+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

AINP - SRS H1B Landing Experience and post landing related activities.

sati1234

Nov 30, 2010
landing Questions. AINP landing in Ontario and returning back.

Can anyone please clarify my doubts. AINP members/Quorax please help.
My intent: I'am going to Detroit where my bro stays (as he is the closest to CANADA border) and driving to Ontario (Windsor tunnel) complete my landing and return immediately as I'am planning to immigrate only in December 2012. I just want to finish procedures and return to US (TX) with my wife H4 & child citizen of US.

a) I'am a AINP candidate. Am i okay to do land in another province other than Alberta since i am a provincial candidate.
b) I want to tell the IMO the truth that i am not immigrating now. Will the IMO will have doubts about sending my PR cards to my relatives address in Alberta, and will not issue PR cards since i'am not immigrating immediately.
c) Option: Can i request the PR cards to be mailed to U.S address: my brothers address in detroit. Or to my address in TX?
c) Can i return into the U.S border the same day if the IMO says that she cant issue the PR's to the address i request them to post it to.
d) If everything goes good should i stay overnight in Canada and get my SIN number next day and then return to U.S

I am just totally confused about what to say to the IMO since i am not immigrating now and just want to complete landing and get PR cards and SIN number and immigrate later.

canadapr98

Star Member
Aug 22, 2012
Dear Friends,

I have applied for Canada Immigration through AINP - SRS H1B Scheme. I am planning to finish my landing in Nov 2012 and completely move to Calgary in Feb / Mar 2013 from USA and I have the below questions. Your experience and advice help me to plan better. I appreciate your help.

1) Moving Cars: I will be importing my cars to Canada from USA. Please, based on your experience, how much you have paid for moving 2 cars; and what is the best service to use? I understood from the forum that I need to pay tax and need to do some modifications (day lights, change tires, etc.). How much did you pay for these? I have 2011 Honda CRV and 2007 Honda Accord.

2) Furniture & household stuff: Did you move furniture (sofa,baby's crib, etc.) from the USA, or sell it in the USA and buy new stuff in Canada? Also, What service you used to ship the electronics (TV) and other household stuff? How much did you pay approximately?

3) Bank Accounts & Credit Cards: Did you keep these accounts open or closed them before entering to Canada?

4) IRA Accounts: I am thinking of keeping them open. Any issues I will face as I will not be in the USA? Can I trade in IRA accounts while I am out of USA?

5) How is the job market for Mechanical Engineers (equipment engineers)? I am Professional Engineer (PE) in USA with MS degree, and over 9 years of experience in a Multi-National Company. What is the approx. salary I can expect in a Multi-National Company in Calgary?

6) Did anybody get a job while you are in the USA and your company paid for relocation to Canada? Will companies provide relocation assistance from USA?

7) Is there any restriction on the amount of money I will transfer from my bank account in the USA to Canadian bank account, which I will open after my landing? Do I need to declare this amount somewhere in the Customs forms (B4)? If I bring little less or more than the declared amount, will there be any issues?

8) Any other suggestions / notes you can provide?

Any response is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

canadapr98

Star Member
Aug 22, 2012
canadapr98 said:
Dear Friends,

I have applied for Canada Immigration through AINP - SRS H1B Scheme. I am planning to finish my landing in Nov 2012 and completely move to Calgary in Feb / Mar 2013 from USA and I have the below questions. Your experience and advice help me to plan better. I appreciate your help.

1) Moving Cars: I will be importing my cars to Canada from USA. Please, based on your experience, how much you have paid for moving 2 cars; and what is the best service to use? I understood from the forum that I need to pay tax and need to do some modifications (day lights, change tires, etc.). How much did you pay for these? I have 2011 Honda CRV and 2007 Honda Accord.

2) Furniture & household stuff: Did you move furniture (sofa,baby's crib, etc.) from the USA, or sell it in the USA and buy new stuff in Canada? Also, What service you used to ship the electronics (TV) and other household stuff? How much did you pay approximately?

