+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

AINP - SRS H1B Landing Experience and post landing related activities.

Aliya

Jan 23, 2009
Aliya said:
Thanks for your reply! Can I apply for PR card at the airport and SIN number in Toronto. Because I would want to travel from USA to Canada after landing based on my PR status.
Can anyone reply if I do landing in Toronto. will I be able to apply for PR card and SIN number there. I want to come back in 1 week's time after doing landing formalities and so want to give a friend's address in Toronto/ calgary for the PR card. I just want to know if I come back to US before getting my PR card, how will I be able to travel next time there? Thank you.

freeradical17

Star Member
Mar 1, 2009
Aliya said:
Can anyone reply if I do landing in Toronto. will I be able to apply for PR card and SIN number there. I want to come back in 1 week's time after doing landing formalities and so want to give a friend's address in Toronto/ calgary for the PR card. I just want to know if I come back to US before getting my PR card, how will I be able to travel next time there? Thank you.
Aliya,
I completed my landing formalites at peace bridge, Buffalo. The officer asked me if I have an address in Alberta. I gave my friends address. I am not sure if they will accept address other than Alberta for PR. As for SIN goes, I mentioned US address in the SIN appln form and the officer at Service Canada, Niagara did not accept my application. She said that its not a good idea to provide address if one is not going to live in the address provided as this may lead to complication if the SIN falls into someones hands. So I had to come back without applying for SIN. Hope this helps.

-FR

pb

Feb 21, 2009
Hi All -

What address should I mention in PN Status Update - US address or the Canada address which I used for landing??? I am back in US and need to fax the form; so in doubt about the current address that needs to be mentioned on the PN status update form.

I will appreciate a response from other members who returned to US after landing and faxed their PN Status update forms.

Thanks!
pb

Aliya

Jan 23, 2009
freeradical17 said:
Aliya,
I completed my landing formalites at peace bridge, Buffalo. The officer asked me if I have an address in Alberta. I gave my friends address. I am not sure if they will accept address other than Alberta for PR. As for SIN goes, I mentioned US address in the SIN appln form and the officer at Service Canada, Niagara did not accept my application. She said that its not a good idea to provide address if one is not going to live in the address provided as this may lead to complication if the SIN falls into someones hands. So I had to come back without applying for SIN. Hope this helps.

-FR
Thanks for your reply. What would be required to re enter Canada from US once you come back? If a friend/relative in Canada courier the PR card to US after receiving it . Is that okay?

PRmein

Mar 20, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2 2009
Doc's Request.
Mar 31 2010
Nomination.....
Jun 21 2010
Med's Request
Feb 3 2011
Med's Done....
Mar 10 2011
Passport Req..
Aug 11 2011
VISA ISSUED...
Sep 19 2011
Hello everybody,

I recently sent my passport for stamping to Detroit and am planning a trip to Canada to get PR. I've seen people go 2 ways:
1. Fly to Alberta and get PR
2. Cross the border by road into Toronto area and get PR.

I was wondering if flying into Toronto is the same? Basically, I have family in Toronto but no one in Alberta. Please advise if flying into Toronto and staying there for a few days is as good as flying into Alberta.

Thanks a lot.

freeradical17

Star Member
Mar 1, 2009
Aliya said:
Thanks for your reply. What would be required to re enter Canada from US once you come back? If a friend/relative in Canada courier the PR card to US after receiving it . Is that okay?
Till you get your PR card, copy of COPR can be used to enter by land. The officer clearly mentioned that COPR cannot be used as a travel document if you fly. I had requested my friend to mail me the PR cards, but he is hesitant since its not legal to send by mail to another country. Either I have to go there in person to collect or request someone in Canada to pick the PR cards and deliver it in US.

-FR

Sinbad

Star Member
Jun 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Mar 9,2010
LANDED..........
Apr 24,2011
Sinbad said:
This is our PR card experience
We landed in April. At the time of landing, we submitted photos according to the old specs. The officer accepted all our photos expect my youngest one's. I had photos according to new specs with me, so gave that. By June end, we received PR cards for Self and eldest child. Photos of my wife's and second child's were rejected. We received the letter to submit the photos to Calgary office either through mail or in person. Took pictures from walmart and went in person to submit. This time, the officer accepted my wife's and not my son's. So went to Walmart again, took another set. This time, it was accepted.

