+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ALL ABOUT GCMS - HOW TO ORDER, READ, & GENERAL QUESTIONS ANSWERED

Mike@2019

Oct 13, 2019
If you receive a 90 days extension, I heard there's a possibility that when your notes come, it could be outdated already. That is, it could have been generated 2-3 months back and therefore not showing the most recent activities.

Is this true @legalfalcon @caipsnotes ? If so, why don't they just send it out after generating it?

A lot of activities has happened on my accounts and I fear they will not be captured in my notes whenever I get it.

caipsnotes

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2020
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
If you receive a 90 days extension, I heard there's a possibility that when your notes come, it could be outdated already. That is, it could have been generated 2-3 months back and therefore not showing the most recent activities.

Is this true @legalfalcon @caipsnotes ? If so, why don't they just send it out after generating it?

A lot of activities has happened on my accounts and I fear they will not be captured in my notes whenever I get it.
Hi. If you receive a time extension ( 60 days is more common. Though some GCMS providers are experiencing chronic 90 days; why so - despite what the laws state the reason could be vexatious in nature) you will receive a notification within the first 30 days and it will clearly state the due date as well. The file can come before, on or after the due date. The notes are generated within the first few days (1-10 days) from when the its received by IRCC/CBSA; thereafter the notes languish awaiting review and redactions because of resource constraints

So, short answer - yes the information is stale by the time you receive it if a time extension has been taken. There isn't good alignment between procedures, staffing levels and sheer volume of requests being handled by IRCC which results in dysfunctional delays and lowers the utility of Gcms Notes. Given all this CBSA ATIP is still better managed vs IRCC. Granted that CBSA handles less requests vs IRCC but CBSA has a smaller staff to handle it.

A detailed comparison of IRCC vs CBSA here https://bit.ly/34nuJPu

A comprehensive guide to time extensions https://bit.ly/2NmpUjP

Last edited:

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016

Is this true @legalfalcon ? If so, why don't they just send it out after generating it?

The law is clear, and is stipulated in the Access to Information act and the manual. When a request is filed, it is entered in the system by the IRCC ATIP division to retrieve the records. When the records are retrieved (usually 1-2 weeks after the request is filed) it is as on that date when the data is captured, the GCMS notes are generated. However, before the notes can be released, they have to be vetted and appropriate redactions have to be made, which takes time and especially in October and November 2020, when there are second lockdowns, there were staffing issues and this created a lot of backlog across all business lines of IRCC. IRCC's staffing issues due to COVID were discussed in the meeting of the Parliamentary Committee on Immigration and Citizenship on December 2, 2020. Further Committee meetings were held on December 7, 2020 and December 9, 2020 to discuss the "Impact of COVID-19 on the Immigration System."

The whimsical idea of that some requests filed by others are vexatious, while requests filed by some 'special' people are not, is a bunch of baloney. If any request is vexatious then the federal agency has a right to have it cancelled by approaching the Office of the Information Commissioner of Canada (OIC). OIC in its opinions has clarified the criteria and can be read at https://www.oic-ci.gc.ca/en/information-commissioners-guidance/seeking-information-commissioners-approval-decline-act-access

Further, denying or obstructing a request to access is a punishable criminal offence.

IRCC has been facing delays in the release of information under the Access to Information Act since 2019 and this is why a systematic investigation was initiated by the OIC against IRCC. A final report of OIC is yet to be tabled before the Parliament. <https://www.oic-ci.gc.ca/en/resources/news-releases/information-commissioner-initiates-systemic-investigation-department>

Also OIC in many of its investigation reports against IRCC has held that such extensions are invalid. See my previous post #2,863

However, the information would be old when there is an extension, but as IRCC starts resuming it services, things will get back on track.

Also, there are proposals to provide more information on the MyCIC portal, which would decrease the need for GCMS notes for getting updates.

Last edited:

caipsnotes

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2020
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
ATIP is for more than Gcms Notes. What is Gcms Notes?

Report into Julie Payette's conduct at Rideau Hall finds toxic environment, public humiliations

Released under the Access to Information Act Wednesday night, the heavily redacted report details allegations from staff members of "yelling, screaming, aggressive conduct, demeaning comments and public humiliations."

See the ATIP report (pdf document)

Read the full article at
cbc.ca

Julie Payette resigned as governor general following reports that she presided over a toxic work environment at Rideau Hall.

ruan

Oct 28, 2019
I have the same and didn't get any email or anything to submit anything! Did you figure out what's this and what to do with it? Please response
I contacted IRCC and asked about that, but they didn't really mention anything about it, specifically, and just said that everything is in order. I then assumed it was nothing.

Mike@2019

Oct 13, 2019
Hi. If you receive a time extension ( 60 days is more common. Though some GCMS providers are experiencing chronic 90 days; why so - despite what the laws state the reason could be vexatious in nature) you will receive a notification within the first 30 days and it will clearly state the due date as well. The file can come before, on or after the due date. The notes are generated within the first few days (1-10 days) from when the its received by IRCC/CBSA; thereafter the notes languish awaiting review and redactions because of resource constraints

So, short answer - yes the information is stale by the time you receive it if a time extension has been taken. There isn't good alignment between procedures, staffing levels and sheer volume of requests being handled by IRCC which results in dysfunctional delays and lowers the utility of Gcms Notes. Given all this CBSA ATIP is still better managed vs IRCC. Granted that CBSA handles less requests vs IRCC but CBSA has a smaller staff to handle it.

