Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-08-10
Med's Done....
June 2010
Does anyone know what would happen if say I broke and arm or something while awaiting PR in Alberta?

It is my understanding I am not entitled to Alberta Healthcare until I get my PR

I know when my girlfriend was in New Zealand she injured her ankle and was covered at no cost by NZ's plan.

Harju

Star Member
Apr 4, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Seoul
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/09/2010
AOR Received.
25/10/2010
Passport Req..
02/11/2011
VISA ISSUED...
28/11/2011
LANDED..........
31/12/2011
You can get Alberta Health Care without PR. As long as you can prove you reside in the province and are legally in Canada. We were covered by AHC on a work permit and then later had it continued when we changed to a study permit. This was before applying for PR. If you only have visitor status they would not consider you a resident and not cover you.
If you aren't covered you will be treated then given a large bill.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
From reading some of your older posts, I gather you were working and are being sponsored inland as a spouse. Have you actually talked to AB health? Did you have AB health at some point?

As far as I know, everybody who is on a work permit or a student in AB is entitled to AB health coverage and even some spouses who are being sponsored. I have heard of people in that situation, actually coming to AB on visitor status to apply for their sponsorship and they have even gotten coverage. Talk to AB health and get it cleared up that you have a health card if you qualify. If you don't qualify, you should see about getting some type of emergency insurance. If you get into an accident, it could get expensive for you.

valy79

Star Member
Aug 10, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-11-2010
AOR Received.
27-01-2011
File Transfer...
10-12-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
13-04-2011
LANDED..........
14-07-2011
It's exactly as Harju said. The only thing you need to prove is that you are a resident of Alberta. You'll need to show your name on a lease, bank account, letters addressed to you or anything that can prove that you live there.

I came here on a work permit and had my health care card within a week or so (and still have it). I am not sure about additional health plans though (the ones covering dentists, medications etc). That one I only got through my employer. I know there is Blue Cross, but I have no idea what you have to show them to get it.