+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

All PhDs working in US now will get ITA?

canadadreamming

Star Member
Mar 2, 2015
I have a friend with PhD in US and his visa is expiring soon, I am suggesting him to apply for EE but since now EE only accept above 600 it is not certain for him at all. Anyone working in USA right now with a PhD will most likely have a score above 500, does that mean EE this year everyone in US will be invited? This would be a great opportunities for people there

canadadreamming

Star Member
Mar 2, 2015
AndreasChen said:
How does your "most likely" work? :-X
If you have a PhD in US, your IELTS can easily be CLB10, most PhD will be around 26 when they graduate, working for a few years and they are still less than 30, their education score is max. My friend did a quick apply and he got 530 I think, so it is not difficult at all to be selected.

pixelfrontier

Star Member
Oct 13, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A PhD from the US as in someone who's never worked in Canada?

600 is the max number of points you can get without a LMIA/PNP.
24 is the number of points you get if you speak perfect French.
600 - 24 = 576.

80 is the max number of points you can get for 5 years of Canadian work experience. 1 year only gets you 40, and 2 years gets you 53.
576 - 80 = 496.

Foreign work experience gives you a max of 50 points but if you don't have Canadian work experience only 3+ years will get you 50 points. A PhD aged less than 30 will probably have 1 or 2 years of work experience tops (which only gives you 25 points).
496 - 25 = 474.

canadadreamming

Star Member
Mar 2, 2015
pixelfrontier said:
A PhD from the US as in someone who's never worked in Canada?

600 is the max number of points you can get without a LMIA/PNP.
24 is the number of points you get if you speak perfect French.
600 - 24 = 576.

80 is the max number of points you can get for 5 years of Canadian work experience. 1 year only gets you 40, and 2 years gets you 53.
576 - 80 = 496.

Foreign work experience gives you a max of 50 points but if you don't have Canadian work experience only 3+ years will get you 50 points. A PhD aged less than 30 will probably have 1 or 2 years of work experience tops (which only gives you 25 points).
496 - 25 = 474.
PhD less than 30 can easily get more than 3+ years of foreign experience, PHD in US are often offered TA or RA jobs which they worked for 4 years. This profile is typical and get more than 500 pts: 32 yrs old, phd, 6 yrs foreign experience, band 10 english

Auone

Aug 20, 2013
London, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP_Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
TA and RA jobs during Full Time Study cannot be counted as work experience as per cic requirements for work experience. To give you a clue, heres my profile:
Qualification: PhD
Foreign work experience: 1 year
Canada work experience: 1.5 years
IELTS: L: 9; Reading: 8.5; W: 7.5; S: 8 (So I get maximum possible marks for first language)

If I were single, the maximum i would have gotten would have been 523. I dont understand how your friend got 530 without Canadian experience

pixelfrontier

Star Member
Oct 13, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadadreamming said:
PhD less than 30 can easily get more than 3+ years of foreign experience, PHD in US are often offered TA or RA jobs which they worked for 4 years. This profile is typical and get more than 500 pts: 32 yrs old, phd, 6 yrs foreign experience, band 10 english
TA or RA jobs = not valid for CIC.
Also you can't get more than 500 points with no Canadian work experience and no knowledge of French, as I explained above.
Not to mention someone who's 32 years old wouldn't get the max number of points for age.

fl_pie

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
10-04-2015
canadadreamming said:
I have a friend with PhD in US and his visa is expiring soon, I am suggesting him to apply for EE but since now EE only accept above 600 it is not certain for him at all. Anyone working in USA right now with a PhD will most likely have a score above 500, does that mean EE this year everyone in US will be invited? This would be a great opportunities for people there
First of all, like explained above, even if such a candidate has a PhD and a perfect age/English score, he or she would also need at least 1 year of Canadian experience or at least some knowledge of French to go above 500. Secondly, I don't think there are all that many PhDs in US who also want to move to Canada. Actually, from what I've read on this forum, it seems that most people, given a choice between US and Canada, would choose US, so it would take special circumstances (like an expiring visa) for somebody in the US to prefer Canada. And finally, how exactly is a PhD in US wishing to move to Canada different from a PhD from any other country wishing to move to Canada? The fact that he or she would probably have a reasonably high English score? I don't think it matters that much, there are other English-speaking countries, there are people with good knowledge of English in non-English speaking countries.

pixelfrontier

Star Member
Oct 13, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fl_pie said:
And finally, how exactly is a PhD in US wishing to move to Canada different from a PhD from any other country wishing to move to Canada? The fact that he or she would probably have a reasonably high English score? I don't think it matters that much, there are other English-speaking countries, there are people with good knowledge of English in non-English speaking countries.
Just another case of people from the US thinking they're the centre of the world, apparently.

If you think about it, too, a PhD gives you 150 points and a master's gives you 135. Someone with a master's and one year of foreign work experience will always fare better than a PhD with no valid work experience in the EE ranking system. Even someone with a bachelor's degree and only one year of Canadian work experience would also get a higher score. That's just how the ranking system is designed.

Be afraid, PhDs from the US with no work experience, be very afraid.

karenv

Jul 8, 2014
To be eligible, these PhDs must either eligible for FSW or CEC. If they don't have any work experience in Canada, they are not qualified for CEC. If they just fresh graduate from school, they are not qualified for FSW. So they may not be even eligible to apply. correct me if i am wrong!

D