+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ALL ABOUT GCMS - HOW TO ORDER, READ, & GENERAL QUESTIONS ANSWERED

Jahlove2000

Star Member
Apr 4, 2020
Hello everyone,

I requested for my spouse GCMS notes back in October 2022 and received it in January 2023. However, it had only 25 pages while the previous notes received in June and September 2022, had almost 100 pages each).
I made the following observations:
* It shows it was last updated in mid-November 2022.
* The Eligibility Assessment section was missing.
* All agents code names were omitted.
* PAPER FILE part on page 2 and Secondary offices were missing.

It is my understanding that once a recent update is made(November 2022), it should be indicated on the file... for example ADR, file transfer to another LVO or whatever the case may be. Surprisingly, no movement can be seen on the notes.

This is an outland spousal sponsorship. I would truly appreciate it if anyone can give any insight on what should be expected.

Thank you

Roger Edmond

Oct 6, 2022
Hi @legalfalcon
appreciate your help in advance.
i ordered my GCMS via a firend of mine, who is a permanent resident, more than 30days ago.
but now, i just came to know, when submitting my application, identity proof of requester, such as PR card, is needed.
however, on the submission page, it writes that only the consent form is mandatory, so i did not bother to upload anything else.
i am worried whether my application is valid, and should i apply again?

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Hi @legalfalcon
appreciate your help in advance.
i ordered my GCMS via a firend of mine, who is a permanent resident, more than 30days ago.
but now, i just came to know, when submitting my application, identity proof of requester, such as PR card, is needed.
however, on the submission page, it writes that only the consent form is mandatory, so i did not bother to upload anything else.
i am worried whether my application is valid, and should i apply again?
PR card is not a mandatory document. If IRCC wants to confirm the requestor's status, they will ask for one.

Roger Edmond

Oct 6, 2022
PR card is not a mandatory document. If IRCC wants to confirm the requestor's status, they will ask for one.
Really appreciate your explanation. @legalfalcon
I have another question. While waiting my gcms notes, I tried calling ircc call center a few times, and the agents always said my eligibility was in progress, and other parameters passed or completed, etc. I wonder, in gcms terms, regarding eligibility, whether there is a status such as “in progress” ?

Last edited:

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Really appreciate your explanation. @legalfalcon
I have another question. While waiting my gcms notes, I tried calling ircc call center a few times, and the agents always said my eligibility was in progress, and other parameters passed or completed, etc. I wonder, in gcms terms, regarding eligibility, whether there is a status such as “in progress” ?

In progress is very different from actual progress or notes in GCMS. Only when some actual progress has been made, and the officer has entered some notes pertaining to eligibility, will you see anything in your GCMS notes. The status on page 2 of the GCMS notes may show in progress though. As soon as a file is assigned to an officer and he or she starts working on the eligibility, it is in progress, since the status changes, but that may not necessarily mean that any substantive notes may have been entered. You will just have to wait and see your GCMS notes.

MD1990FSW

Nov 10, 2021
All applicants have 4 security screening. So you are not in the enhanced security screening. You will have another activity of security and then you should be cleared.
Hello @legalfalcon

Can you please let me know if the regular CBSA notes shows if my application is in comprehensive security or regular security screening? because on the getgcms website, there are two types of CBSA notes.

Thanks and I really appreciate your help

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Hello @legalfalcon

Can you please let me know if the regular CBSA notes shows if my application is in comprehensive security or regular security screening? because on the getgcms website, there are two types of CBSA notes.

Thanks and I really appreciate your help
The regular CBSA notes will show the security screening details in most cases. Only when the SS has been going on for over a few months, can you assume that you are in comprehensive SS.

You can read more on comprehensive SS and record checks in the security screening manual https://bit.ly/3LYFJWZ

The CBSA notes will not show expressly "comprehensive," but instead provide you with the dates.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Thank you @legalfalcon for your response.
This is the second page of the CBSA notes for me and my wife: https://ibb.co/4MHt8jP
And this is the fifth page: https://ibb.co/RjCdfyg
I know they have been working on for few months, but is it still within the normal time frame? the link you provided talks about 110 days is this still valid with all the delays?

Thanks and I appreciate you time.
110 is an average time frame. Most SS happens much faster than that, and if your application lands in comprehensive SS, there is no time frame. It can take pretty long. Some cases before the courts have seen 2-3 years.