A detailed comparison of IRCC vs CBSA here https://bit.ly/34nuJPu

A comprehensive guide to time extensions https://bit.ly/2NmpUjP
Thank you for your well explained answer.

Reactions: caipsnotes

Mike@2019

Oct 13, 2019
The law is clear, and is stipulated in the Access to Information act and the manual. When a request is filed, it is entered in the system by the IRCC ATIP division to retrieve the records. When the records are retrieved (usually 1-2 weeks after the request is filed) it is as on that date when the data is captured, the GCMS notes are generated. However, before the notes can be released, they have to be vetted and appropriate redactions have to be made, which takes time and especially in October and November 2020, when there are second lockdowns, there were staffing issues and this created a lot of backlog across all business lines of IRCC. IRCC's staffing issues due to COVID were discussed in the meeting of the Parliamentary Committee on Immigration and Citizenship on December 2, 2020. Further Committee meetings were held on December 7, 2020 and December 9, 2020 to discuss the "Impact of COVID-19 on the Immigration System."

The whimsical idea of that some requests filed by others are vexatious, while requests filed by some 'special' people are not, is a bunch of baloney. If any request is vexatious then the federal agency has a right to have it cancelled by approaching the Office of the Information Commissioner of Canada (OIC). OIC in its opinions has clarified the criteria and can be read at https://www.oic-ci.gc.ca/en/information-commissioners-guidance/seeking-information-commissioners-approval-decline-act-access

Further, denying or obstructing a request to access is a punishable criminal offence.

IRCC has been facing delays in the release of information under the Access to Information Act since 2019 and this is why a systematic investigation was initiated by the OIC against IRCC. A final report of OIC is yet to be tabled before the Parliament. <https://www.oic-ci.gc.ca/en/resources/news-releases/information-commissioner-initiates-systemic-investigation-department>

Also OIC in many of its investigation reports against IRCC has held that such extensions are invalid. See my previous post #2,863

However, the information would be old when there is an extension, but as IRCC starts resuming it services, things will get back on track.

Also, there are proposals to provide more information on the MyCIC portal, which would decrease the need for GCMS notes for getting updates.
Thank you for your well explained answer.

Reactions: legalfalcon

caipsnotes

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2020
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Government of Canada introduces further restrictions on international travel

Quick facts
  • Travellers entering Canada have a responsibility to make suitable arrangements for mandatory quarantine, which begins on the day they enter Canada. They are also required to submit COVID-19 related information electronically daily.
  • Failure to provide accurate information is an offence under the Quarantine Act. In addition, violating any quarantine or isolation instructions provided to travellers by a Screening Officer or quarantine officer when entering Canada is also an offence under the Quarantine Act and could lead to serious penalties, including six months in prison and/or $750,000 in fines.
  • PHAC currently contacts more than 6,500 travellers each day through phone calls, which verify their compliance with the mandatory isolation order.
  • As of January 26, 2021, 99% of the 48,682 interventions by law enforcement have resulted in compliance by travellers. However, in a minority of cases, verbal warnings, written warnings, tickets, and charges have been issued.
  • The Government of Canada is working directly with Aéroports de Montréal to offer voluntary testing on-site at the Montréal-Trudeau International Airport for arriving international travellers who wish to take a test before leaving the airport. This testing pilot project is in addition to those at Toronto’s Pearson International Airport and the Calgary International Airport.

See https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2021/01/government-of-canada-introduces-further-restrictions-on-international-travel.html

armaanwadhwa

Jun 30, 2017

Guys, I found this on the second page of my GCMS notes. Does anyone have any idea what the above date is? I got a GHOST UPDATE on 08th January 2021. Could this mean that the officer looked at my application keeping in mind the due date above? My complete timeline is in my signature.

caipsnotes

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2020
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY

Guys, I found this on the second page of my GCMS notes. Does anyone have any idea what the above date is? I got a GHOST UPDATE on 08th January 2021. Could this mean that the officer looked at my application keeping in mind the due date above? My complete timeline is in my signature.
RC means Responsibility Centre e.g. RC-6029: is New Delhi
You can see this and other codes used in Gcms Notes here http://bit.ly/36vPdGZ
Due date does not have much significance, it's systems generated to serve as a reminder but activity can happen well before and at times well after

Reactions: armaanwadhwa

armaanwadhwa

Jun 30, 2017
RC means Responsibility Centre e.g. RC-6029: is New Delhi
You can see this and other codes used in Gcms Notes here http://bit.ly/36vPdGZ
Due date does not have much significance, it's systems generated to serve as a reminder but activity can happen well before and at times well after
Yes looks like it as I got a GU on 8th January as Im waiting on my criminality to pass due to Stat Question.

Bica

Dec 29, 2020
Hi @legalfalcon @caipsnotes

Would like to seek your professional advice.
I got my GCMS notes and the eligibility was marked as "Review Required by Officer" by case processing agent, but at the end it was marked "Ready to Finalize" May I know anything I need to alert? Is it a good sign or bad sign for "Ready to Finalize"?

REVIEW TYPE: A11.2 - CASE PROCESSING AGENT APPLICATION: XXXXXXXX REGULATION: PNP: FSW,
2020-10-22 I have reviewed this application based upon the documents submitted by the applicant and the information contained in the file and note the following. RECOMMENDATION:***Review REQUIRED by Officer***
A11.2:
REVIEW REQUIRED R87: REVIEW REQUIRED R75: REVIEW REQUIRED R76: Selection Criteria - FSW POINTS: REVIEW REQUIRED R76: Selection Criteria - FUNDS: MEDICAL: ALL VALID Ready to Finalize

Last edited: