+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (H1B Holders) CIC Process

mango.lassee

Star Member
Dec 28, 2008
dna,

Did you get ur H1 stamping done? Sounds like you are back!

dnataraj said:
FYI

The medical documents sent by the doctors may take some time to reach. So don't worry.

In my case the documents were held in California as they had X-ray films. So it got delayed by a day (for clearance).

So sometimes we cannot blame doctors!!

mango.lassee

Star Member
Dec 28, 2008
Sign and date all forms as you would for any other document. For example, if you are sending the pkg on 01-Apr-2009, the date on the forms should be 01-Apr-2009 (plus or minus a few days, I guess), but not 01-Jan-2009 or 01-May-2009. In my case, the forms I sent were signed in Nov 2008 (I had sent these forms to Ab). CIC sent them back asking me to update the date..so I did..

Also, notarize all photocopies before sending to CIC..good luck.

venks80 said:
hi mango.lassee,

Could you please guide me wht current dates.
CIC documents and filled and sent the xerox copies to AINP.

DO you mean while sending the forms to cic we need to put a signature and current date?
Could you clarify this

mango.lassee said:
Got my CIC package back today. They want current dates..surprisingly, not mention of State PCC. Don't know if they will ask this later..

harip said:
Hello Friends,
I sent my package to CIC Baffalo last week, but After reading all these threads I feel like my package will be returned since I send the same documents which I have signed while sending for AINP Office in Oct-2008. Since our signatures are not current, I am now expecting that my package may be returned but will keep you posted on this.

Please let me know if anybody is in the same situation.

Thanks
Hari

mango.lassee

Star Member
Dec 28, 2008
Ow...that is tough..but at least you are among family and friends in India..best of luck to you..

Out here, things are just going to get difficult..
http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/Wells-told-staff-may-cut/story.aspx?guid={617FC24E-1EF6-4DCF-8736-C4E6813515DD}

dnataraj said:
mango.lassee said:
dna,
No. It takes >4 months these days I heard!!!

dnataraj

Jul 9, 2008
mango.lassee said:
Ow...that is tough..but at least you are among family and friends in India..best of luck to you..

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/Wells-told-staff-may-cut/story.aspx?guid={617FC24E-1EF6-4DCF-8736-C4E6813515DD}

dnataraj said:
mango.lassee said:
dna,

Sometimes I look at these developments in a positive sense in the long run.
US developed as a world leader partly due to immigrant's contributions.
Lets make Canada the best country in the world!!

A

Albertagoverner

dnataraj said:
mango.lassee said:

dnataraj said:
mango.lassee said:
dna,

Sometimes I look at these developments in a positive sense in the long run.
America developed as a world leader partly due to immigrant's contributions.
Lets make Canada the best country in the world!!
The problem with canada's economic development is climate that is the biggest reason that around 40% Canada is not productive in terms of farming, agriculture and Industrial Development. The few cities like Vancouver, Tornoto, Ottawa, Regina, edmonton and Calgary are the economic entry door of this country. Rest Upper Northern Canada Northwestern territories, Yukon, Prince Edward Islands are not much productive. Even if consider the far eastern province like Newfoundland and Labrador, is not much productive. But definitely through Immigration they can meet the great challenges.

Retro

Feb 26, 2009
Guys,

Layoffs are imminent again in my company. And there's a good chance that our department may layoff some more including my position.
I am hoping that they will give a month's notice or something like that. My CIC for AINP is in process and Buffalo office had
received my application on the 4rth of March. I haven't heard back from them till now which is a good sign meaning that they
may not have found any issues with the application I hope. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I would definitely prefer to complete the CIC process while I am here in the U.S but in case of a layoff what plan should I follow.
I had these questions or steps in my mind and need some advice on all this. Discussing this would help a lot of other forumers
who are going through this situation or are expecting layoffs to take place in their companies.

1) Inform CIC about the change in mailing address and give Buffalo office my home country's address as the new address. Continue the process from there.

2) Wait somehow till the end of May at the current U.S address ( don't know if that would be legal if service is terminated by the end of April), get the AOR/Medical requests, fly back home and get the medical done over there. Carry on the process in Buffalo office from home country.

3) Fly back home and give CIC any friend's address in the US, ask him to mail your CIC package(AOR) to your home country and then notify CIC of your home country address.

4) Get a Canadian visit visa while on job and if laidoff, move to Alberta and inform CIC about your new Canadian address and complete the process there.

