+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

AINP - SRS H1B Landing Experience and post landing related activities.

canadapr98

Star Member
Aug 22, 2012
legalcitizen said:
here is my take on job search

if you have valid visa ...just complete landing and go back..start searching jobs from US..you can still get calls ...if its really necessary you can easily come to Canada for an interview.. depending on your area/skills it might take 3-6 months to get a job here..its going to be very frustrating job search..thats why start searching from us itself...and you have lot of flexibility anyway( 2 years out of 5)...and its very expensive to live in canada..when you are here..research for a cell phone plan that offers canada/us minutes(you will have a Canadian number)..IMO leaving/reigning a job in US and sitting on bench in CANADA is not a verygood idea..

regards
Hi legalcitizen, Thank you for your valuable suggestions. Good luck with your job search.
Can you suggest any cell phone plans that offer both Canada and US minutes, with Canadian ph number. I will do some research, however, if you know some; please advise. Thank you.

legalcitizen

Jul 1, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadapr98 said:
Hi legalcitizen, Thank you for your valuable suggestions. Good luck with your job search.
Can you suggest any cell phone plans that offer both Canada and US minutes, with Canadian ph number. I will do some research, however, if you know some; please advise. Thank you.
your options are

1. mobilicity --plan unlimited everything (now offering for 30$) +voicemail addon+ roaming addon ( will get you 3 hrs of NA roaming )
2.windmobile -- take a local plan + voice mail addon + NA roaming package (10c per min)..
3.if you have vonage , you can get a second line at discounted rate and may get a canadian number . ( you can fwd all calls to your mobile)
If you have issues getting a canadian number from vonage , go to any 7 -eleven store ( when you are in canada) get a sim card and activate it..then port that number to vonage second line..

I think option3 seems to be the cheapest ..

unfortunately voice mail is not included in mobile plans in canada..you have to pay extra to add..

check all your options..DONT RUSH your move unless you are in visa trouble ..

Regards,

NewHome_Alberta

Star Member
Jun 29, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadapr98 said:
I am in calgary right now, moved 1.5 months ago with a job offer. My advice is to look for a govt jobs. I had three calls while I was in US. I got the offer from the 1st call and accepted. Did not even go for inetrviews for the other calls. Keep in mind that some cases I got call after 2 months. Only consulting firms will call right way (1 to 2 days).
Pay is little higher than I was making in US. My advice is to keep looking put more emphasis on govt jobs. It is very expensive here in calgary. Everything is expensive. If you have a job offer then it would be lot easier for you to make the transition.

legalcitizen

Jul 1, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
NewHome_Alberta said:
I am in calgary right now, moved 1.5 months ago with a job offer. My advice is to look for a govt jobs. I had three calls while I was in US. I got the offer from the 1st call and accepted. Did not even go for inetrviews for the other calls. Keep in mind that some cases I got call after 2 months. Only consulting firms will call right way (1 to 2 days).
Pay is little higher than I was making in US. My advice is to keep looking put more emphasis on govt jobs. It is very expensive here in calgary. Everything is expensive. If you have a job offer then it would be lot easier for you to make the transition.
Can you please give me some info on how to look for govt jobs??

canadapr98

Star Member
Aug 22, 2012
NewHome_Alberta said:
Hi NewHome_Alberta, Thank you for the suggestions. Just wondering, whether you have got a Canadian Ph number, while you were in the USA; for job search. Please respond to the personal message I sent to you. Thanks again.

symmetry

Jan 25, 2010
For those who came back to US after landing and plan to move to Alberta later on: Did you guys send the "PN STATUS UPDATE" form to AINP after landing immediately? Or should we send it only after we move to Alberta permanently?

duiusa

Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa (Buffalo)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 5, 2012 (Federal)
Nomination.....
Dec, 2011
Med's Done....
July 5, 2012
Passport Req..
Sept, 2013
Hello everyone,