3) Bank Accounts & Credit Cards: Did you keep these accounts open or closed them before entering to Canada?

4) IRA Accounts: I am thinking of keeping them open. Any issues I will face as I will not be in the USA? Can I trade in IRA accounts while I am out of USA?

5) How is the job market for Mechanical Engineers (equipment engineers)? I am Professional Engineer (PE) in USA with MS degree, and over 9 years of experience in a Multi-National Company. What is the approx. salary I can expect in a Multi-National Company in Calgary?

6) Did anybody get a job while you are in the USA and your company paid for relocation to Canada? Will companies provide relocation assistance from USA?

7) Is there any restriction on the amount of money I will transfer from my bank account in the USA to Canadian bank account, which I will open after my landing? Do I need to declare this amount somewhere in the Customs forms (B4)? If I bring little less or more than the declared amount, will there be any issues?

JENNYSEC, and others; who moved from USA; please advise on my questions. I really appreciate it. Thanks.

JENNYSEC

Star Member
Sep 9, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
DEC 10
File Transfer...
detroit
Med's Request
june 2011
Med's Done....
june 2011
Passport Req..
march 2012
VISA ISSUED...
march 2012
LANDED..........
13 JUNE 2012
canadapr98 said:
Dear Friends,

Hi
I did not move my car by any agency but drove from usa to Canada.And I brought two car full of luggage with me and left bed, dining table,T V closets etc. in usa so don't have idea for transportation cost.But you can negotiate with several companies and can get best rate.
I did not closed my USA bank account But first open account in Canada and wire transferred fund but I have my families in USA (parent and Brother) in USA so they took care of USA account.Your USA credit dont works here you have to re starts it from beginning.So pls. Closed your USA account before leaving USA.

You can try to get job from USA but according to my knowledge Canadian employer need you personal interview.Good job opportunities for Mech.Eng. If you have Oil Gas related experience than it will be asset.By the way how far you from your GC.

Make your car as per Canadian standards. my car is equiped wit that so I dont pay but you can ask your local garage.

canadapr98

Star Member
Aug 22, 2012
JENNYSEC said:
Hi
I did not move my car by any agency but drove from usa to Canada.And I brought two car full of luggage with me and left bed, dining table,T V closets etc. in usa so don't have idea for transportation cost.But you can negotiate with several companies and can get best rate.
I did not closed my USA bank account But first open account in Canada and wire transferred fund but I have my families in USA (parent and Brother) in USA so they took care of USA account.Your USA credit dont works here you have to re starts it from beginning.So pls. Closed your USA account before leaving USA.

You can try to get job from USA but according to my knowledge Canadian employer need you personal interview.Good job opportunities for Mech.Eng. If you have Oil Gas related experience than it will be asset.By the way how far you from your GC.

Make your car as per Canadian standards. my car is equiped wit that so I dont pay but you can ask your local garage.
Hi JENNYSEC, thank you for your valuable suggestions regarding transportation, and bank accounts & credit cards. I am in the power generation side, hopefully that experience will work for oil and gas. Regarding GC, my priority date is June 2011 (EB 2); but not sure how many years it may take ( may be a min. of 3 to 4 years) to get GC. I found the details about car, but one question I have is: Do the car needs to have new tires when entering Canada? My car will be just 1.5 old when I enter (2011 honda crv).

aonedoc

Star Member
Feb 22, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-12-2011
Nomination.....
09-2011
AOR Received.
01-03-2012
Med's Request
01-03-2012
Med's Done....
09-03-2012. Ecas: "in process" since 10th May. and We have received your Medical.
Passport Req..
30 August 2012
VISA ISSUED...
18th September 2012--COPR
LANDED..........
23rd September 2012
I got PPR on 30th August.
In Email -- they have mentioned to send 2 passport sized photos but then they have attached photos specification link for the PR card photos, so I am confused.

My understanding is that PR Card photos and passport size photos are different.

