+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

AINP - SRS H1B Landing Experience and post landing related activities.

jovan

Star Member
Aug 4, 2009
I landed in Calgary International Airport on Thursday, April 28th 2011.

During the immigration processing at the airport, I told the officer that the Photo specs for the PR card have been updated since I received my COPR and that I would want to submit the updated pics. She looked at the picture on my COPR and said that it was fine and that I did not need to submit another set of pics. She also took my Alberta mailing address for the purpose of mailing my PR Card.

On Friday, April 29th 2011, I went downtown (to the Harry Hays building) to get my SIN. After I got my SIN I also went to CIC office (The CIC office is in the same Harry Hays office building).

When I got to the CIC office, I told the CIC officer who attended to me that I landed the previous day and that I wanted to submit updated PR Photos because the specs have been changed since I received my PPR. She said, "Sure, no problem. Do you have the pics with you?". I said, "Yes". She gave me a form to fill and sign. She took my updated pics and used something that looked like a "Photo Specs Checker" to check the size of the pictures. She asked to see my passport and COPR. I filled and signed the form she gave me. She returned my COPR and passport. She then took the signed form from me and told me that she was going to send the form and the updated photos to the appropriate CIC processing office.

the

Star Member
Jun 25, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/LA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AINP_00-03-2009, CIC_08-04-2010
Doc's Request.
na
Nomination.....
29-11-2009
AOR Received.
24-07-2010
IELTS Request
na
File Transfer...
05-01-2011 to LA
Med's Request
24-07-2010
Med's Done....
06-08-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
03-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
18 March, 2011
LANDED..........
18 July, 2011
Thanks for sharing, jovan. It is so funny that PR card photo specs are different from photos we submitted before, but CIC POE officer does not take any new photos for PR card purpose. If what you did works, I guess it is the only way to avoid any future probems with PR card photos. Please keep us posted when you receive your PR card.

the

jovan said:
I landed in Calgary International Airport on Thursday, April 28th 2011.

During the immigration processing at the airport, I told the officer that the Photo specs for the PR card have been updated since I received my COPR and that I would want to submit the updated pics. She looked at the picture on my COPR and said that it was fine and that I did not need to submit another set of pics. She also took my Alberta mailing address for the purpose of mailing my PR Card.

On Friday, April 29th 2011, I went downtown (to the Harry Hays building) to get my SIN. After I got my SIN I also went to CIC office (The CIC office is in the same Harry Hays office building).

When I got to the CIC office, I told the CIC officer who attended to me that I landed the previous day and that I wanted to submit updated PR Photos because the specs have been changed since I received my PPR. She said, "Sure, no problem. Do you have the pics with you?". I said, "Yes". She gave me a form to fill and sign. She took my updated pics and used something that looked like a "Photo Specs Checker" to check the size of the pictures. She asked to see my passport and COPR. I filled and signed the form she gave me. She returned my COPR and passport. She then took the signed form from me and told me that she was going to send the form and the updated photos to the appropriate CIC processing office.

mapplelover

Star Member
Oct 15, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
ND
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-08-2011
File Transfer...
01-11-2011
Med's Done....
05-8-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
04-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
DM 15-06-2012, VISA 11-06-2012, PP Arrived 20-06-2012
can alberta immigrant on AINP program land in other province like ontario?

can the alberta immigrant (if landing in alberta) give the address of a person outside alberta for receiving of their PR card?

any help or pointers will be appreciated

ekhishana

Mar 17, 2011
Landing Experience:

Landed on May 1, 2011 in Calgary @ YYC. Flew Westjet from NEWK to YYC.

First:

Filled out Canadian Declaration Card given to us on flight. Presented that along with Passport to CBSA officer @ the first counter. She stamped it for entry date and asked us to go to Immigration first, then CBSA to declare goods accompanying and Goods to follow and money we were carrying.

Second:

Immigration section: Immigration officer asked us passports and COPRs. Reviewed it entered it in the system. Asked me and my wife to sign our respective COPRs @ 3 different places on the document. Briefly explained to us our obligations as a Permanent Resident.

Third:

CBSA again, always mention to CBSA that you have goods accompanying and goods to follow and the amount of funds you are carrying in Cash, Checks etc. A lady officer greeted us and asked us our lists and entered it in the system; stamped my goods to follow (since it had my car).

Next day went to SIN Office (Service Canada Location), Opened a bank account and applied for Health Cards at Alberta Registry.

BZ Mom

Mar 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/10/2008
Nomination.....
06/01/2009
AOR Received.
19/08/2009
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Done....
28/12/2009
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
01/03/2010
VISA ISSUED...
20/04/2010
LANDED..........
27/11/2010
Slash said:
I am in the same boat like you. My car is financed and wondering how to go about it. I heard people say that the title is required at time of landing even if you have to import your car later. The financing company has my car title and the only way to get it is pay it off.
First, you need to talk to the financing company and ask if they will allow you to export the car out of the US and import to Canada. In lieu of title, you can present a letter of permission from the financing company.