The Calgary office sends the files to Nova Scotia every Friday. It seems that it will take another 6-8 weeks for us to receive the cards. Will let you know when we receive the cards.
Got my son's and wife's PR cards, after 6 weeks of submitting photos at the Calgary office.

qriousjunta

Mar 30, 2010
Landed 1st July and received cards for all without asking for new photo ( i did submit a clean canada size photo spec at the time of landing). on Sep 15 2011.
Good luck to all

asp1111

Jul 7, 2009
I am an AINP Nominee and had started the AINP Process in April 2009. I received my passport with Immigrant Visa in early June 2011.

I completed landing procedure during Labor Day weekend through Lewiston-Queenston Bridge (http://niagarafallsbridges.com/).
It was around 3-00 p.m. and there was around half an hour waiting due to traffic.

Usual Q and A at the booth. The officer checked the paperwork and passport. Instructed to go into the office.
Inside, Custom Officer verified "Goods to follow" list, stamped it and gave me a copy.

Then I moved over to the Immigration Officer, she again verified all the paperwork and passports.
Asked me about my plans of living in Canada. I told her I will be returning to the USA.
She then informed me that I can't apply for PR card at that moment. When I will come to live in Canada, I can apply for it.
I didn't argue or protest.
After that she gave me the blank PR form and told me that I can fax it to the PR office.
(I think she meant when I will actually come over and start living in Canada, that time I can fax that form)

She gave me a copy (yellow page from the CIC paperwork) as the proof of landing.
Also, explained to me that I can't use this paper to enter Canada by Air or any commercial carrier.

No questions asked about why Ontario, when I had AINP Nomination.

Next day, I faxed the PR form to the fax number given on that form from a Staples shop in Toronto.
I used an Ontario address. I am curious to see what happens. I may have to wait for another 2-3 months.

I didn't apply for SIN Card. To the best of my information, the PR Card is a requirement to apply for it (per SIN website and forms)
Besides, I am not going to live in Canada in near future, so I don't really need it.

I returned to the USA next day through Rainbow Bridge. I have a valid H1B visa in my passport.
Few Q and A. He asked about country of citizenship, I-94 Card, Where do I live, What do I do etc.
I was at the US Officer's booth for about 2-3 minutes.

I haven't faxed the AINP Update form. I believe it is to be faxed when one actually moves to Canada.
AINP probably uses it for data collection purposes and to assess the success of their immigration programs.
They will know through CIC that I finished my landing process. They will also know that I am not in Canada, since I did't fax the form yet.

Best
asp1111

freeradical17

Star Member
Mar 1, 2009
asp1111 said:
I am an AINP Nominee and had started the AINP Process in April 2009. I received my passport with Immigrant Visa in early June 2011.

I completed landing procedure during Labor Day weekend through Lewiston-Queenston Bridge (http://niagarafallsbridges.com/).
It was around 3-00 p.m. and there was around half an hour waiting due to traffic.

Usual Q and A at the booth. The officer checked the paperwork and passport. Instructed to go into the office.
Inside, Custom Officer verified "Goods to follow" list, stamped it and gave me a copy.

Then I moved over to the Immigration Officer, she again verified all the paperwork and passports.
Asked me about my plans of living in Canada. I told her I will be returning to the USA.
She then informed me that I can't apply for PR card at that moment. When I will come to live in Canada, I can apply for it.
I didn't argue or protest.
After that she gave me the blank PR form and told me that I can fax it to the PR office.
(I think she meant when I will actually come over and start living in Canada, that time I can fax that form)

She gave me a copy (yellow page from the CIC paperwork) as the proof of landing.
Also, explained to me that I can't use this paper to enter Canada by Air or any commercial carrier.

No questions asked about why Ontario, when I had AINP Nomination.

Next day, I faxed the PR form to the fax number given on that form from a Staples shop in Toronto.
I used an Ontario address. I am curious to see what happens. I may have to wait for another 2-3 months.