Any suggestions what size I should send for the COPR.

aonedoc :)

canadapr98

Star Member
Aug 22, 2012
aonedoc said:
I got PPR on 30th August.
In Email -- they have mentioned to send 2 passport sized photos but then they have attached photos specification link for the PR card photos, so I am confused.

My understanding is that PR Card photos and passport size photos are different.

Any suggestions what size I should send for the COPR.

aonedoc :)
Follow the instructions (photo specifications link in the email from visa office) that you have received from the visa office. You are correct that the passport size photos and pr photos are different.

JENNYSEC

Star Member
Sep 9, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
DEC 10
File Transfer...
detroit
Med's Request
june 2011
Med's Done....
june 2011
Passport Req..
march 2012
VISA ISSUED...
march 2012
LANDED..........
13 JUNE 2012
canadapr98 said:
Hi JENNYSEC, thank you for your valuable suggestions regarding transportation, and bank accounts & credit cards. I am in the power generation side, hopefully that experience will work for oil and gas. Regarding GC, my priority date is June 2011 (EB 2); but not sure how many years it may take ( may be a min. of 3 to 4 years) to get GC. I found the details about car, but one question I have is: Do the car needs to have new tires when entering Canada? My car will be just 1.5 old when I enter (2011 honda crv).
[/quot
It is not compulsary to change tires but if you feel so do it in USA. Canada is 25 to 100% costly in all terms.

canadapr98

Star Member
Aug 22, 2012
JENNYSEC said:
canadapr98 said:
[/quot
It is not compulsary to change tires but if you feel so do it in USA. Canada is 25 to 100% costly in all terms.
JENNYSEC,
Thank you for the info. Is Canada 25 to 100% expensive comparatively? Where do you live in Canada? Is this in all the places including Calgary? Please let me know.

dirtypolitics

Apr 16, 2012
How to get job offers in BC

Hi all,

With recent changes to the skilled worker program, if not impossible, it's very hard to get Canadian PR without a decent job offer.

There are a number of recruiting companies in Canada which are taking advantage of the new regulations. Simply put, they hunt smart and qualified professionals across the world and bring them to Canada with work permit. Obviously they pay very low salary.

The way it works is that they lend the person they have sponsored to other well known companies as contractors and charge them at least $100/h. However, they only pay about $30 of it to the person.

Of course that person is not stupid. He or she has to be content with that salary for 2 to 3 years until gets his or her PR.

Big companies which have office in India or other places, they are well aware of this. So they never send their employees to Canada more than 1 years, because you need at least stay 1 year to be able to apply for the PR.

Now the question is how to find this small proxy companies?

There are many ways. One way I can recommend (worked for me) is to register into www.baltaza.com and create an impressive business card.

There are some recruiters in the site. If you wish you can network with them. But once you create your card, they will come after you!!!

Another advantage of this site is that allows you prove your professional career to the canadian government.

Ben

legalcitizen

Jul 1, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: How to get job offers in BC

yes .. that true..bringing people on work permit..i am already seeing that..big 5 companies put the same requirement day after day and dont hire any one here..i know some folks who have been working on work permit for more than 2 years..then apply for pr..since they have local Canadian experience by that time , its very easy to get a job after wards..people who are coming as PRs is difficult find a job..the biggest mistake I made is not searching a job from Us..came here and searching for more than 2 months..its very frustrating that even after working for fortune 500 companies still my experience / knowledge has little value here..sometimes i feel like Canadian pr is just to make money for the govt.. and they know that many people will leave the country anyway..thats why they are accepting more immigrants every year..

dirtypolitics said:
Hi all,

With recent changes to the skilled worker program, if not impossible, it's very hard to get Canadian PR without a decent job offer.

There are a number of recruiting companies in Canada which are taking advantage of the new regulations. Simply put, they hunt smart and qualified professionals across the world and bring them to Canada with work permit. Obviously they pay very low salary.