See Almuhtadi v. Canada (Citizenship and Immigration), 2021 FC 712 (CanLII), <https://canlii.ca/t/jgv01>

Application field in 2016 and was pending in 2021, when the case was filed.

Now the above is an exception, but in many cases 12 months or longer is not something unusual.

yslyslysl

Star Member
Jul 16, 2020
Hello… I just received my GCMS notes and noted that it’s stuck at info sharing… it’s been a few months already. The status in USA - ready for assessment. Usually how long will it take? It’s so annoying…

And will the security be started after info sharing completed?

Thanks!

mtc430

Mar 12, 2023
Hello @legalfalcon

I received my GCMS notes, on the second page everything is passed except security shows not started, and the latest notes are as these: https://ibb.co/zXP0qst , it seems something is hidden in the notes 1 (Text: file pending, there seems to be half of "a" and the rest is hidden), and there is a s.21 on the top right corner.

And my primary office is RROC.

Does this mean they are waiting for security results to finish the final approval?

Your help will be appreciated.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Hello @legalfalcon

I received my GCMS notes, on the second page everything is passed except security shows not started, and the latest notes are as these: https://ibb.co/zXP0qst , it seems something is hidden in the notes 1 (Text: file pending, there seems to be half of "a" and the rest is hidden), and there is a s.21 on the top right corner.

And my primary office is RROC.

Does this mean they are waiting for security results to finish the final approval?

Your help will be appreciated.
If you requested your GCMS notes from IRCC, security is redacted under section 21. S.21 states:

21 The head of a government institution may refuse to disclose any personal information requested under subsection 12(1) the disclosure of which could reasonably be expected to be injurious to the conduct of international affairs, the defence of Canada or any state allied or associated with Canada, as defined in subsection 15(2) of the Access to Information Act, or the efforts of Canada toward detecting, preventing or suppressing subversive or hostile activities, as defined in subsection 15(2) of the Access to Information Act, including, without restricting the generality of the foregoing, any such information listed in paragraphs 15(1)(a) to (i) of the Access to Information Act.

This indicates that the SS has been initiated.

Reactions: mtc430

mtc430

Mar 12, 2023
If you requested your GCMS notes from IRCC, security is redacted under section 21. S.21 states:

21 The head of a government institution may refuse to disclose any personal information requested under subsection 12(1) the disclosure of which could reasonably be expected to be injurious to the conduct of international affairs, the defence of Canada or any state allied or associated with Canada, as defined in subsection 15(2) of the Access to Information Act, or the efforts of Canada toward detecting, preventing or suppressing subversive or hostile activities, as defined in subsection 15(2) of the Access to Information Act, including, without restricting the generality of the foregoing, any such information listed in paragraphs 15(1)(a) to (i) of the Access to Information Act.

This indicates that the SS has been initiated.
Many thanks!!

meiyou147

Star Member
Nov 29, 2019
@legalfalcon Hi, I received my GCMS note, and it shows eligibility passed, criminality in progress, but the officer put a note as Criminality NRT, now my security is under progress, as I noticed, because of the s. 15(1), the information is hidden, I don’t know what is going on. I am really afraid of my application being delayed because of this, since I’m from China, and I have some travel history to other countries, and also when I submitted my application, because there was no enough space, I put my personal history into additional documents which the officer didn’t take a look, and said I have a gap on the form , he requested a new form of imm5669, I received my gcms note after they started to review it, and it’s been a month now, there’s no update about it, what do you think about my situation now, thank you so much!

MD1990FSW

Nov 10, 2021
110 is an average time frame. Most SS happens much faster than that, and if your application lands in comprehensive SS, there is no time frame. It can take pretty long. Some cases before the courts have seen 2-3 years.

See Almuhtadi v. Canada (Citizenship and Immigration), 2021 FC 712 (CanLII), <https://canlii.ca/t/jgv01>

Application field in 2016 and was pending in 2021, when the case was filed.

Now the above is an exception, but in many cases 12 months or longer is not something unusual.
Hi @legalfalcon,
I received the new CBSA notes and everything is passed with only Security in progress, but I noticed that the App Status: On Hold and App Status Reason: Verification Activity. Is this related to security.

Thank you.