+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Already applied for Study permit -> enter with tourist visa?

Danysahnes

Jul 16, 2013
Hi guys,

I am from Germany and applied for a study permit on 20th of July. Unfortunately the visa offices went on strike around that time so I guess this and my late application are the reasons I still have no answer.

My problem now is : My studies beginn on the 3rd of september so I will have to fly around next week! Is it possible to enter as a visitor first and reenter later to get my study permit? Or will they refuse entry at the border?

Please help :(

Daniel

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You should be able to enter as a tourist. But whatever you do, do not start attending classes until you have the actual study permit. If you do, you'll be studying illegally and this could create big problems for you later.

Also, what will you do if CIC instructs you to defer to a later start date? If processing isn't completed in time, CIC will sometimes instruct students to defer their start date to the next term. What will you do if you're already in Canada and then CIC tells you that you can't start until January? Just something to think about.

Danysahnes

Jul 16, 2013
Okay, but if I understood it right you can study one term (up to 6 month) without a study permit cant you?

Hmh okay sad to hear they can tell me to start later.. The Problem is I already studied 2 Terms in Germany and I am doing an exchange that my home university says can only be done now and all the dates are given. I really regret that I applied that late..

But whats most important for me right now is that I wont get sent back to Germany directly at the border. You don't think this will happen right?

Thanks for your help!

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Anything can happen at the border.

You can study for 6 months in Canada without a study permit if your course is 6 months or less. If your course is more than 6 months you must have a study permit from day one.

Contact your visa center to find out what is going on. It could possibly speed up the process.

Also, talk to the school. Some schools are letting international students start later because of the strike.

Danysahnes

Jul 16, 2013
Okay I understand.

Question is: what is my visa center? I applied directly at cic online with a fully online application?
I already sent a mail to vienna and called in Germany, they told me to contact Vienna.

Alright thank you I will contact my school to ask them what will happen if my study permit is not there on time.

Thanks for all the answers so far!

dipta

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2013
Bangladesh
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Onlline 09-04-2013
File Transfer...
09-04-2013
Med's Request
21-04-2013
Med's Done....
22-04-2013
Passport Req..
07-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-05-2013
LANDED..........
24-08-2013
Danysahnes said:
Okay I understand.

Question is: what is my visa center? I applied directly at cic online with a fully online application?
I already sent a mail to vienna and called in Germany, they told me to contact Vienna.

Alright thank you I will contact my school to ask them what will happen if my study permit is not there on time.

Thanks for all the answers so far!
Online applications are processed on your home country's CHC.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
Danysahnes said:
Okay. Last one : what does CHC exactly mean?
Canadian High Commission

dipta

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2013
Bangladesh
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Onlline 09-04-2013
File Transfer...
09-04-2013
Med's Request
21-04-2013
Med's Done....
22-04-2013
Passport Req..
07-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-05-2013
LANDED..........
24-08-2013
Can't you log in?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Danysahnes said:
Okay, but if I understood it right you can study one term (up to 6 month) without a study permit cant you?
No - you can't. Unfortunately you've misunderstood the rule.

You can only study without a study permit for up to 6 months if the ENTIRE course of study is 6 months or less. You are coming to attend university - so I'm assuming the entire program is at least one full year if not several years. If that's the case, you cannot start studying until you have a study permit because your studies do not meet the study permit exclusion criteria. If you start before you have a permit, you'll be studying illegally which makes you subject to removal from Canada.

fernan_gr

Jan 17, 2013
Hi,

Im from Spain and I find myself in your same situation. I have long wondered about this, and so far all I have found are negative answers;

Someone in this forum wrote:

"I just attended McGill's online orientation and they specifically warned students about going to canada first as tourists. At the point of entry you'll be asked about the purpose of visiting canada. If you answer studying, you'll be turned back because your permit is still pending decision. If you'll answer as a tourist, you'll be also turned back as they will cross check your name and passport and find a pending student application on their database."

Also, on the website of the Canadian Consulate of Austria it is mentioned:

"Can I enter Canada as a visitor before my study permit has been issued?
If you are a visa-exempt national, we cannot hinder you to travel to Canada before obtaining your work/study permit. However, we strongly advise against it. You may be refused entry into Canada. A study permit can only be issued upon entering Canada from outside. Even if we issue you with a permit letter, you will, nonetheless, have to leave Canada and re-enter to have your study permit validated."

My flight is leaving on friday 30 and I don't know what to do either. I really need the study permit to be given to me... :(

What have you decided to do?

sophiagold

Aug 20, 2013
Hi
I saw this infographic (I stuck the link down below) on a blog that I like to read .... it is written by an immigration lawyer in Canada.. it indicates that you may need a visitor visa as well as a student visa depending on your country of origin. If this is the case I can't see why CIC (Citizenship & Immigration Canada) would penalize you for obtaining a visitor visa first! Especially due to the strike!!
Maybe it wouldn't hurt to make a quick call to an immigration lawyer and get some advice?

I hope it all works out for you!! Keep us posted :)

*** sorry I can't post links ... I guess because I am new here.. Anyway the blog is on visa place just google it

Sophia 8)

Ronnydwar

Nov 16, 2018
Hi All,

I am from India, I have applied for study permit on 27th November 2018 for January 2019 Intake(already started) through paper visa. Its been 60days since my application but no response from CHC.

Now my college had deferred my course to September 2019.

What best that I can do at this stage?