+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Alberta Opportunity Stream (AINP) - Job related to Field of Study?

RobynCarpenter

Star Member
Jan 19, 2022
Alberta
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Nomination.....
05-Apr-2022
AOR Received.
05-May-2022
Passport Req..
13-09-2022
Hey y'all, I'm looking into the Alberta Opportunity PNP stream, and while the eligibility criteria are pretty clear overall, there's one that stumps me.

This page says:
If you are a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) holder, your occupation must also be related to your field of study in Alberta. Review the education criteria section for details on eligible Alberta credentials and approved Alberta institutions.
Unfortunately the education criteria section doesn't mention any details on this at all, and googling didn't help. Background: I have a PhD, and my current work is not related to the (very specialized, tiny) field I did my PhD in, but to the research, stats, and analytics skills I gained and used a lot while completing my PhD. It's kinda rare for a PhD to find a job exactly in the niche they got their degree in, so I was wondering if anyone had an idea what the criteria are or how they decide what qualifies for "related."

May ask a consultant down the line, but was wondering if someone here knew. Thanks!

RobynCarpenter

Star Member
Jan 19, 2022
Alberta
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Nomination.....
05-Apr-2022
AOR Received.
05-May-2022
Passport Req..
13-09-2022
Hi, I am facing the same problem. How is your application going now?
Sorry, I can't help with this, I actually ended up applying via the AB PNP ExpressEntry stream (not via the Alberta Opportunity Stream).

Mohsen13677

Aug 10, 2019
Hello Everyone,
I really appreciate it if you could help me.

I am going to apply for Alberta Express Entry Stream.
My questions:
1- Can I create an express entry profile with Celpip 4 or 5 (Less than express entry requirement 7)? I know I will not be eligible for Federal skill workers and CEC.
2- If yes, my score would be around 360. So, will I be considered under Alberta Express Entry Stream and do I have a chance to get nominated? Min of the score for Alberta Express Entry is around 320. (I don't meet the express entry requirement English language score 7, but having an active express entry profile, Celpip 4, score 360 makes me eligible to get nominated for Alberta Express Entry Stream which the previous draw was around 320)

Thanks a lot

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello Everyone,
I really appreciate it if you could help me.

I am going to apply for Alberta Express Entry Stream.
My questions:
1- Can I create an express entry profile with Celpip 4 or 5 (Less than express entry requirement 7)? I know I will not be eligible for Federal skill workers and CEC.
2- If yes, my score would be around 360. So, will I be considered under Alberta Express Entry Stream and do I have a chance to get nominated? Min of the score for Alberta Express Entry is around 320. (I don't meet the express entry requirement English language score 7, but having an active express entry profile, Celpip 4, score 360 makes me eligible to get nominated for Alberta Express Entry Stream which the previous draw was around 320)

Thanks a lot
1. No. You need CLB 7 to create a profile and be eligible for EE. Then you can select Alberta.
2. You are not eligible but if you were, You will be nominated if your NOC is selected with the CRS score. Alberta doesn‘t post the NOCs they select per draw. So CRS scores may be low so they can select certain NOCs to fill labour demands.

Last edited:

Mohsen13677

Aug 10, 2019
1. No. You need CLB 7 to create a profile and be eligible for EE. Then you can select Alberta.
2. You are not eligible but if you were, You will be nominated if your NOC is selected with the CRS score. Alberta doesn‘t post the NOCs they select per draw. So CRS scores may be low so they can select certain NOCs to fill labour demands.
Thanks for reply. Sorry but i didn't get that.
You mean with celpip4 or 5 i have still chance to be nominated by "Alberta Express Entry", although i will not be eligible for Federalskill worker? ( The reason is Alberta Express Entry selects its candidates from express entry profile. In other being in the express entry pool is enough to have a chance for Alberta Express Entry selection? ( If your noc is needed for Alberta)

Thanks

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks for reply. Sorry but i didn't get that.
You mean with celpip4 or 5 i have still chance to be nominated by "Alberta Express Entry", although i will not be eligible for Federalskill worker? ( The reason is Alberta Express Entry selects its candidates from express entry profile. In other being in the express entry pool is enough to have a chance for Alberta Express Entry selection? ( If your noc is needed for Alberta)

Thanks
No you are not eligible at all for either program. To submit an EE profile, you need CLB 7. You can’t be nominated by Alberta without a profile. You need to improve your language scores.

Mohsen13677

Aug 10, 2019

Oh I see. Thanks for the prompt response. Much aprreicate