Please check the www.ucanimport.com website and click on the US/Canada Border Crossing info on the lower right side of your screen.

qriousjunta

Mar 30, 2010
Glad to know about your experience .
Can you please tell me how did you manage to get an alberta address? Can you help me with address in my landing.
I am planning on landing 1st week of june 2011.

albertaorbust

Feb 8, 2009
ekhishana said:
Landing Experience:

Landed on May 1, 2011 in Calgary @ YYC. Flew Westjet from NEWK to YYC.

First:

Filled out Canadian Declaration Card given to us on flight. Presented that along with Passport to CBSA officer @ the first counter. She stamped it for entry date and asked us to go to Immigration first, then CBSA to declare goods accompanying and Goods to follow and money we were carrying.

Second:

Immigration section: Immigration officer asked us passports and COPRs. Reviewed it entered it in the system. Asked me and my wife to sign our respective COPRs @ 3 different places on the document. Briefly explained to us our obligations as a Permanent Resident.

Third:

CBSA again, always mention to CBSA that you have goods accompanying and goods to follow and the amount of funds you are carrying in Cash, Checks etc. A lady officer greeted us and asked us our lists and entered it in the system; stamped my goods to follow (since it had my car).

Next day went to SIN Office (Service Canada Location), Opened a bank account and applied for Health Cards at Alberta Registry.

Ekhishana,
I was on the same flight with my family. were you alone or with family?

albertaorbust

Feb 8, 2009
BZ Mom said:
First, you need to talk to the financing company and ask if they will allow you to export the car out of the US and import to Canada. In lieu of title, you can present a letter of permission from the financing company.

Please check the www.ucanimport.com website and click on the US/Canada Border Crossing info on the lower right side of your screen.
It is not correct that you need title or any other papers when you are landing to import car later. All you need is the form B4A filled out with your car VIN # and car description. The Customs officer will stamp it and keep a copy for their records. I guess you might need the car papers later when you actually import the car.

ekhishana

Mar 17, 2011
AlbertaorBust Response To the following Question:

Ekhishana,

I was with my wife. Were you also with your family?

albertaorbust

Feb 8, 2009
ekhishana said:
AlbertaorBust Response To the following Question:

Ekhishana,

I was with my wife. Were you also with your family?
yes with a boy and a girl & my wife in the front section.

Sinbad

Star Member
Jun 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Mar 9,2010
LANDED..........
Apr 24,2011
Landing Experience
We traveled from Dallas to Calgary by car and landed at Coutts, AB. It was a 10 day road trip through Mt Rushmore, Thermopolis, Yellowstone etc.
Just before entering the Canadian side, I went to US customs (just before the Canadian border, on ur left; there are sign boards) and exported the car. I had emailed 1)Vehicle Export Worksheet 2)Bill of Sale 3) Vehicle Title 4)Vin Inquiry to WHITLASHEXPORT @ dhs.gov 4-5 days before and I called them to ensure whether everything was good. At the customs office, the officer wanted my H1B approval notice too. He stamped the title stating exported. After exporting the car, we reached the Canadian side.At main gate, I told the officer that we are landing. He asked us to go the building on the left. I gave them the documents to the officer in immigration. We asked them about the photos. He said he will check it, and that he will take new pictures in the office in case our pics are not according to specs. Later he informed that it was good, even though it was according to the old specs. We signed document for PR card and was informed that it will arrive in mail. Then, he asked us to go to the export desk, and I gave them all the forms (B4 & B4A). I had some pictures of jewelry in the goods to follow list, but he did not take that and told me that he does not need it and he is not going to send any of these to Calgary. He told me to complete the changing of license plate etc within 45 days.
After completing the all the formalities, which took around 45 minutes, we started for Calgary.

Apartment
I had rented a two bed room apartment on month to month basis before starting from Dallas. Paid one month rent (CAD 1275) as security deposit.

Shipment
Used Vitran. $570 for 500lbs. We packed it extremely well with uline.com 300 lb stackable capability boxes. Everything arrived in good shape. Went to customs to clear it. If anybody needs to know more, I will write later in detail.

SIN & Health card
The next day, we applied for SIN. She gave us SIN no. and told us that actual cards will arrive in mail within 2 weeks. The officer informed us that we will receive a letter stating when & where receive PR card. We applied for health cards at health registry. They also gave us temporary cards and told us that actual cards will arrive in mail. Both cards came in mail exactly after a week. Health card is printed on paper.

