+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

AINP - SRS H1B Landing Experience and post landing related activities.

josephdadreamer

Nov 24, 2008
For those who are about to land in Calgary kindly do your research first because hotels here are somewhat expensive and also it's peak season for travelers.

HariMuralidharan

May 13, 2010
bloretoalberta said:
I too am landing in the first week of August and am looking for accommodation in Calgary for a few days. Any good hotel, or any accommodation suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Hi Bloretoalberta,

I too am doing my landing on the 2nd of August in Calgary. Did you already get an Alberta address already . Do let me know if you want to discuss other details. i can give you my email.

BZ Mom

Mar 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/10/2008
Nomination.....
06/01/2009
AOR Received.
19/08/2009
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Done....
28/12/2009
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
01/03/2010
VISA ISSUED...
20/04/2010
LANDED..........
27/11/2010
josephdadreamer said:
kevinctech,

Passport with the canadian immigrant visa and the COPR. They will right away issue you the health card.
We have those documents when we first applied for health card, but the registry did not accept those. They asked for either a lease agreement, a bank statement, a utility bill, etc.

May 9, 2009
HariMuralidharan said:
Hi Bloretoalberta,

I too am doing my landing on the 2nd of August in Calgary. Did you already get an Alberta address already . Do let me know if you want to discuss other details. i can give you my email.
Hari,
Nope, yet to figure out an Alberta Address. Can you please share your e-mail, so that I can sync up with you Thx

May 9, 2009
I am checking in on hotel prices, and ugghhh, they are very very pricey, upwards $150 a night. Any suggestions for some reasonable hotels/accomodation in Calgary?

Also I 'll be around for 3 days in Calgary, don't have a clue on what to do, any good places to visit, any recommendation?

HariMuralidharan

May 13, 2010
bloretoalberta said:
I am checking in on hotel prices, and ugghhh, they are very very pricey, upwards $150 a night. Any suggestions for some reasonable hotels/accomodation in Calgary?

Also I 'll be around for 3 days in Calgary, don't have a clue on what to do, any good places to visit, any recommendation?
I booked it as a package in expedia. Still it came to around $90/day. That was 5 weeks ago.

Manny

Dec 31, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, US
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 30, 2008
Doc's Request.
Nov 25, 2009
Nomination.....
Dec 07, 2009 CIC App. Filed.: Mar 15, 2010
AOR Received.
Jul 06, 2010
Med's Request
Jul 06, 2010
Med's Done....
Jul 15, 2010 File transferred: Nov 10, 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 15, 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 23, 2010
LANDED..........
Apr 07, 2011
If two families willing to share, you can try and share UofCalgary's hotel suite: http://hotelalma.ca/

bloretoalberta said:

helloO

Jun 28, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28/01/2009
Nomination.....
20/04/2010
Med's Request
15/02/2011
Med's Done....
31/03/2011
Passport Req..
22/6/2011
VISA ISSUED...
08/07/2011
Hi There
I have few questions regarding AVR.
1.Did they stamp your I94 or passport?
2.Did you have H1 Visa expired on your passport?
3.Did they put I94 no in the system to check?

Thanks in advance.
tsrikanth said:
Here is my landing experience. I landed on June 23rd(Thursday 12.00 AM night at Calgary Airport and returned back on June 25th using AVR for me and my wife via Niagara Falls border(I feared a lot about AVR, don't know how it works, even my employer also don't know) but its very easy and smooth :). Nobody was asked to surrender I-94 while leaving USA.

We travelled from Austin to Houston, then from Houston to Calgary (Flight delayed for 3 hours in Houston i.e reached at Calgary after 12 A.M in the night).Landing was smooth, in plane they gave us custom declaration form, we filled out and as soon as we landed we went POE counter and gave declaration form, passport.

POE Officer(PO): What's the purpose of trip.
Me: I am doing my landing today for PR.
PO: Is there any goods to follow list?
Me: No
PO: Then you filled Yes for ..... (I don't know what I filled)
Me: We are landing here and will go back to USA because we didn't plan to move now(i.e visa expiry date is very less).
PO scanned our passports, stamped on Declaration forms and asked us to go to immigration .

We went to immigration, there were three officers in 3 counters(one lady is rude :mad:).

Immigration Officer(IO)(i.e He is a nice guy): asked for passport and landing papers . He asked for how much money I have. I said brought $3500 cash with me and $16000 bank balance. He put $19000 figure on paper. He explained that 2/5 years you have to in CANADA and other rules like you can't contest in elections, can't vote when I am using PR. He said it will take 4-8 weeks to get PR cards and he stamped our passports. Said Welcome to Canada. :D

We left Immigration section and saw two lady officers, I gave declaration card to one of her and said thanks. I asked do I need to fill any form that goods carrying with me, she said not required.

Then we went to Hotel(Greenwood suites In hotel) in Calgary. I know this hotel is expensive(2 nights = $340 :() but don't want to take risk(as my wife is pregnant).

Next day I went to Canada Service centre to apply for SIN number and it went smoothly. Then I tried for Health Card in Registry office, they said answer for ‘183 days committed stay in 12 months period' in application. I said will go back to USA and come back after 2 months(I shouldn't say like that). He said apply for Health Card when you come back.
I tried in different registry centres, but they said address proof required and in another centre they said I have to be a member(asking $100) in that centre. Finally decided do not apply for Health card.(because I can't go to all offices as my wife is pregnant, she tired).

We used public transport(buses) mostly. In Calgary trains and bus transportation is good. If we buy ticket for $2.75/person you can use that ticket for 1.30 minutes. Streets are like in Calgary NE, NW, SE(Southe East),etc and names mostly like St and AVenue. SIN numbers you can apply in any Canada Service centres and Health Card in Registry centres. My suggestion is better to go to downtown office(Harry Hays Building) even though if you stay outside of downtown. Any way you can find public transportation.

Then next day(Friday) we went to Toronto(my cousin stays there), spent some time with family. On Saturday around 11 AM we started towards Niagara falls(Instead of high-way, we went through Niagara Village i.e across the Ontario river). We boarded for “Maid of the mist” boat and enjoyed in Niagara Falls scene.

Then we had a tension about crossing the border. My cousin, his daughter, my wife, myself in queue in the car for POE(just like toll gate booth). After 5 minutes, its our turn. We stopped our card near to his booth. My cousin gave 4 passports i.e two Canadian and two Indian passports(We put I-797 approval copies in Passports, we are using AVR). My cousin told he and his daughter were Canadian citizens.

POE officer(PO): Where are you going? (he asked to me).
Me: I am going to Austin.
POE: Do you have a job over there ?
Me: Yes Sir. I have a job.
POE: In which profession you are working?
Me: Software engineer.
POE officer went to another booth(I think, he confirmed about AVR expired passport and valid H1 copy) and came back, said make sure staple I-94 to your passport then said all set you can leave now. (Ohhhh god, we entered into USA). From buffalo airport we went to Austin.

Please let me know if anybody wants any information ?

josephdadreamer

Nov 24, 2008
Kindly check calgary's YMCA.

bloretoalberta said:

C

cchabert

bloretoalberta said:

Check this oout:

http://www.discovercalgary.com/Calgary/Events/Festivals/

Peace!

kirandeep

Jul 29, 2011
Ell.Bee said:
Hi,

I am starting this thread for the convinience of those who are preparing for the landing shortly. Please follow this thread for landing related.

Thanks,
L.B
heloo ,
i want to how to calculate points