I am new on this thread, I saw lot of people here who have applied to from US. I have question but its not exactly related to topic.
I am in dilemma first let me explain my situation. I am Indian Citizen but now in United States on Student Visa. My Visa expires in Dec, 2012.
I have applied under AINP ( Family Stream). I have submitted my Fed application in May, 2012 without FBI Clearance. I had received FBI clearance in June, 2012. I had DUI ( Driving under Influence) but it was dismissed that why Background Check got delayed. I haven't sent FBI clearance yet, I had called CIC twice for sending FBI clearance. They said it's upto u but the will ask when they will open my file. Right now my application is in CPP- Ottawa since June or July, 2012 and my VO will be in United States (Detroit).
Now question is that when I will go to India after Visa expires should I tell them that I am going to India, by doing this New Delhi( India) will be my VO.
I would have been in processing for 7 months here but new VO, New Delhi will start everything from scratch. It might take another 7-8 months or more.
I m screwed:(. What should I do?

Thanks

jag999

Dec 26, 2012
Hi,

I am not new in this forum. I got my PR card in 2011. Now i am planning to move to calgary with family. Can anyone pls help me to get some info..

1# In calgary which place is good to book apartment where we have some indians family.
2# i have three kids .Two is going to school.So can you pls tell us about the school system.
3#I am searching job also. I am in SAP. so there there any good website where i can apply for government job. How is job market there.

Thanks so much .Waiting for the reply...

jonmonc

Star Member
Feb 9, 2012
Moncton
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-11-2011
Nomination.....
17-01-2012
AOR Received.
19-01-2012
Med's Request
29-02-2012
Med's Done....
15-03-2012
Passport Req..
15-11-2012
Hi,

I did my landing on November 20th 2012 and I am waiting to receive my PR card. I am a New Brunswick Provincial Nominee and I am currently residing in the province. I did like to know from your experience on how long does it take for the PR card to arrive. I did like to travel shortly outside the country on vacation. It would be great if anyone of you who have received their PR card recently could let me know how long it took.

Thanks
JonMonc

lavis456

Oct 14, 2012
jag999 said:
Hi,

I am not new in this forum. I got my PR card in 2011. Now i am planning to move to calgary with family. Can anyone pls help me to get some info..

1# In calgary which place is good to book apartment where we have some indians family.
2# i have three kids .Two is going to school.So can you pls tell us about the school system.
3#I am searching job also. I am in SAP. so there there any good website where i can apply for government job. How is job market there.

Thanks so much .Waiting for the reply...
Hi jag999,

We are planning to land in Calgary in march 1st week.Could you please tell me about ur landing in detail.
I have 1 kid and we also wanted to book an apartment around Indian families.
please email me at donivkn@gmail.com.I don't know any body over there.

thanks in advance

lavis456

Oct 14, 2012
Hi,

I am planning to land in Calgary this feb 2nd.I don't know anybody over there.
Can you guide me.email me at donivkn@gmail.com

thanks

lavis456

Oct 14, 2012
Ell.Bee said:
Hi,

I landed in Calgary on 6th April. All they asked me if I was completing my landing and address to send the PR cards. There was a warm welcome after signing the COPR and then went ahead to customs to submit the goods to follow list. Next day I got my SIN application done, it was simple and they gave me the SIN number on the spot with the card to follow at the given address. Following days I applied for RBC account and Health Cards.

Now I am back in the US with AVR. There was no issue with AVR, no questions asked.

I am planning to go back to Calgary in a month or two for good.

Let me tell you friends, there are great people on the forum and I have met some of them in Calgary in person. Amazing personalities and great attitude. They went out of the way to help me other than just providing me with the Calgary address. I cant imagine how I would have to manage without their help.

I am so thankful to this forum and the people that I met here through this journey of becomming a Landed Canadian Permanant Resident.

Good luck to all those who are waiting, though the tunnel looks dark, there is always light at the end of the tunnel.

Best Wishes to all.

L.B

Hi,

I am planning to land in Calgary this feb 2nd.I don't know anybody over there.
Can you guide me.email me at donivkn @ gmail.com

thanks

spausa1980

May 4, 2012
Hi Guys,

I have benefited a lot from this forum so want to share my landing experience.
I am a AINP nominee but landed on Peace bridge near Niagara fall over a weekend.