I didn't apply for SIN Card. To the best of my information, the PR Card is a requirement to apply for it (per SIN website and forms)
Besides, I am not going to live in Canada in near future, so I don't really need it.

I returned to the USA next day through Rainbow Bridge. I have a valid H1B visa in my passport.
Few Q and A. He asked about country of citizenship, I-94 Card, Where do I live, What do I do etc.
I was at the US Officer's booth for about 2-3 minutes.

I haven't faxed the AINP Update form. I believe it is to be faxed when one actually moves to Canada.
AINP probably uses it for data collection purposes and to assess the success of their immigration programs.
They will know through CIC that I finished my landing process. They will also know that I am not in Canada, since I did't fax the form yet.

Best
asp1111
asp1111,

I completed my landing on 1st of Sept. The officer asked my Alberta address, but did not mention about any PR application form. I was under the impression that once we do the landing and provide the Alberta address, the PR cards will be mailed to the address we provide. Could you please clarify?

Thanks in Advance.

freeradical17

Star Member
Mar 1, 2009
Sinbad said:
Got my son's and wife's PR cards, after 6 weeks of submitting photos at the Calgary office.
Sindbad,
Did you fill some form to apply for PR cards after landing at port of entry?

Thanks
FR

Sinbad

Star Member
Jun 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Mar 9,2010
LANDED..........
Apr 24,2011
freeradical17 said:
Sindbad,

Thanks
FR
No. The officer prepared all the docs. We just signed the form. I signed for self and kids(principal applicant).

Aliya

Jan 23, 2009
Hi,

Was your PR card applied in Toronto at the time of landing? What had you told the immigration officer? You are just coming for the landing or living permanently in Canada?

Thanks,

ohhcanada

Star Member
Mar 9, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
xx-03-2009
Nomination.....
xx-11-2009
AOR Received.
04-08-2010
Med's Request
08-08-2010
Med's Done....
xx-08-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
01-03-2011
VISA ISSUED...
xx-03-2011
LANDED..........
21-07-2011
freeradical17 said:
Sindbad,

Thanks
FR
I landed on 21 July. I have the same concern, but the officer told me under the new rules, new immigrants no longer have to personally apply for the card. And that at the landing time, immigration officer like himself are to apply for the PR card right there even if we don't have an address yet. In all I spent close to ~25 minutes with the immigration officer. Actually it took him less than 10 minutes to finish the application on for PR and have me sign some docs. The rest we chatted about the states, etc. Remember this was end of July during the debate in congress about increasing the US federal dept levels and how it send very negative signals all over the world. In fact another officer joined the conversation as well as I was the last person in line so we had plenty of time.

Both were very kind and helpful. That said, I didn't have an Alberta address yet, so they gave me this site to provide my address to CIC online as the PR's 46 business day's period won't start until CIC has a physical address. For anyone's info the site is:
https://services3.cic.gc.ca/ecas/?app=coanotify&lang=en

They even gave me ideas what in general I need as a new immigrant like get the address first, then bank account, then SIN number at a Service Canada office, then provincial health insurance from any "registry" office in the province of Alberta. And said that I might be able to get all the said things done once I have a home address close to the downtown area in Edmonton. I am sure it is the same case for Calgary.

In all my landing experience was very pleasant and if the officer a nice persona and you are confident, they will treat you very well especially when compared to the states. Wow what a difference it was.
A a new immigrant you don't yet have an address so you are using the address notification service and NOT the address change service.

Hope this helps someone.

asp1111

Jul 7, 2009
freeradical17 said:
asp1111,

I completed my landing on 1st of Sept. The officer asked my Alberta address, but did not mention about any PR application form. I was under the impression that once we do the landing and provide the Alberta address, the PR cards will be mailed to the address we provide. Could you please clarify?

Thanks in Advance.

Typically, the Immigration Officer will fill in the form for the immigrant who is completing the landing process. If you provided him with Alberta address, he probably filled in the form for you and applied for PR Card.
In my case, since the Officer didn't initiate the PR Card application, I did it myself the next day through faxing the form to PR office.