+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Am I free to travel when I have applied for citizenship?

BritinCNDA

Dec 26, 2013
In another years time I will be able to apply for Canadian citizenship, after spending 3 years as a permanent resident present in Canada. I own and occupy a property in Montreal and have a full-time job in a Canadian company.

My question is: when I submit my citizenship application (having met the requirements) will I be free to travel or even reside outside Canada as I please?

This is important to me as there some work opportunities abroad but it appears it currently takes up to 2.5 years to receive your passport.

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
You can leave Canada as many time are you like however you need to maintain your PR status (2 years of physical residence out of 5 years); also if you are leaving Canada for more than 2 weeks, you have to notify CIC since they may send your a test invitation etc.

BritinCNDA

Dec 26, 2013
So essentially, until you have your passport in your hand, you are obliged to live as a permanent resident?

manianz47

Sep 15, 2008
As indicated earlier, you should maintain the PR status at the time of Citizenship application as well as during the Citizenship Test/Oath
However it is not mandatory to be physically present with in Canada. You need to maintain the PR status

BritinCNDA

Dec 26, 2013
Thanks, very helpful.

Whilst understanding they did not expect the current backlog times, I do wish CIC would make these kind of added constraints to getting a passport public. I wonder how many professional people in their prime earning years would emigrate if they thought it could take 5-6 years (of constrained travel) to get a passport...? Maybe some thought should be given to fast tracking passports for those with post-grad degrees and valuable skills. Just a thought, it would be a great help for those of us who work on contract.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Something like this will never happen in Canada. Providing select individuals with access to passports faster based on their education / experience / profession would be viewed as discriminatory and elitist.

If the rules ever change, they will change for everyone.

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
CIC is transparent when it comes to processing times. I know they are long and frustrating but that is the reality that we can not control unfortunately.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
BritinCNDA said:
Whilst understanding they did not expect the current backlog times, I do wish CIC would make these kind of added constraints to getting a passport public. I wonder how many professional people in their prime earning years would emigrate if they thought it could take 5-6 years (of constrained travel) to get a passport...?
Staying 3 years to be able to apply though, is among the shortest I have heard, so you have to offset that against the long processing time. In other countries, it tends to be 4-8 years you have to stay before you can even apply.

Canada doesn't gain anything from handing out passports to people who aren't intending to stay either.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
manianz47 said:
As indicated earlier, you should maintain the PR status at the time of Citizenship application as well as during the Citizenship Test/Oath
However it is not mandatory to be physically present with in Canada. You need to maintain the PR status
Note that while it is not a requirement, being in Canada for the whole process will likely reduce the risk of getting something called a Residency Questionnaire (RQ). This is basically an extra form that CIC can request where you have to provide supporting documentation that you meet the residency requirements for citizenship. The issue with the RQ is the extremely slow processing time for this additional form. It can add YEARS to the processing time of a citizenship application.

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
Leon,

I agree.

Most countries require at least 4 years such as Australia if not more to reside before one can apply for citizenship.

Finland is six years and US is five years.

BritinCNDA

Dec 26, 2013
Thanks for all the comments, very helpful. It is also interesting to hear different view points.

3 years is a relatively short period compared to some other places but the requirement to be physically in the country is what I find restrictive, I am prepared to pay the taxes and keep a house and my family here but would appreciate the freedom to travel to earn my pay during this period.

The process whereby CIC treats all applications the same is in my opinion a folly, although I agree with scylla that I cannot see them changing it. If you want to see the effects of uncontrolled immigration look at the UK and France. The social and medial services are collapsing under sheer weight of numbers and the non-professional citizens are fighting for jobs with ever lower wages due to the huge influx of unskilled immigrants, a bitter pill to swallow when your taxes are paying for the immigration in the first place.