+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Am I allowed to do an internship in the summer without Co-op Work permit ?!

Keyjoe23

Jul 31, 2015
Hello,

Happy new year to all of you.

Today I was discussing with the responsible of internships in my department at the university and I was told that I do not need a Co-op Work Permit if I want to do an internship during the summer since as an international student I am allowed to work up to 20hrs/week during academic sessions and full time during breaks, and summer is considered as a break so I can do my credited internship using my study permit since I would be able to work up to 40hrs/week.

I asked so why there is a Co-Op work permit, I was told that it refers to students who want to do internship during winter or fall sessions since they are not considered as a break.

Can anybody EXPERIENCED confirm this ? Because I have been dealing with a work problem before ( Illegal ) And fixed it with CIC, so I do not want to repeat a mistake.

Thank you

rish261193

Star Member
Aug 31, 2016
Hey sorry I can't answer your question. But this has confused me a little bit. I have a study work permit, so since all the international students can work upto 20hrs a day, m I eligible to do a 40hr work week??

Papa Bomboy

Jan 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They are right. You only need a coop permit if your work extends to the fall or winter semester.
In my university days, guys that wanted to go for internship that was more than 4 months typically took the coop work permit route. This was because the job they accepted started in May and ended in December.
The rest of us that accepted summer work terms ( may - august) didn't need the coop work permit.
And the same rules applies - 20 hours per week in the regular term and full time during the holidays.

YoussefZaky said:
Hello,

Today I was discussing with the responsible of internships in my department at the university and I was told that I do not need a Co-op Work Permit if I want to do an internship during the summer since as an international student I am allowed to work up to 20hrs/week during academic sessions and full time during breaks, and summer is considered as a break so I can do my credited internship using my study permit since I would be able to work up to 40hrs/week.

I asked so why there is a Co-Op work permit, I was told that it refers to students who want to do internship during winter or fall sessions since they are not considered as a break.

Can anybody EXPERIENCED confirm this ? Because I have been dealing with a work problem before ( Illegal ) And fixed it with CIC, so I do not want to repeat a mistake.

Thank you

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

YoussefZaky said:
Hello,

Thank you

You need a co-op work permit for any 'credited' work program which is a part of studies. Otherwise credit wont be in count towards PGWP.

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Papa Bomboy said:
They are right. You only need a coop permit if your work extends to the fall or winter semester.
In my university days, guys that wanted to go for internship that was more than 4 months typically took the coop work permit route. This was because the job they accepted started in May and ended in December.
The rest of us that accepted summer work terms ( may - august) didn't need the coop work permit.
And the same rules applies - 20 hours per week in the regular term and full time during the holidays.

1. Irrespective of any months, you need a co-op work permit for a work (including paid/unpaid practicums) which is a part of curriculum (as long as school issue a co-op work permit letter)
2. If you are taking a work experience (which is not a course requirement in terms of credits earned), you are good without a co-op wp.

Keyjoe23

Jul 31, 2015
Now have have 2 different answers :)

Update : I asked some friends who did internships during summer and they told me they did not have to get co op as co op work permit is designed to those who want to do internship during fall and winter.

Yet other websites like Mcgill University stated that Co op is necessary for any internship even during the smmer. :mad:

Keyjoe23

Jul 31, 2015
J5M said:
Hi,

You need a co-op work permit for any 'credited' work program which is a part of studies. Otherwise credit wont be in count towards PGWP.
What does the PGWP has to do with your credits ? I think they only check that you were full time student and respected your study permit conditions AND got graduated from a university no matter what courses you took. All what they want to see is your certificate.

I called CIC now, the agent told me that I do not need a Co Op if the internship is during the summer (But she answered so fast and I felt that she doesn't have experience because she asked for my Email to send me information about Co-ops, haven't received any Emails yet).

Papa Bomboy

Jan 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
YoussefZaky, the difference between my answer and J5M is credited internship as you specified.

The answers provided below assumes the student is going for a work term that is part of a curriculum. Although, the ultimate answer lies with your department.

J5M said:
Hi,

1. Irrespective of any months, you need a co-op work permit for a work (including paid/unpaid practicums) which is a part of curriculum (as long as school issue a co-op work permit letter)
2. If you are taking a work experience (which is not a course requirement in terms of credits earned), you are good without a co-op wp.

Keyjoe23

Jul 31, 2015
The internship is in the curriculum but not obligatory, which means I am free to choose between thid course or another. It's not Coop BUT will be credited !

Another question, I need to extrnd my study permit, what's better to do, apply now for Co op work permit to guarantee time and then apply for study permito extention when I get a new CAQ ?

Or wait for CAQ and then apply for SP extension and mention that I would need a Co op permit ?

Why is this question ?

Well cause Work Permits can go up to 14 weeks processing time.

While study permit extension is around 30 days, but I need another 30 days before to get my CAQ.

But in that case, If I extend my SP and at the same time apply for Co op, will I get it with thmy study permit after 30 days ? Or the Co op work permit would take 14 weeks since its in the Work permits category and has a seperayed processing time in that case ?

raman15

Jan 15, 2018
i have co-op work permit but did not get any internship with any company. So can i now work 40 hours as regular labor job ?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
i have co-op work permit but did not get any internship with any company. So can i now work 40 hours as regular labor job ?
As you are not studying, you are not allowed to work at all. If you do, it will be illegal.

Dsklite12

Jul 27, 2018
Hi, I just talked with my university's immigration advisor and called IRCC. My university advisor says that it's a gray area and that IRCC understands this. He also said it's very unlikely to affect your future work permit applications if you already did a summer co-op/internship (whether it's credited or not). As for the IRCC call, the agent told me that it depends on your hours of work. If your hours of work is allowed under your study permit (eg. full time off campus in the summer, 20 hrs off campus in the academic year), then it's your choice to use the study permit or co-op permit. However, if the hours of work exceeds what's allowed on your study permit (eg. full time in the fall academic term), then you'll need the co-op permit to work. Think of the co-op permit as an expansion to the conditions of your study permit, rather than a limit.