I went early like 7ish to the border . went into the immigration bldg .. and handed the COPR papers

The Immi officer asked me if I have read the paper for accuracy of information .. I replied yes .. Then she did couple of stuff on the computer and asked me for address to send my PR card ..I gave that .. She wrote it in the COPR and in the computer .. She attached my COPR to passport and gave me back . She asked simple questions like if i was ever convicted etc. is my wife only the dependent on me .. etc ..

Then she said congratulations you are a PR
Note she never asked me if i m here permanently or going back, she did not ask me why I am landing on peace Bridge if i m AINP, She did not ask me for Proof of funds .. (I had responses to all if asked )

Then she asked me to have my B4 list ready so someone can help me with that,.. I had the 2 copies already made as Qorax suggested ... They were surprised at the paperwork and impressed . She said in her 12 yrs at job I was 3rd t have such good paperwork .. She called few of her officers to show it .. They were extremely cheerful and pleasant people .. I was done in about 15 mins top ..

Then we went to Niagara falls from there .. and enjoyed a day at the falls and lunch and feeling happy in our adopted country ..

After that we drove to Peace bridge again to enter USA using AVR ..

The officer was extremely pleasant and knowledgeable.

I did not tell him i want to use AVR .. just handed him my driver licence

Officer = Can I see your passports

I = gave it to him

Officer = Purpose of your visit to Canada

I = For PR paperwork

Officer = What visa you in USA

I = H1 B and wife H4

Officer = Can i See visas?

I = Just gave him our 797 .. I had expired H1 from old job and wife had expired F1

Officer = Looked at all the paper and asked when I plan to move to canada

I - in few months ..

Officer = Is this your car ?

I = Rental

officer = Can i see rental agreement

I = Sure (Gave it to him )

Officer = You are all set .. Best of luck for your move and have a good stay in USA

I = Surprised , happy , Smily .. " Thanked and came back "

Overall good exp and without any problems ..

Suggestion or Advice = Have all your paperwork neat , ready and organised .. And Answer only to questions asked without having open ended responses that can lead to follow up questions ..

Forever Victory

Mar 7, 2013
Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-06-2013
Nomination.....
November 2013, by God's Grace
AOR Received.
11-06-2013
IELTS Request
IELTS submitted: 01-11-2013
Med's Request
Soon, in God's perfect time
Med's Done....
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
June 2014 by God's Grace
Hi Everyone,

I am new here and is one of the pre 2008 backlog applicants wherein I filed my application for permanent residency since September 2005. Now CIC is going to refund us our application fees, but before anything else, I am so blessed to receive a job offer for a management position in Alberta, Canada. I am now processing my papers for work visa.

My question is, how long should I work in Canada in order to be eligible for application to the Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program. I suppose a management position is qualified for the said program. Also, may I ask if IELTS is still required if I apply for permanent residency with CIC under the AINP.

Please guide me on the above. Your reply and help will be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

CanGC52

May 13, 2013
Hi friends,

I was in US for almost 9 years but had to return to India last year since my H1b Visa expired. I had applied for Canadian PR through AINP while I was in US. I have recently got my COPR and the temporary visa and have to leave for Canada in the next couple of weeks. I was nominated by the province of Alberta, so I am guessing my destination has to be Alberta.

1) I was just wondering if I can land somewhere in Alberta (Calgary or Edmonton) and apply for my PR Card by providing a friend's address in Alberta?
2) Since I have been working in India for the past several months, I would like to return as soon as possible to finish ongoing projects. In that case, can my friend in Alberta receive my PR card and courier it to me to India and I can then use it to re-enter Canada whenever I intend to relocate there?
3) How long does it take to get the PR card, apply for SIN Number, etc? What was your experience and how did you go about it?
4) I have done some research and found that typical PR card takes about 53 days. That's a long time to stay in Alberta if you dont immediately have a job over there. I am single so do not mind staying in a shared accommodation. Is there any cheap temporary accommodation that I could consider for staying in Calgary or Edmonton?
5) I have also read that Health Insurance Card takes a long time. Is it OK if I don't apply for a Health Insurance Card in my first visit and I can do it when I eventually return for long term?

I will appreciate your quick response since I really have only a few days to leave for Canada. Thanks.