I am here on a "visitors" visa...I don't tell the boarder people that I am living here as I am on a visitors visa...how does that effect the common law process? Just wondering...don't want to do anything outside the law.
as a commonlaw couple, you have to prove cohabitation for at least 1 year - this includes shared lease, shared bank accounts, beneficiaries on life insurance, and especially for the canadian - filing taxes as commonlaw.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
tgodbold said:
Well the divorce laws in the USA vary by state....so do the marriage laws...so you have to live in a state that recognizes the marriage in order to receive a divorce from there. For example I was married in Vermont....they don't have a residency requirement to get married...they do however have a 12 month residency requirement to get divorced. My state of residence Florida does not recognize Same Sex marriage therefore will not grant a divorce for something they don't even recognize.
oh ok, that makes sense. damn republican states! I'm from CT, so you know, i'm not a republican. :)

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
tgodbold said:
Did you check all the other states, and see in ones where same-sex marriage is legal can they do a legal divorce without satisfying a residency requirement?

Or could you get a divorce in Canada?

kafka khaos

Star Member
Feb 19, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tgodbold said:
Its not a big problem. You can get a visa extention for another 6 months. and you can apply inland once you are commonlaw and continue to get visa extensions. They usually arent too picky about it, especially people from visa-exempt countries like USA. Applying commonlaw is probably your best bet. You can also apply outland and still live in Canada during the process, outland is usually faster.