Bank account
Went to bank to apply for account, was informed that we need appointment; so got appointment for the next day. Opened account and applied for credit card, for $500 unsecured. (US conversion rate was so terrible 0.92 by scotia on that day, that 6000 USD was just ~ 5500.00)

Dr & Health visits
My son had severe itching and developed rashes after reaching Calgary. So we went to a walkin clinic. It is first come, first serve basis and had to wait for just 20mts. The diagnosis was Calgary weather and asked us to put moisturizer two –three times a day. I had bad cough, told him so. The Dr. said it will go away in 2-3 days time. But it worsened, so after 3 days, I went again to the walk in clinic. Told the Dr. I need antibiotic. So he prescribed one; went to the pharmacy. 7 day Amox course costed just $25. Then we went to a health center and submitted immunization records of my kids. My youngest is due for his immunization and told them so. They said I will receive a call after 1 week. We didn't get any, so called them once again after a week. The receptionist told us it will take 2-3 weeks. So we are still waiting for the call. From the net, we downloaded the list of family Drs accepting new patients and called one. We were scheduled a ‘meet and greet' appointment. The Dr(not the nurse as is done in US) took our past medical history. He informed that we will have to wait till October to do the adults complete medical checkup. Only after the checkup, will he accept us ‘technically' as his patients. He asked us to schedule another appointment for our kids. So we again went back the next day, just to take the kids height, weight and listened to breathing etc. He could have done this the previous day itself. ‘Well child' checkup in US is more elaborate and charts and handouts with information regarding kids are given. Here, we had to ask them to give the height and weight of my 6 month old at least. The receptionist gave it on a sticky note. The experience was good except that Drs are not as courteous as in Tx.

School
We scheduled appointment in catholic school board to enroll my eldest in KG. He was doing preschool in Tx, but we were home schooling him too. They took all our details, took copies of COPR, baptism certificate of the child, parents baptism certificate/marriage certificate in a catholic church .The reviewer took my son(alone) to one room and tested his knowledge and skills for about 20 mts. The reviewer was satisfied and asked us to go to the school (which is the nearest catholic school from our home.) in which he will be enrolled. So he started KG from the next day.

Alberta license
We went to a registry (same one where we applied for health cards) to apply for driving license. You need US license, driving record from DMV for at least two years (to get full license), address proof (copy of temporary SIN letter which you get when u apply is good) , COPR, SIN and health card. Paid ~ $85 per person. The eye test is more elaborate than in US.
Traffic/Driving here is terrible compared to US. Drivers are not courteous. Be prepared to do defensive driving.
We have not yet completed changing Car title. Will write about it later.

My opinion
US is better in all respects except health care. The only thing good I found is health care. But in US I had good insurance, so I never had a problem there too.

Thanks to BZ mom, ag_tou, cchabert, jxjy01 and all the members in this forum for helping us through.

what_a_joke

Sep 24, 2009
Hi All,

I am planning to complete the landing process as soon as possible for AINP.
I have a quick question

Based on the information I have read on the forum and on various websites, I do NOT have to apply for health card immediately upon landing. I could do that when i permanently move to Alberta and also open a bank account then.
So essentially all I need to do for landing is show up in Toronto for example and present the COPR and apply for SIN.
I am planning to return to US using AVR and then move to Alberta next year.

can someone please comment and confirm if this is correct?
the reason I am asking is that I am trying to avoid going to Alberta and complete the landing in Toronto if possible and in that case I will not apply or not be able to apply for Alberta health card from Toronto.

appreciate all the comments please
thanks,
Sandeep

King80

Star Member
Oct 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 2009
Doc's Request.
Nov 2009
Nomination.....
Dec 2009
AOR Received.
20/07/2010
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NY Jan 05, 2011
Med's Request
20/07/2010
Med's Done....
12/08/2010 (reached Ottawa Sep 8th ,2010)
Interview........
waiting
Passport Req..
March 07 2011
VISA ISSUED...
March 11 2011
LANDED..........
waiting
Hi Guys,

Since i will be landing this month end, i have a question regarding getting Alberta Drivers License . According to Website (http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/1671.cfm) A valid licence from the United States can be exchanged for a Class 5, 6, or 7 when the applicant presents a valid licence of equivalent class. All other classes would require testing and applicants must provide applicable medical reports and undergo vision screening. All applicants must produce acceptable identification and proof of residency.

Seems like its just a excahge with some proof of residency.

Do we need to have US Drivers History for getting Alberta D License? if anyone has done that.

Thanks for your help in advance.

C

cchabert

King80 said:
Hi Guys,

Since i will be landing this month end, i have a question regarding getting Alberta Drivers License . According to Website (http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/1671.cfm) A valid licence from the United States can be exchanged for a Class 5, 6, or 7 when the applicant presents a valid licence of equivalent class. All other classes would require testing and applicants must provide applicable medical reports and undergo vision screening. All applicants must produce acceptable identification and proof of residency.

Seems like its just a excahge with some proof of residency.

Do we need to have US Drivers History for getting Alberta D License? if anyone has done that.

Thanks for your help in advance.
I bring my US Driving History, if not you read what the website said, you may be ask to do more things that you don;t need, also when you do your exchange you kiss good bye to your USA License, they'll keep it.

Peace