The way it works is that they lend the person they have sponsored to other well known companies as contractors and charge them at least $100/h. However, they only pay about $30 of it to the person.

Of course that person is not stupid. He or she has to be content with that salary for 2 to 3 years until gets his or her PR.

Big companies which have office in India or other places, they are well aware of this. So they never send their employees to Canada more than 1 years, because you need at least stay 1 year to be able to apply for the PR.

Now the question is how to find this small proxy companies?

There are many ways. One way I can recommend (worked for me) is to register into www.baltaza.com and create an impressive business card.

There are some recruiters in the site. If you wish you can network with them. But once you create your card, they will come after you!!!

Another advantage of this site is that allows you prove your professional career to the canadian government.

Ben

legalcitizen

Jul 1, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadapr98 said:
here is my take on job search

if you have valid visa ...just complete landing and go back..start searching jobs from US..you can still get calls ...if its really necessary you can easily come to Canada for an interview.. depending on your area/skills it might take 3-6 months to get a job here..its going to be very frustrating job search..thats why start searching from us itself...and you have lot of flexibility anyway( 2 years out of 5)...and its very expensive to live in canada..when you are here..research for a cell phone plan that offers canada/us minutes(you will have a Canadian number)..IMO leaving/reigning a job in US and sitting on bench in CANADA is not a verygood idea..

regards

ChrisLamb

Mar 16, 2010
I second legalcitizen. I permanently moved to Calgary in the early August of this year and I am still looking for a job (BTW I am a Civil/Structural engineer with an advanced degree from the US coupled with almost seven years of US experience). Back in 2010 when I had just completed my landing in Canada (and gone back to the US to continue my work), I had a phone interview with a Canadian company (they would or would not have hired me though). Because of that, I had a false assumption that there are pleny of jobs in my field. However, now I have noticed there are so many catches in a job posting that absolutely favor local candidates. Since now I have realized the local market is very limited, I recommend everyone to be little more proactive and start looking for a job while you are still in the US.

legalcitizen said:
here is my take on job search

if you have valid visa ...just complete landing and go back..start searching jobs from US..you can still get calls ...if its really necessary you can easily come to Canada for an interview.. depending on your area/skills it might take 3-6 months to get a job here..its going to be very frustrating job search..thats why start searching from us itself...and you have lot of flexibility anyway( 2 years out of 5)...and its very expensive to live in canada..when you are here..research for a cell phone plan that offers canada/us minutes(you will have a Canadian number)..IMO leaving/reigning a job in US and sitting on bench in CANADA is not a verygood idea..

regards

the

Star Member
Jun 25, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/LA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AINP_00-03-2009, CIC_08-04-2010
Doc's Request.
na
Nomination.....
29-11-2009
AOR Received.
24-07-2010
IELTS Request
na
File Transfer...
05-01-2011 to LA
Med's Request
24-07-2010
Med's Done....
06-08-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
03-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
18 March, 2011
LANDED..........
18 July, 2011
I am a Civil/Environmental engineer, applied some jobs from U.S., but ended up nothing.

ChirsLamb, just let you know that UoC will have a Science & Engineering career fair scheduled on September 25, 2012. I think attending the career fair might help, at least you have a chance to talk to some employers face to face. I was planning to go but am unable to make it. If you go, please keep me posted how it goes.

Thanks,

the

ChrisLamb said:
I second legalcitizen. I permanently moved to Calgary in the early August of this year and I am still looking for a job (BTW I am a Civil/Structural engineer with an advanced degree from the US coupled with almost seven years of US experience). Back in 2010 when I had just completed my landing in Canada (and gone back to the US to continue my work), I had a phone interview with a Canadian company (they would or would not have hired me though). Because of that, I had a false assumption that there are pleny of jobs in my field. However, now I have noticed there are so many catches in a job posting that absolutely favor local candidates. Since now I have realized the local market is very limited, I recommend everyone to be little more proactive and start looking for a job while you are still in the US.