+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

am I a resident of Canada or South Africa - help please ?

jackiegerry

Oct 17, 2009
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-11-2009
Hi,

This is my first post...My daughter is a Canadian Citizen living with my husband and I. SHe recently visited SOuth Africa, fell in love and Married a SOuth-African Citizen. They are now embarquing in the process to sponsor and apply for permanent residency in Canada. She left Canada in February to be with her then Fiance, she married him in June and now they started the process (they got all their documents in order and are ready to file).

My question is: is she considered a resident of South Africa ? or Canada when filling out all the forms....since she has physically lived in SOuth AFrica for 8 months ?

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sounds like your daughter has no Canadian address in which case she should list her address in South Africa as her residential address.

Out of curiosity, why isn't your daughter asking all these questions herself??

Sorry: I just re-read your post again. At first I thought you were in South Africa. Now it seems like you are in Canada (??) Can you clarify.

jackiegerry

Oct 17, 2009
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-11-2009
I am asking because I offered to try to find answers to her questions, we are both looking at every avenu to make sure the forms are correctly filled.

My Daughter is a student normally living in Canada, she still officially lives in my house in Canada. She left to be with her husband in SOuth AFrica initially on a travel visa (from February to July) she then applied for a temporary resident visa in SOuth africa so she can stay a while longer with him before returning home to her studies (hopefully with her husband if the whole process completes soon).

I called the Immigration hotline to ask them if she was in fact to fill in the forms as a Canadian resident (even if she was physically in SOuth Africa). They told me YES that she was to be considered living in Canada.

I just want to be 100% sure we fill the forms correctly, I dont want to mislead anyone or do anything wrong.

Thanks for your help

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ok sorry, I thought initially that she was living with you in South Africa.

Yes, she should put her address here in Canada as her residence since technically she lives here and she is essentially a tourist in South Africa.

You (and she) should be aware of the processing times for applications from South Africa which you can view here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/05-fc-spouses.asp#africa Currently, processing time in Pretoria is anywhere from 4 to 12 months.

jackiegerry

Oct 17, 2009
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-11-2009
Outloand Pretoria processing times

Hi,

Does anyone know why the pretoria outland processing times went from 5 months (in June 20101) to 17 months (now) ? We need to make a decision on submitting inland or outland and the biggest factor for our situation is the overall processing time. As of today, both in-land and outland would seem to tbe EXACTLY the same amount of time to process.

Thanks for your reply

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Re: Outloand Pretoria processing times

Hi

jackiegerry said:
Hi,

Does anyone know why the pretoria outland processing times went from 5 months (in June 20101) to 17 months (now) ? We need to make a decision on submitting inland or outland and the biggest factor for our situation is the overall processing time. As of today, both in-land and outland would seem to tbe EXACTLY the same amount of time to process.

Thanks for your reply
1. As a Canadian citizen she can sponsor a spouse while residing outside Canada. She has to included a letter stating that she will return to Canada once her spouse receives his visa. Also include plans for accommodation work. She would use this package. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp
2. It highly unlikely that her spouse would get a TRV (visitor visa) with an application in process as his intention is to remain permanently, rather than visit.

Perfect

Star Member
Mar 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 11, 2010
Doc's Request.
October 5, 2010
AOR Received.
October 5, 2010
File Transfer...
September 10, 2010
Med's Done....
February 20, 2010
Hi,

heres the link to applications processed in Pretoria, you may find it helpful.
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t53328.0.html

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Re: Outloand Pretoria processing times

PMM said:
Hi

2. It highly unlikely that her spouse would get a TRV (visitor visa) with an application in process as his intention is to remain permanently, rather than visit.
Hi PMM:

I agree with your logic. Yet the policy of "dual intent" seems to allow for a would-be permanent resident coming to Canada for a short visit.

How does a visa officer decide whether a TRV applicant (with a PR application in process) will exit Canada on time?