5) Continue living legally in the US if laidoff by changing to F1 visa status or by an H1 transfer and complete the CIC process while staying in the US. (F1 is a costly affair and H1 transfers are difficult these days)

What would be the best thing to do? Any other ideas or suggestions. Would greatly appreciate your responses.

bendjoe

Aug 23, 2008
Retro said:
1) Inform CIC about the change in mailing address and give Buffalo office my home country's address as the new address. Continue the process from there.
This is the best option also inform AINP about this. Definitely try to wait until AOR. Go home and relax during this period.

strawberry1009

Jul 22, 2008
I think you can stay here for a month or more after being laid off. I remember from my lawyer before that once you are laid off, you have 30 days or something to get a new employer. You can use that 30 days to wait for your AOR and medical. Once medical is complete you can go back to home country. If it were me, this is the way i would go.

magicjack

Apr 1, 2009
You can stay legally in us for 60 days of time after your last pay stub, and as u mention that it still one month for you then i think its a 90 days period you have and i think you will get all this clear with in this days...
2nd option for you is if nothing in positive way then go to canada as a visitor visa because u r application is on last stage and if you file and change the address in india it will took more then 6 to 8 months to trasnfer your case in india....

aNewHope

Star Member
Feb 24, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Retro:

I would suggest consulting an immigration attorney to be safe. The advice you get here is in good faith but since none of us are lawyers you should not use this advice as basis for staying here after your H1 expires. I have had lawyers tell me that legally you are expected to leave immediately after the termination of your H1. Any grace period is purely anecdotal, without any legal basis and completely based on the discretion of the presiding officer if you do end up in legal trouble. Given these circumstances I would not count on too much generosity on the part of USCIS.

Please consult an immigration attorney to get the best advice.

Cheers

Retro said:
Guys,

Layoffs are imminent again in my company. And there's a good chance that our department may layoff some more including my position.
I am hoping that they will give a month's notice or something like that. My CIC for AINP is in process and Buffalo office had
received my application on the 4rth of March. I haven't heard back from them till now which is a good sign meaning that they
may not have found any issues with the application I hope. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I would definitely prefer to complete the CIC process while I am here in the U.S but in case of a layoff what plan should I follow.
I had these questions or steps in my mind and need some advice on all this. Discussing this would help a lot of other forumers
who are going through this situation or are expecting layoffs to take place in their companies.

2) Wait somehow till the end of May at the current U.S address ( don't know if that would be legal if service is terminated by the end of April), get the AOR/Medical requests, fly back home and get the medical done over there. Carry on the process in Buffalo office from home country.

3) Fly back home and give CIC any friend's address in the US, ask him to mail your CIC package(AOR) to your home country and then notify CIC of your home country address.

4) Get a Canadian visit visa while on job and if laidoff, move to Alberta and inform CIC about your new Canadian address and complete the process there.

5) Continue living legally in the US if laidoff by changing to F1 visa status or by an H1 transfer and complete the CIC process while staying in the US. (F1 is a costly affair and H1 transfers are difficult these days)

What would be the best thing to do? Any other ideas or suggestions. Would greatly appreciate your responses.

divagirl

Jan 8, 2009
magicjack said:
You can stay legally in us for 60 days of time after your last pay stub, and as u mention that it still one month for you then i think its a 90 days period you have and i think you will get all this clear with in this days...
2nd option for you is if nothing in positive way then go to canada as a visitor visa because u r application is on last stage and if you file and change the address in india it will took more then 6 to 8 months to trasnfer your case in india....
Not true... Once you loose your job, you are out of status and have to leave the country as soon as possible or change to another legal status.

ingegarcia

Jun 19, 2008
Edmonton
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
28-01-2010
I agree with divagirl there is no such rule regarding the number of days... once you loose your job you are out of status... however you can request to change your status while you find job... below is a useful link I found about this...

"Where an H-1B worker has been laid off or terminated, and his H-1B petition has not been revoked, the worker may request a change of status to another nonimmigrant category while he seeks employment. If the worker locates suitable employment, the new employer to submit an H-1B petition to the INS and request a change of employers. The amount of time that an H-1B worker may stay in the U.S. after being laid off or terminated is not defined in the law or the regulations. Various INS officials over the years have opined the H-1B worker must submit an application for a change of employers within 30 days or 60 days. However, these statements are merely opinions and do not have the force of law."

http://ezinearticles.com/?How-To-Handle-A-Lay-Off-In-USA---For-the-H1-B-Visa-Holder&id=564174

magicjack said:

yrinaldy

Star Member
Sep 26, 2008
I think there is no rule saying 30 days or so, you just have to transfer your h1b asap.

Or... change status to F1 (or any other status - tourist, etc) and expect to stay here during the CIC process... This is what I'm doing currently, and I'm waiting for my F1 approval since my h1b will expire by end of May. I hope to get my AOR/Medical and all finished before then...

Hope this helps!

ingegarcia said:
I agree with divagirl there is no such rule regarding the number of days... once you loose your job you are out of status... however you can request to change your status while you find job... below is a useful link I found about this...

"Where an H-1B worker has been laid off or terminated, and his H-1B petition has not been revoked, the worker may request a change of status to another nonimmigrant category while he seeks employment. If the worker locates suitable employment, the new employer to submit an H-1B petition to the INS and request a change of employers. The amount of time that an H-1B worker may stay in the U.S. after being laid off or terminated is not defined in the law or the regulations. Various INS officials over the years have opined the H-1B worker must submit an application for a change of employers within 30 days or 60 days. However, these statements are merely opinions and do not have the force of law."

http://ezinearticles.com/?How-To-Handle-A-Lay-Off-In-USA---For-the-H1-B-Visa-Holder&id=564174

magicjack said: